High bar to Low bar ratio

Skeletor

Having always been a high bar squatter ive just started to bring in low bar squats to my training with the goal of eventually switching to it permanently once I become fluid in the movement . Since you are supposedly able to squat a greater weight in low bar I was wondering what people's high to low difference is. Lets say not using wraps for arguments sake. Or what should the average difference be? 10kg? 20kg?

Differs for everyone bro. You can't really put a universal carry over number on it. Personally for me I'm not too sure mate Havnt really thought about testing it. I'll do my working sets low bar, but my low bar is probably more like a mid bar cause I have mobility issues. However they are getting better. I will do any back off sets programmed into my workout high bar.

Your Saftey squat bar you have coming will be like a super high bar squat. They are really good.

Oh good to know bro. Everyone just tells me if I want to squat more I need to switch . Either way I like the variation, it keeps things fun. Gotta start with wraps to. Yeah god knows where the safety bar is . He said it was picked up Monday 13 days ago and then when we emailed last week on Wednesday asking for tracking number he said sorry about this we have switched courier companies and he would have a tracking number for me soon but either way it would be delivered last week. But it wasn't . Looking forward to using it though hard out.

Look at the oly lifters. Some of them have squats that would put the powerlifters to shame and they're all high bar.

If you have a long torso and short femurs then high bar is better for you. Short torso and long femurs then low bar is best. Everyone has different leverages and they need to do what best suits them

Jumping in with a dumb question here ....

Can someone please explain what the hell you're all talking about?

There's only one place the bar goes when you squat as far as I know. Across your traps

It can also sit on the back of your delts, which puts the bar a few centimeters lower than if it were sitting on top of the traps

Also the preference for low bar in powerlifters comes from equipped lifting. Raw powerlifting is a recent phenomenon and everyone used to compete equipped. When you wear a squat suit, the way to maximise carryover is to push your hips back while keeping your shins nearly vertical. The best way to do that is with a low bar squat. Squatting in a high bar fashion with the torso upright and knee travel doesn't get as much out of a suit.

With a raw squat, that doesn't come into play but it's still ingrained into the mind of powerlifters that you have to squat low bar if you're a powerlifter.

I've tried both and just don't like low bar. High bar equals more quad growth imo and strength comes. I look low bar as similar to the exaggerated arch guys use in bench. Whilst it does allow more weight to be used (sometimes) it doesn't give the best growth result. For me anyway :)

• 2 months later...

Man I wish I could low bar to test this I have less mobility than a car with no wheels. All my squats are high bar and at the lowest maybe "high-mid" I am trying to work on it too as I believe the added leg drive low bar will give me will add more kegs to my max lift if I ever get to squat in a comp again haha! On a plus note high bar will help develope quads a lot better over time

My low to high is about 50kg difference favoring low. I can and should work more high bar to decrease that gap but I just don't or cbf when I only have 30-60mins to train, just want to load up and go for it then gtfo.

Building both if you can would make a more complete lifter. Then there's fronts and pauses to round it all off.

If you stick with low, be sure to build up your core/lower back. That'll be the first thing to fail you with the placement of the weight.

My 5c