SSB squats... why?

Pseudonym

What's the benefit in doing squats with a safety-squat bar? (I see Tom's doing them in his journal, but I thought I'd ask the question in a new topic)

It looks like they just move the weight forward more - so maybe stress more of the lower back? What's the difference between SSB and front squats?

Takes the load off the shoulders, elbows and wrists. Puts the weight up high on your back and pushes your forward in the squat, teaching you to stay upright and strong throughout the entire movement. Similar to a front squat without the fear of the weight falling forward off your shoulders or the need to concentrate on super strict form. With the end reps in the high rep sets or with a heavy weight I really just muscle these up once iv hit the depth I want to go to. I don't use it at all to perfect my form. So as well as improving your squat it also has good carry over to the deadlift due to the lower and upper back being worked with this bar.

I will re upload that vid to my journal I erased it off YouTube just not by mistake when I tryna upload my ohp vid

We use them like Wookie says for quad work but the main reason is core stability and keeping upright.  This movement to us is an active recovery exercise so it is done the day after heavy squats.  If there is a weakness in the primary movement which the SSB can help with, then it is done on a separate day as a secondary exercise.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been using my one lately due to torn rotator holding me back from normal squats. Im a high bar back squatter still due to flexibility of a 10 day dead tree snake so I'm sure ill get carry over from working with this. Its comfy too, like squatting in a lazy boy.

PS the one I use is at Les Mills - Extreme in Wellington so maybe just play that card at your Les and make them get one haha

Interesting. Although this is largely academic for me, since I don't think Les Mills will be getting an SSB any time soon. Maybe Tom can come up for a casual session and bring his private bar collection. :D

There's one at Victoria Street Les Mills

I would definitely have to say it's the most natural feeling squat for me being a high bar squatter. At least at a lighter weight but haven't tested with overy 80% yet . My back definitely feels it more afterward on the safety bar though than high bar. I'm guessing that's why people say it has carryover to your deadlift. Time will tell.

I think the best part about the SSB squat is the unique leverages, which are sub-optimal for heavy squats. My theory is that teaching yourself to lift heavy using these leverages makes you compensate and adapt. Which hopefully means some carryover to real lifts :)

• 2 months later...