My workout journal

Alphens88

Hi all, thought I'd start workout log/journal.

Basically this going to track progress, give updates and will this hopefully give me a little bit accountability. I aim to put up weekly summary of training. Happy for input, tips or ideas so please comment.

I base my training around addressing my weaknesses, sustainability and enjoyment.

I'm running a smolov jnr type program with my main lift being incline bench with max of 100kg to start. I've never really done front squatting so wanted a big compound movement that I would hopefully be able to progress at a reasonable rate and also would or could potential help back squat. My theoretical max for FS was 112.5kg. And for this I put my Deadlift on maintenance.

Basically 3 mesocyles each with a deload week and retest of max at end of each deload.

I have just finished week 11 of 14. 

1st meso: (weeks 1-5) 

bench 3 times week, FS 2, DL 2

New Incline Bench max 112.5kg

2nd meso: (weeks 6-10)

Bench 3 times week, FS 2, Back day bodybuilder style

Gave up on DL as my back was ailing a little too much

New Incline bench max 117.5kg

New Front squat max 145kg

3rd meso: (weeks 11-14)

Bench 4 time week, FS 2, 1 each of vertical and horizontal back

Weekly Summary

Day 1:

Inc Bench: 6 x 6 @ 82.5kg

Frt Sqt: 8 reps @ 100kg, 5 @ 110g, 3 x 3 @ 125kg

RDLs: 3 x 6 @ 120kg

Leg Curl s/s Leg ext: 3 x 10

Day 2:

Inc Bench: 7 x 5 @ 87.5kg

Weighted pull up: 4 x 8 with 20kg

Lat pull down (wide grip): 2 x 12 @ 72

Uni lat row: 2 x 12

Bicep curl: 3 sets 12,10,8 reps

Day 3:

Inc Bench: 8 x 4 @ 92.5kg

Frt Sqt: 2 x 8 @ 100kg, 3 x 5 @ 110kg

Lunge: 3 x 6 @ 80kg (6 each leg)

Leg Curl s/s Leg ext: 2 x 15

Day 4:

Inc Bench: 10 x 3 @ 97.5kg

1 arm t-bar row: 12 @ 35kg, 10 @ 45kg, 2 x 8@50kg

Seated Row wide grip: 12 @ 54kg, 10 @ 66, 10 @ 78

Standing overhead press: 5 reps @ 60 kg (wouldn't normally do, thought I'd give a go because of horley's giveaway lol)

Lat raise: 3 x 12 @ 10kg, 12kg, 14kg

Bicep curl: 3 sets, 14, 12, 10 reps

Cable bicep curl s/s Tricep push down: 2 sets 10-12

Haven't really put weights for my accessory work, I tend auto-regulate that depending on how I'm feeling. My main emphasis is obviously incline bench and front squat. Have had quite a bit of improvement in these but this is largely because I'm getting better at the movement ie better technique which results in better muscle recruitment etc etc and all that nonsense. Hopefully push 120 something in few weeks and 155 in FS.

Awesome to see another log. Are you going to put up stats and photos, or is the focus now more on the powerlifting side of powerbuilding?

Benching 4 times a week! Man, I don't think I'd make it into week 2 without breaking something...

Standing overhead press: 5 reps @ 60 kg (wouldn't normally do, thought I'd give a go because of horley's giveaway lol)

You must have just signed up after that challenge. Never mind - there'll be more. What did you think of the OHP?

Righto, so here are some current pics of your 4 basic 1/4 turns. Weight is about 76.5kgs.

I generally take photo's the first weekend of every month just to gage where I'm at.

Still not entirely sure what my focus is. Basically I'm just trying to get stronger, enjoy myself and maintain a reasonable level of conditioning (yeah I admit I'm a little vain). I figure incorporating power lifting type training methods will help with strength. That, and I got sick of the stereotypical bodybuilder approach where you go in and train whatever muscle into submission ie volume and more volume, drop sets and failure etc etc I like to think and now I know there are smarter ways, not necessarily better but more appropriate for me and my lifestyle.

On the OHP, yeah that was for a giggle. I do enjoy shoulder pressing but I don't really train shoulders or in particular my anterior delt. Most/all bench pressing movements mimic the same movement as a front raise and shoulder press in terms of shoulder I find. With that in mind plus the fact I'm benching 3 times (now 4!!) a week would be serious overkill. Genetically shoulder's are probably one of my better features too.

I can tell from this first week despite slightly lighter weights this is going to be tough. I don't think it's the frequency more the intensity that will wear me down. We shall see

post-11598-0-88799700-1436083566_thumb.j

post-11598-0-54313600-1436083572_thumb.j

post-11598-0-36368000-1436083578_thumb.j

post-11598-0-24743500-1436083584_thumb.j

Still not entirely sure what my focus is. Basically I'm just trying to get stronger, enjoy myself and maintain a reasonable level of conditioning (yeah I admit I'm a little vain). I figure incorporating power lifting type training methods will help with strength. That, and I got sick of the stereotypical bodybuilder approach where you go in and train whatever muscle into submission ie volume and more volume, drop sets and failure etc etc I like to think and now I know there are smarter ways, not necessarily better but more appropriate for me and my lifestyle.

good thinking bro. all different type of training have their place, but from personal experience and from others I know, chasing strength is a good measurable way to progress, and how you look while you get stronger is just dependent on diet.

this will be a good journal to follow

good thinking bro. all different type of training have their place, but from personal experience and from others I know, chasing strength is a good measurable way to progress, and how you look while you get stronger is just dependent on diet.

this will be a good journal to follow

Thanks mate, and you definitely hit the nail on the head why strength is appealing to me. Once the beginner gains dry up you have to work a lot harder for results to be seen. With strength you know when you've made progress or haven't. It's not subjective you either have or haven't.

I got sick of the stereotypical bodybuilder approach where you go in and train whatever muscle into submission ie volume and more volume, drop sets and failure etc etc I like to think and now I know there are smarter ways

Realtalk, I think we've found you a soulmate! :D

Weekly Summary

Body weight: 76.4

Was an interesting week of training. Bit of stuff going on this weekend so had to go back to back twice (Mon,-Tue, Thur-Fri) to fit sessions in.

Standard increase of 5kg on inc press. Felt really good on first two days, ok on day 3 and hardish on day 4. Will increase all weights by 2.5kg for this last week and hopefully train Mon, Tue, Thur and Sat. 

Front squats went as planned with slight increase in volume. Will increase again this coming week maybe throw in an AMRAP.

Will keep back work the same.

Worked hard on getting my breathing patterns a bit better. Definitely helped in latter part of sets mentally felt I would be able to grind better if needed.

On a side note, people at the gym talking about how they train "heavy" then proceed to lift the weight for 3-4 sets of 12 reps... They make me sick.

Day 1:

Inc Bench: 6 x 6 @ 87.5kg

Frt Sqt: 8 reps @ 100kg, 5 @ 110g, 4 x 3 @ 125kg

Day 2:

Inc Bench: 7 x 5 @ 92.5kg

Weighted pull up: 4 x 8 with 25kg

Day 3:

Inc Bench: 8 x 4 @ 97.5kg

Frt Sqt: 2 x 8 @ 100kg, 3 x 6 @ 110kg

Lunge: 3 x 6 @ 80kg (6 each leg)

Seated calf raise: 3 x 12

Day 4:

Inc Bench: 10 x 3 @ 102.5kg

1 arm t-bar row: 12 @ 45kg, 10 @ 50kg, 1 x 10@55kg

Seated Row V-bar: 12 @ 78kg, 10 @ 90, 10 @ 96

Lat raise: 3 x 12 @ 12kg, 14kg, 14kg

Bicep curl: 3 x 12 @ 14kg

Cable bicep curl s/s Tricep push down: 2 sets 10-12

Weekly Summary

Body weight: 77.4

Pretty average week of training, but got it done. Looking forward to changing focus

Day 1: Mon

Inc Bench: 6 x 6 @ 90kg

Frt Sqt: 8 reps @ 100kg, 5 @ 110g, 2 x 4 @ 125kg, 1 x 7 (AMRAP) @ 125kg

Probably should have had slightly bigger rest periods for FS and taken more time to focus before each set. Wasn't tight enough and formed really slipped off towards end

Day 2: Tues

Inc Bench: 7 x 5 @ 95kg

Weighted pull up: 4 x 8 with 25kg

Lat raise: 3 x 12

Bicep curl s/s Skull crusher: 3 x 10

Day 3: Fri

Inc Bench: 8 x 4 @ 100kg

Frt Sqt: 1 x 8 @ 100kg, 2 x 6 @ 110kg

Back Squat: 1 x 3 @ 140, 1 x 1 @ 160, 1 x 180 (equal PR attempt FAIL)

Seated calf raise: 3 x 12

Link to failed squat below lol. Was a tad annoyed I didn't get it, oh well technique wasn't really on point 

Day 4:

Inc Bench: 5 x 3 @ 105kg, 2 x 2 @ 110kg, 1 @ 115kg, 1 @ 117.5kg

1 arm t-bar row: 10 @ 45kg, 10 @ 50kg, 1 x 10@55kg

Seated Row V-bar: 12 @ 84kg, 10 @ 96

DB  row: 2 x 12 @ 40kg

Lat raise: 3 x 12 @ 12kg

Bicep curl: 3 x 12 @ 14kg

Going to take a week few days off now as I have a course out of town for a few days. Try hit new PR on Inc bench and FS late next week. If someone could point me in the direction of how to upload instagram vid I'll post my attempt or attempts too

If someone could point me in the direction of how to upload instagram vid I'll post my attempt or attempts too

^ Like that. ;-)

All you have to do is paste the URL in here, and the system does the rest for you. Just make sure it's pasted in as plain text:

ht tps://instagram.com/p/5RKtOBxLyg/?taken-by=loganwhens

and not a link:

https://instagram.com/p/5RKtOBxLyg/?taken-by=loganwhens

otherwise the system thinks you really do mean to add a link, and won't substitute it with the Instagram code.

If you need it, there's a "Remove Link" button in the editor you can use to make it plain text again.

Weekly Summary

Bodyweight 76.2

Taken the week of since last saturday as had a course for studies Mon-Wed out of town.

Today was PR day where I tried to set new PR's in incline bench and front squat.

Bench wasn't good lol and cheated a bit

60 x 8

90 x 4

100 x 2

110 x 1

120 x 1 (PR)

https://instagram.com/p/5gzz2FxL2Y/?taken-by=loganwhens

Front Squat wasn't too flash either

60 x 8

100 x 5

120 x 3

140 x 1

150 x 1 (PR)

And for the sake of it threw in a DL attempt and failed. Technique looks all out of whack  :-(

100 x 4

140 x 2

180 x 1

205 x 1 (PR attempt)

5 x 3 @ 100kg after

Not sure where to from here, might look to change it up a bit. Add some volume, also noticed some serious muscle in balances so maybe a bit more unilateral work.

Bench looked close to a fail. What do you do if you get stuck?

Ha, not that you could see them but there were people behind me in case. 

My personal preference is not to have spotter because 9 times out 10 they will come in too early and then spin you some BS "that was all you"

That said, I won't try a weight I'm not confident of lifting.

I did have one fail where I couldn't rack it in the past 3 months with no spotter, it was on a 8x4 day I think, and that's when i'll roll one way then roll the other. Not recommended but a good skill to have. I wouldn't try set new 1RM with out someone in close proximity put it that way

• 2 weeks later...

Weekly Summary

Body weight: 77.2

Changing up training for next few months. Reintroducing back squats, deadlifts, flat bench, a bit more bench and deadlift accessory work and overall increase in volume. Won't be doing anywhere close to max on deads as the main focus will be power/technique. 

Squatting 3 x week. Alternating BS and FS - BS strength, FS hyper, BS power, FS strength

Bench 3 x week. Flat strength, incline hyper, flat power

Deadlift 2 x week. Both sessions technique/power

So this week has been a feel out week, to see where I was at with accessory work and how BS, flat bench and deads felt. After this week not sure if I'll low bar or high bar back squat, certainly not used to having the weight on my back haha, it'll harden up in no time though. Flat bench was weird, been so long since I've done it will put a vid next week. Deads were alright, was using no weight though so we'll see. Basically going to adopt a DUP style approach for squats and bench for progression and auto regulate Deads. 

Back Squat (strength): 4 sets x 5 reps @ 140kg

Deads(technique): 8 x 3 @ 100kg

Glute ham raise: 3 x 10

DB row: 3 x 10

Leg Curl: 2 x 10

EZ bar skull crushers: 3 x 8-12

Tri push down: 3 x 8-12

Day 2: Tue

Flat Bench: 6 x 3 @ 95kg

Inc DB press: 10 @ 30kg, 10 @ 36kg, 2 x 8 @ 42kg

Overhead BB press: 3 x 12 @ 50

EZ bar bicep curl: 3 x 8-12

Hammer curl: 3 x 8-12

Day 3: Thur

Frt Sqt: 4 x 5 @ 120kg

Deads: 8 x 3 @ 100kg

Inc Bench: 4 x 8 @ 85kg

Close grip bench: 3 x 10 @ 50kg

Weighted pull up: 4 x 8 @20kg

Uni lateral row: 3 x 10

Day 4: Fri

Back Squat (power): 8 x 3 @ 140kg

Glute ham raise: 3 x 10

Flat Bench: 6 x 3 @ 100kg

Inc DB press: 3 x 10 @ 36kg

Body weight: 77.1

Another week down, body is feeling it a little with increased assistance work and change in exercises.

Groin and hip flexors definitely tight from Deads, making it harder to hit depth on squats. None the less was a decent week and will look to add weight to most major lifts this week.

I don't think I put my lifts up but operating with maxs of BS 175kg, FS 150kg, flat bench 125kg and inc bench 120kg.

This week coming up:

Back squat 8x3 @ 80%, Front squat 5x5 @80% + 5kg, Back squat 5x5 @80% + 5kg

Flat bench 5x5 @ 80% + 5kg, incline bench 4x8 @70%, Flat Bench 8x3 @ 80%

Deadlift 8x3 @ 120kg

Deadlifts seem to be coming along. Trying to do a bit more prehab work so can get into better position.

Squats feel good, hit 140x9 in last set on Wednesday prob had more

Bench still a little awkward, weight feels kinda heavy but moving alright so will just keep it going.

Weekly Summary

Front squat: 5 sets x 5 reps @ 120kg

Deads: 8 x 3 @ 110kg

Back extension: 3 x 10

Flat Bench: 5 x 5 @ 100kg (last set AMRAP got 8, probably had more but no spot so didn't risk)

Inc DB press: 4 x 8 @ 36

Overhead BB press: 3 x 10 @ 50

Rear delt: 3 x 12

Day 3a: Wed

Back squat: 5 x 5 @ 140kg (last set AMRAP got 9)

Leg ext: 3 x 10-12

Day 3b: Thur

Deads: 8 x 3 @ 100kg

Inc Bench: 4 x 8 @ 80kg

EZ bar bicep curls: 3 x 8-12

Day 4: Sat

Front Squat (power): 4 x 8 @ 105kg

Leg curl: 3 x 10-12

Flat Bench: 6 x 3 @ 100kg

Inc DB press: 3 x 10 @ 36kg

Pec dec: 2 x 10-15

Body weight: 76.8

So this happened

Training was good up until yesterday. Wrist was a bit sore after Thursday workout, and stuffed when I woke up in the morning. First notable gym related injury I've ever had, so will adjust training for next few weeks and moving forward.

Weekly Summary

back squat: 8 sets x 3 reps @ 140kg

Deads: 8 x 3 @ 120kg

Flat Bench: 5 x 5 @ 105kg

Inc DB press: 4 x 8 @ 36

Overhead BB press: 10 @ 50, 8 @ 55, 6 @ 60

Rear delt: 3 x 12

Day 3a: Wed

Front squat: 5 x 5 @ 125kg

Sissy squat: 3 x 8

Goblet squat: 3 x 10

Day 3b: Thur

Deads: 8 x 3 @ 120kg

Inc Bench: 4 x 8 @ 85kg 

Cable crossover: 2 x 10

Hammer curls: 3 x 10

Preacher curls: 3 x 10

Well, bugger! That's going to make training a bit awkward!

What do you think you did to it?

Yeah bugger is right, just a moderate sprain/strain. Physio thinks its a hyperextension injury and I need to do more forearm work lol

So yeah no push or pulling in my workouts for little bit. 

• 3 weeks later...

After a little hiatus courtesy of my laptop breaking down on me I'm back but not fully training. Wrist still hasn't recovered fully so probably a few weeks from any kind of upper body pushing but oh well.

Training has been a bit here and there, pretty much legs and started doing a bit of back in the last week.

The time off work really gave me a chance to put a bit more thought into how I want to train/goals etc etc.

So ditching last split and easing into a squat 3 x week program, deadlift x 2, and when possible will be looking to slowly accumulate volume on bench press 3 x week when back fully training.

Tonights workout.

Work up to 9RM lowbar squat

142.5kg x 9 (RPE 7.5 maybe so not 9RM)

145kg x 3 x 7

I was anticipating this being a lot harder than it was but still easing back into it so decided not to push it too hard but lift the weight a little for working sets

Pull up: 10, 10, 8, 6

Rear delt fly: 2 clusters (24,12,12,12)