New Guy (160kgs, looking for help)

FatBoy21

Hi Guys,

Jumped onto this site from the recommendation of a friend. I'm looking for help on how to get started with my goal of loosing 60kgs!! I've given myself about a year and a half to achieve this goal, i love my soul food  :pfft: But I know my Diet has to change dramatically! I know loosing weight on a budget is very hard, but I know it's do-a-ble because I've seen so many testimonies about it.

I have Patella Tendinitis (Jumpers Knee) so my impact on ground work is very limited when I'm done with rehab, (no running on concrete, no jumping, low knee impact workouts) I'm even thinking of swimming which is a lot fun then running  :pfft:  (we'll it was recommended by my Physio lol)

Do I start with walks around the block? is there a beginners training regime someone has for me? really keen to get this off the ground. I need to loose at least another 40kgs to have any chance of living longer to enjoy my life with my very young kids!

Thanks for your time, your help and knowledge is much needed.

FatBoy21

Hi FatBoy21 and Welcome.

Throw up what you eat on a daily basis also your exercise regime this way the good folk here can give you the tips you need to work towards your goal.

My advices would be..Get active!

(1) Swimming is great idea, lots of fun also low impact, maybe some brisk walking around the block or a park, get the family involved good fun for everyone! 

(2)Eat "small" clean meals and regularly.eg 4-5 times ed

Protein - Chicken, fish, red meat

Carbs - Kumara, Rice. (No Bread)

Veges - Broccoli, cauliflower, beans etc

Drink lots of water through out the day.

Thats your starting point, just get into it and enjoy!

Good luck mate! All the best

Hi FatBoy21 and Welcome.

Throw up what you eat on a daily basis also your exercise regime this way the good folk here can give you the tips you need to work towards your goal.

My advices would be.

(1) Swimming is great idea, lots of fun also low impact, maybe some brisk walking around the block or a park, get the family involved good fun for everyone!

(2)Eat small clean meals and regularly.

Protein - Chicken, fish, red meat

Carbs - Kumara, Rice. (No Bread)

Veges - Broccoli, cauliflower, beans etc

Drink lots of water through out the day.

Thats your starting point, just get into it and enjoy!

Good luck mate! All the best

Thanks a lot kiwicannon! that def helps, will try and stick to those core foods I eat bread every day but i'll put up what I generally eat though so you can get a insite of my current diet (which is pretty much anything right now)

In addition to cardio it would be a good idea to get into the gym and do 3 weight workouts per week if you have the time?

i was in similar boat 2009-2010, started going gym at 120kg, lost 45kg or something in 1.5 years so definitely doable! 

things i wish i had done:

1. i wish i hadn't bothered with low carb diets and other fad diets, they are a waste of time

2. i wish i had started doing compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, over head press) earlier, would be in a far better position now. obviously squat may not be ideal with your knee but i guess its low impact so might be okay? 

If you want some help it would be a good idea to make a journal on here and post what you eat, what exercise you do, and any other shit you might wanna put in there (i post random shit that pops into my head at the time and its cool to look back on 1-2 years later)

Breakfast

Breakfast- Ranges from a Weetbix, Crumpets, eggs (poached - in the microwave), toast too like pies from the bakery or McDonald's. (being honest)

Lunch - Sandwiches (roast beef silver dale sammys with cream cheese/avocado OR ham and cheese), Toast with Spaghetti (love watties) Muesli bars I buy from PakNsave (chocolate chip flavored lol) I have the odd fruit apple, banana and pear now and then. Yogurt everyday, love yogurt the meadow fresh berry flavor)

- Noodles!

Snack - on Biscuits, 

Dinner - TBH ANYTHING! 

Sweet Jesus bro lol :-D

You have to remember its the lifestyle that has to change aye bro, you dont have to go mad crazy about your diet etc just clean it up get out with the kids, kick the ball around throw the frisbee try stay away from Take away food mc ds etc..

Fish n chips on a sat with the family yeah big deal just try to make getting healthy and fit fun......for everyone!!!!

My Mrs just hates it when I'm super strict with my diet, apparently I'm a real a hole :think:   

A shit load of carbs and calorie dense foods there bro. Reduce your portion size, stick to 3-4 square meals a day and cut the snacking. You should be eating a portion of protein the size of your palm with every meal and choose carbs with a high fiber content because for a given portion they have less digestable sugars.

Another thing you should consider is cutting processed foods and sticking to fresh whole produce, stuff you have to make yourself. With a little bit of preparation and time management it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for you. Most processed foods are very calorie dense and you wont feel full as quick as if you were eating fresh produce prepared at home.

I can see there are some not so bad choices in your diet like the sandwiches and yoghurt but again they're very calorie dense. You could tweak these slightly to make them better. The avo/cream cheese/cheese should be spread thin. There are sugar/fat free alternatives like sugar free sweet chilli sauce which is nearly zero calories. Instead of the meadow fresh yoghurt buy greek plain unsweetened and mix in a bit of honey and cinnamon maybe some banana, a few frozen berries or a couple pinches of oats. Its about healthy choices but portion control also. Keep yourself sane and allow yourself a day each week to indulge in a guilty pleasure like maccas or whatever. Set yourself time frames and incremental measurable and realistic goals. Generally much more than 1-1.5kg weight loss a week is unsustainable, slow and steady wins the race.

As for training, id have a check up with your gp and let them know what you wanna do first. The type of training should be a mixture of both resistance and cardio. Learn the basic movements like bench press, squat, deadlift, over head press etc once you've got moving and into the swing of things, circuit style training is a great way to lose weight fast while building some muscle. Swimming is great cardio and easy on the joints, so is the bike. Walking is a great start if you are very sedentary but you're gonna need to exercise with a lot more intensity and volume than just going on a walk. Walking alone isn't that great a calorie burner. Its not gona be easy man thats a lot of weight you have to shift but it is definitely achievable, I think you'll suprise yourself but it will take discipline and good old hard yacka. Persistence is key, persistence is based on character and character does whats right not whats easy. Don't lose heart!

Hey Fatboy, good to have you here!

Swimming is awesome, so get into that for sure. Resistance training is great too, but it might pay to find a trainer who can make sure you're doing it right - at least to start with. At 160kg, even a bodyweight squat is more than many people start squatting with, so doing it with bad technique is a recipe for injury - particularly if you've got a dodgy knee already. A good trainer will be able to look at your technique and suggest better ways of doing it, or better exercises altogether - for example, instead of standard squats, you might start with swiss ball wall squats to ease yourself in.

And definitely start a journal so we can keep helping you. :nod:

Good luck my bro these guys have put up some superb advices, I've lost 25kgs myself. A great routine I could recommend (I snapped my knee in a fight, so mines buggered too) was to wake up a hour early and walk briskly on an empty stomach every day. And defenitly learn your compound excercises, I was always told if you have a weak joint wrap it in muscle. My knees mint as now.

You need to ditch almost everything in your diet and re align it to quality foods.

Good luck bro, much respect.