NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Pseudonym

The Overhead Press Challenge

Impressive, Soundsgood! I look forward to seeing you crack 120kg. Just watch the elbow lockout at the top - we don't want the GPC president getting any red lights!

Skeletor - you need to make your video public so we can all see it.

Impressive, Soundsgood! I look forward to seeing you crack 120kg. Just watch the elbow lockout at the top - we don't want the GPC president getting any red lights!

Skeletor - you need to make your video public so we can all see it.

Fair enough! Are we not counting this entry? Arms not Locked out enough? The wide grip makes it harder to judge I guess?

Well, I thought it was borderline, and I was hoping you'd just upload another vid (maybe your 120kg) to save me making a ruling either way!

I dunno - I'm happy to be persuaded if people think it's okay. It's definitely harder to judge on a wider grip, and when people are inconsiderate enough to have arms as thick as yours... :P

I consider that lockout range in that wide a grip. Lift was good. Where's you other guys videos? Please don't let mine be the lightest

lol dw mate mine will be lighter. might do tomorrow.

Wilks is the calculation used to determine someone's strength relative to their bodyweight. It's not just a simple bodyweight percentage formula. It somewhat favours the heavier lifts over Lighter Bodyweight in terms of bodyweight percentage

IPF use it to calculate their overall results so you can compare the result of a 55kg lifter vs a 180kg lifter

In GPC we use Glossbrener which is pretty much the same thing but tends to favour the lighter lifter more than wilks does. Schwartz is also used sometimes and favours the lighter lifter the most out of the 3.

There's a link in the OP to calculate your wilks score

In saying that is still be in the lead regardless of which formula was used

What is Wilks?

It's is a type of formula. It is calculated on weight lifted to body weight, and a point score is given to the individual based on those two numbers. There are many formulas used in weight lifting and powerlifting. They are all slightly different and each made up to interpret what the person who made them thought to be fair. The IPF uses the wilks formula. The wilks formula favours the heavier lifter providing he is lifting good weights.... For example a 100kg lifter would need to ohp 110kgx5 in this comp to beat soundsgood. 107.5kg would not be enough, even though soundsgood weighs 118kg and only pressed 115kg.... It depends what people think is more impressive, there is no right or wrong answer to that its personal opinion. Hence why the different formulas were created. The wilks formula was the easiest for everyone to understand and use the calculator so it was chosen for this competition.

Personally I hate formulas. But I'm 110kg maybe if I was 65kg I would like them, I'm not sure. However, they are part of the sport so it's important to understand how they work.

Sweet! If everyone else is happy with Soundsgood's lockout, I'm happy too. :)

Soundsgood, Tom and I had a quick chat about the points system before I posted this. We decided to go for Wilks mainly on the basis that it has a really simple online calculator for people to use. Schwartz would have been nice, in that it helps the smaller guys a bit, but the only online calculator I could find was scarily complicated.

And actually, having played around with the numbers a bit, there doesn't seem to be much in it.

Under Wilks, an 80kg athlete has to lift 98kg to beat a 118kg athlete who's lifting 115kg.

Under Schwartz, the 80kg athlete still has to lift 96kg to beat him. So it's only a 2kg difference between the two formula.

So is it actually easier for a 50kg person to lift 50kgs than it is for a 100kg person to lift 100 kgs?

So the weight as a percentage of their bodyweight wouldnt be very accurate? eg skelator over 100% and soundsgood just under

Well yeah there isn't much in in when the weight on the bar is so low once you start getting into bigger powerlifting totals the type of formula used can make a bigger difference to the outcome.

I didn't think of the low weight lifted but makes sense that it wouldn't make much diff.

So is it actually easier for a 50kg person to lift 50kgs than it is for a 100kg person to lift 100 kgs?

So the weight as a percentage of their bodyweight wouldnt be very accurate? eg skelator over 100% and soundsgood just under

From Wikipedia:

Lighter lifters tend to have a greater power-to-weight ratio, with lighter lifters tending to lift more weight in relation to their own bodyweight.

This occurs for a number of reasons relating to simple physics, the nature of the makeup and limitations of the human skeletal and muscular system as well as the shorter leverages of smaller people.

So yes in a nutshell a simple bodyweight percentage is way too simplistic of an approach to measuring strength to be very fair or accurate. Hence the formulas were invented

The formulas above were derived to compare 1RMs, so not ideal to compare 20 rep sets.

Percentage of bodyweight is never a fair or accurate way to measure strength.

I guess a custom non linear calculation would have be used to compare a 20 rep competition

Tom Lee where are you, you are an expert in this field. I saw your fb post at 1am last night comparing leverages

It isn't rocket science guys.

The forumula is calculated on 'bodyweight:weight lifted'. It makes no difference if the Competition is 1rep or 20reps... Everyone is doing the same amount of reps and the bar weight isn't changing...

If it was a 20rep competition and you only got 17reps, then I guess your entry wouldnt be counted and you should lower you weight so you can get 20reps.

Either way the calculator would still work in this kind of comp. If it was an amrap (as many reps as possible) then yes it would become more complicated. But it's not and that's why wilks is chosen for this because it is very simple to understand.

Wilks is a good system, one of the best no doubt

It is just that soundsgood is a freak, for his lbm to height i doubt there is anyone on this site who comes close really. That OHP is impressive as fuk

I consider that lockout range in that wide a grip. Lift was good. Where's you other guys videos? Please don't let mine be the lightest

dont worry bro, ill probably be throwing up a video soon