NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Cameron_R

Advice on a body weight circuit for my GF

Hey,

So my GF runs. A lot. She usually runs at 5am for a couple hours before work on weekdays, 3 days a week. Lately the weather has been so shite that she's not managed to get out much. This has serious flow on effects to my personal mental well being.

I have offered to whip up a body weight circuit that she can do at home in the living room on cold wet and windy mornings (while I sleep in the room next door) so that she can still get some exercise, maybe gain a little strength and (most importantly) not get grumpy AF and take it out on me. She's keen to try it out.

So please give me some feedback and advice. I'm going for a whole body work out that she can do quietly. She has zero lifting or gym experience (apart from treadmills).

Everything is body weight unless otherwise noted

5 mins: Warm up - Jumping jacks (not sure if these will be too loud)

Continual repeated circuit consisting of:

- Squats with shoulder press using 1L bottles of water (ie 1kg each arm)

- Couch tricep dips

- Lunges with Bicep curls using the bottles of water

- Knee push ups or if not strong enough, standing wall push ups

- Plank

- Dumbbell row with bottles of water or a 2L bottle of milk

- Superman to strengthen the back

- Calf raises

- 'Scissors' for abs (where you lie on your back with hands behind head then touch elbow to opposite knee and vise versa)

Totally unsure of how many of each she'll cope with. I'll do a session with her to work that out.

Any advice or thoughts on the list? Good bad or ugly?

that looks all good, just thinking back to boxing days, some things that were good (well bad, i hated them, but good)

burpees

close grip press ups with knees on ground to start with (make diamond with thumbtips and index finder tips on ground)

work towards clapping pressup (knees on ground)

bw hip thrusters

wall squat

bw squat

jumping bw squat

walking lunge back and forth if enough room

"jesus hold" lol, hold weights/dbs/bottles/whatevger at 90degree both sides for time, 

theres heaps actually its fun kind of training. imo pressups are hardout underrated, closegrip, widegrip, clapping, etc

Lately the weather has been so shite that she's not managed to get out much. This has serious flow on effects to my personal mental well being.

I LOL'd. :D

To be honest, if she's used to lugging dive tanks around with you, I'm not sure how much good bicep curling a 1L water bottle is going to do. She may find that's way too easy. Same with pushups, but you'll soon find out what level she's at.

It looks to me like you've thought about covering the whole body which is great. One thing I'd suggest is maybe rather than doing one big circuit (which will take a while to get back to the top again), it might help to split it into two or three smaller circuits so the muscles have a shorter rest period. But again, see how she goes the first time around.

I LOL'd. :D

To be honest, if she's used to lugging dive tanks around with you, I'm not sure how much good bicep curling a 1L water bottle is going to do. She may find that's way too easy. Same with pushups, but you'll soon find out what level she's at.

It looks to me like you've thought about covering the whole body which is great. One thing I'd suggest is maybe rather than doing one big circuit (which will take a while to get back to the top again), it might help to split it into two or three smaller circuits so the muscles have a shorter rest period. But again, see how she goes the first time around.

Thought you might like that one LOL

TBH there hasn't been much lugging on her behalf for some time now, so I'm pretty sure upper body strength is minimal.

Thanks for the advice on the smaller circuits. Might give that a shot

Skipping is probably best for her.

Cool. Skipping isn't too noisy on carpet either so that could be a winner.

Um she runs for 2 hours 3 times a week? No way she be able to do bodyweight circuits like that surely?

Yeah, but remember this is for her to do when she does not run. Instead of, not as well as running.