Central Districts Novice 3-lift / BP Champs

Enter online at http://cdpowerlifting.org.nz/cdpa-bench-press-champs-novice-3-lift-entry-form

Weigh-in at 9:00am, lifting starts at 11:00.

All first-time lifters must wear (as a minimum) shorts, t-Shirt and long knee-length socks (for deadlifts).  Lifters who have done one or more competitions must wear IPF approved legal apparel only.  For full details on what to wear, please go to http://cdpowerlifting.org.nz/what-do-i-wear-to-my-first-comp/

OK so one thing I'm confused about. If I enter do I have to wear old fashioned undies and the boy leg type are not allowed? Also is it 83kg or 82.5 kg I would need to be under to make weight?

IPF rules bro so yea old school breifs, no boxers etc. Have had to cut up a pair of boxers I was wearing into undies at a gear check before. Fully srs lol.

And weight class is 83kg and under, the 82.5kg would be if it was GPC

Edit: As I take it you'd be lifting as a novice ? The boxer thing shouldn't matter, you're lifting in a t-shirt and shorts etc anyway so casual as.Plus I don't think they even do gear checks at Raw comps now. But yea just duck under 83kg and you'll be sweet. But tbh I wouldn't worry about bodyweight, just lift at whatever weight you are hit PBs and walk away happy and more experienced

IPF rules bro so yea old school breifs, no boxers etc. Have had to cut up a pair of boxers I was wearing into undies at a gear check before. Fully srs lol.

And weight class is 83kg and under, the 82.5kg would be if it was GPC

Edit: As I take it you'd be lifting as a novice ? The boxer thing shouldn't matter, you're lifting in a t-shirt and shorts etc anyway so casual as.Plus I don't think they even do gear checks at Raw comps now. But yea just duck under 83kg and you'll be sweet. But tbh I wouldn't worry about bodyweight, just lift at whatever weight you are hit PBs and walk away happy and more experienced

Awesome man thanks . Yeah I'll just jump in at whatever weight I guess as long as I go hard. Just want to do one to say I at least did it. Yep it will be the novice .

Awesome man thanks . Yeah I'll just jump in at whatever weight I guess as long as I go hard. Just want to do one to say I at least did it. Yep it will be the novice .

Shot bro ! Sounds like a perfect opportunity then if your training has been going well.

Once you get your feet wet you won't be able to wait to be balls deep in your next comp I guarantee it haha.

Gives you a good idea of maxes etc and then you just want to beat it next time, and the next time... and the next time.... nekk minnit 300kg Pull and 700 total haha.

But srs good luck, be good to see how you find it and how you go in a comp setting

OK so one thing I'm confused about. If I enter do I have to wear old fashioned undies and the boy leg type are not allowed? Also is it 83kg or 82.5 kg I would need to be under to make weight?

Yep, Under 83 means 82.99 is good :)

There's no "gear check" at raw meets but that's for soft suits, belts, wraps et cetera.

We weigh-in the lifters in their undies - and will check then that lifters haven't got Skins/ 2XU or other compression wear under their shorts. 

That's why NZPF has the 'briefs' rule... boxers and boy-leg types can conceal cheating, and to avoid confusion we apply the same rule at all NZPF meets, right up to international level.  Besides, this novice comp's being run jointly with the CDPA Bench Press Champs, where it will matter.

So, BeastBuilder was right the first time :)

Drop a dollar or two on some briefs from the Warehouse, and be prepared to have fun!

I've registered as well, will be my first comp! Scary but will give it a go! 

Stupid question but when do you say how much you want to lift for each round? Just on the day I presume?

You give your openers at weigh in. Your openers are your opening attempts (1st attempts) for each of the 3 lifts. You give your 2nd attempt after your opener, and your 3rd attempt after your 2nd. All the best for the comp!

You give your openers at weigh in. Your openers are your opening attempts (1st attempts) for each of the 3 lifts. You give your 2nd attempt after your opener, and your 3rd attempt after your 2nd. All the best for the comp!

Awesome, thank you. All sounds easy enough! 

lol one quick tip to add to this, after a successful lift stop and think for a minute before giving your next attempt, dont get too enthusiastic when spitting out next numbers (after 210 dead i was so stoked with myself straight away jumped to 227.5 for 500lb which in hindsight was stupid as i could have got 220 or 222.5 probably but now il never know lol)

Yep, RealTalk's right on the money as usual.

What normally happens (at least for CDPA) is that during the weigh-in, we'll do two things:

a. ask for your openers; and

b. give you a set of "attempt cards" which are how you submit your seconds and thirds - so that the scorebench has a running record of what you asked for.

HINT: Remember to bring a pen to complete the attempt cards :) 

During the comp, you normally have 1m after a lift to submit your next nomination, but in novice comps like this we give you plenty of warning.  Experienced geezers get less tolerance :)

We're expecting a good turn-out of novices, but we want the comp to work for you, so we'll have plenty of people on hand.

There'll be a good crew up there, who'll make sure to explain things - including, for novice lifters, an explanation of the calls for each lift.