Cardio level for powerlifters

What level of cardio should one who generally trains for strength only be doing during the week? Is running for 15 mins 3 times a week sufficient or to much to help with recovery and what days do you guys do it. ie on training days or rest days. Does it hinder recovery and strength or speed it up ?

I know from personal experience that Mike Tuscherer is a proponent of it...

I recall reading up on a study that closely related upper arm circumference to left ventricular function in the elderly. Perhaps maintaining more lean tissue calls for better cardiovascular system...

I think it's beneficial to have some sort of cardio base, a powerlifting Comp is sometimes 3-5 hours long and long training sessions can have you squatting for 2 hours so having a base of conditioning/ Cardio can allow you to maintain a higher intensity in training for a longer time and prevent too much fatigue on a long day of Comp IMO

• 4 weeks later...

I found during my diet for a holiday recently that at the start cardio was helping my workout endurance, more reps same weight etc - as i got deeper into it, it sucked balls. I was doing 45 a day fasted. Once deficit caught up with me, ded.

But yeah in terms of actual strength I don't think it helped me add weight, but I could pull the same weight for a few more reps - easiest to notice on bench press though. 

#2cents

i do about 20+kms a day walking plus push about 20-25 tonnes of carcasses.the 20-25 tonnes is decieving as they are suspended on rails so the reality is a 30 kg lamb is probably like 10-15 kgs in real free weight.some parts of the day are flat out,others not so hard however it hurts my motivation to train.i cant be bothered.

not ideal for powerlifting however good for fitness.i actually enjoy it.

i do feel weak pretty much most of the time though if ive trained the night before.

plus i feel like my brain doesnt compute things too well after a hard sesh and having to run around the next morning.

i did the smolovs squat routine last yr as well.i reckon i regressed.you gotta be realistic about your capacity.some guys will thrive,i know of better powerlifters than me who work physical labour.