Hate eating oats... throw in in a shake?

Mrman

So I hate eating oats as either porridge or as muesli so I have been throwing them in the blender and mixing it in a shake... home made up and go.

I was just wondering if I'm kind of missing out on the energy benefits by doing this because its getting broken down by the blender and not by my stomach?

if I had a some money, Id buy myself a blender and hit this up. Easy/quick/ healthy way to have a healthy meal.

I think regardless if the blender attacks it or not, your getting a decent amount of nutrients and carbs there. I wouldn't worry.

Do you add protein to it?

I'm quite the opposite. I love my porridge, but think that oats blended into a shake makes it like drinking liquid sandpaper.

Still, bodybuilders have done this since forever, and if there was any lack of nutrients from raw oats, it hasn't hindered their gains. You could also look at this topic: http://www.gymnation.co.nz/topic/19012-absorption-of-raw-oats/

But as Bambam says, if you don't like oats, eat something else!

I'm quite the opposite. I love my porridge, but think that oats blended into a shake makes it like drinking liquid sandpaper.

Still, bodybuilders have done this since forever, and if there was any lack of nutrients from raw oats, it hasn't hindered their gains. You could also look at this topic: http://www.gymnation.co.nz/topic/19012-absorption-of-raw-oats/

But as Bambam says, if you don't like oats, eat something else!

This. Creamy quick oats then I mix in sultantas and raw honey.

So I hate eating oats as either porridge or as muesli so I have been throwing them in the blender and mixing it in a shake... home made up and go.

I was just wondering if I'm kind of missing out on the energy benefits by doing this because its getting broken down by the blender and not by my stomach?

Nothing has changed - either way you are digesting them.  You would need a NASA-level enzymatic blender to break molecular bonds/pre-digest.  This may not exist.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for oats in shakes~ every day my brekky shake is 1 cup ( 80g raw ) oats, 2 scoops protein of choice, 1 banana and some water. The new blender we got is industrial grade so it completely smashes them, its awesome and soft to drink~ not like the sandpaper Pseu mentioned earlier which my old blender did haha. Easiest and quickest way to get calories in ya sometimes when you're not feeling the full food.