NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
danny_01

Protein Shakes!

Im new to the Gym Nation Page, but I would like to ask, do you guys dig protein shakes after every workout? 

I mean I personally do, but iv talked to a few solid guys now and funny enough they arnt protein drink orientated. If so, what do you put in them to make it more tastey/protein based (milk/soy milk, berries etc). My shakes seem to get lumpy after only one scoop of optimum nutrition (with milk that is)

Let me know your thoughts.

Appreciate it yo

I think most people just enjoy 'refueling' after they workout as they are hungry. In saying that i never have protein shakes after the gym. But if you do its not negative. 

unless you on slin i dont really think it matters if you eat or not, provided you eat enough during the whole day

had whey straight after workout for a long time, then stopped having it and just had a feed hour or so after gym

makes no difference either way

gimmick product, completely useless apart from convenience (if u dont have time to make and eat food) imo

But what about the 45 minute window of opportunity, guys? You're throwing away all teh gainz! :o

#srsnotsrs

I do have a protein shake after my workout. Probably that's mostly because it was regarded as gospel when I started, and I've just done it ever since.

2 scoops protein and a banana, blended up. Followed by as much brown sugar as I can fit on a single teaspoon - which, if you compact the brown sugar carefully so it all clumps together, can be quite a lot. :D

It may have been placebo (the currently fashionable thinking will certainly say it is!), but I'm sure the period of training when I made best gains was when I started adding carbs to my post-workout shake for a bigger insulin spike.

But what about the 45 minute window of opportunity, guys? You're throwing away all teh gainz! :o

#srsnotsrs

I do have a protein shake after my workout. Probably that's mostly because it was regarded as gospel when I started, and I've just done it ever since.

2 scoops protein and a banana, blended up. Followed by as much brown sugar as I can fit on a single teaspoon - which, if you compact the brown sugar carefully so it all clumps together, can be quite a lot. :D

It may have been placebo (the currently fashionable thinking will certainly say it is!), but I'm sure the period of training when I made best gains was when I started adding carbs to my post-workout shake for a bigger insulin spike.

The acute insulin response to rapidly absorbed protein (i.e. whey) has been shown to be similar to that of simple sugars.

Adding dextrose to the mix must exaggerate the response but I doubt it affects composition in a measurable way.  Faster recovery only.

Do you have them after every workout?

With water or milk?

My point exactly in other thread. Asks question gets multiple answers..picks answer that they wanna hear.

Danny 01 have whey or not. It wont make a difference. If you need an easy way to get more protein into diet allg but apart from that its not gonna do anything to have a shake immediately post workout (or not)

I used to have a shake after every workout, but then stopped buying protein powder after reading about a bunch of US lawsuits where the supplement companies were putting in less protein than advertised. Gainz havnt been affected and now i get to eat more actual food.

My point exactly in other thread. Asks question gets multiple answers..picks answer that they wanna hear.

Danny 01 have whey or not. It wont make a difference. If you need an easy way to get more protein into diet allg but apart from that its not gonna do anything to have a shake immediately post workout (or not)

Don't be silly, of course if you don't have a shake immediately post work out your delts will fall off!!!

PWO shake in water - but, only because I train in the mornings and it's another hour or so before I get to my desk to eat my oats.  Placebo efeect or otherwise, it doesn't hurt to have a shake PWO (doesn't really hurt not to either).