Protein powder vs BCAAs.

Skeletor

Something I don't think anyone has been able to explain to me, even people in the supplement industry is what exactly is the difference between the two. If protein powder contains over 5 grams of bcaas per serve why the need for bcaas at all? How do the 2 differ in effects on the body. Obviously aware of the importance of protein but why would I choose both and if I did at what times would I consume each of the two?

The only benefit of BCAAs is the calories.

If you're in a situation where every calorie matters then a protein shake may bring too many calories.

If you're on some fasting protocol, then, again, it's calories.

Supplemental BCAAs will be digested faster, so will available to aid in recovery sooner, but recovery will be even faster with food (you need more than BCAAs to refuel and rebuild).

Unless you're in late stage contest prep it's likely wholly immaterial.  

The BCAAs in food (including whey) have no different properties to supplemental BCAAs (only the proportions of the various amino acids will differ).  They function the same, assuming a non-deficient diet.

The only benefit of BCAAs is the calories.

If you're in a situation where every calorie matters then a protein shake may bring too many calories.

If you're on some fasting protocol, then, again, it's calories.

Supplemental BCAAs will be digested faster, so will available to aid in recovery sooner, but recovery will be even faster with food (you need more than BCAAs to refuel and rebuild).

Unless you're in late stage contest prep it's likely wholly immaterial.

The BCAAs in food (including whey) have no different properties to supplemental BCAAs (only the proportions of the various amino acids will differ). They function the same, assuming a non-deficient diet.

This is a good post. So many people taking bcaa powders and they have no idea why.

I was recommended to have some fruit post workout for the insulin spike with bcaas at like 10grams per serve, apparently it's better absorbtion post workout then i wait an hour before protein and having a meal.

^^ could just be bro science though

I was recommended to have some fruit post workout for the insulin spike with bcaas at like 10grams per serve, apparently it's better absorbtion post workout then i wait an hour before protein and having a meal.

^^ could just be bro science though

You find that protocol on the back of a tub of MuscleTech?? lol 

Did you not get the insta Memo?.... Protein Powder aint Trendy as F when compared to BCAA Powder 

haha good point

PWO and bcaa's are the way of the future

rosanna arkle isnt posting pics on ig of a 5kg tub of whey balanced on her tits 

Well, not the only benefit. They taste good too. ;-)

(At least, the only BCAA I've ever tried tasted good - I think it was Scivation's Xtend, watermelon flavour, and it was amazing.)

Hahaha I was totally going to mention the watermelon but was trying to limit word count.

I do have a fetish for blue drinks during a workout - I stick to 'Loaded' for that convenient 1 litre serving  :-D