Hey Guys - Newbie here :)

Riz

Hey Guys,

Just joined now - was looking online for some weights and stumbled over a post in this website around cheapest weights.  I just had to ask, and for that had to join and well now I am here :) .

A bit of background -  moved to Auckland when I was 19 then completed University here.  Then moved to Wellington in 2010 for work and then London in 2013 and now back to Auckland just a couple of months ago.  Started some gyming at end of 2008 but injured my lower back so went on a long break.  Have been on and off at the gym since then - a couple of months of good gym and then have to stop due to work or something else, and then the cycle continues. 

Finally settled back in West Auckland, and looking to setup a gym at home - so if anyone here knows a good place to get cheap but good quality gym gear then please let me know :) .  I have a smith machine, treadmill, some adjustable dumbells, some weight plates etc atm.  Looking for dumbells from 20kg-35kgs, and possibly other equipment.

I have looked at trademe, fitness imports ($3/kg hex dumbell), number one fitness ($2.79/kg hex dumbell) etc. 

Cheers,

Riz

Welcome to the forum. If you are after cheap then just keep an eye on trademe. The problem is stuff doesn't come up too often. Gyms often upgrade and will sell their gear cheap. Try ringing around asking if they are thinking about upgrading soon you are keen to buy... You never know your luck. Worst they can say is no!

My gym down in bay of plenty is upgrading abit of stuff now and selling some old gear it's not weights but incline bench press etc. most gyms won't put it on trademe they will sell through word of mouth. Often so cheap not worth putting on trademe so ring around.

Just joined now - was looking online for some weights and stumbled over a post in this website around cheapest weights.  I just had to ask, and for that had to join and well now I am here :) .

Excellent! It's good to have you here, Riz. Now you've joined, stick around!

If you've already got adjustable dumbbells, that's certainly the cheapest way of covering off a wide range of weights, so I'd probably keep going down that route. But if you're looking for the convenience of preconfigured dumbbells, then go with what Realtalk says.