Soundsgood

Realtalk

Leeroid

Red

Bang bang

Jimmybro

Dhiren

To name a few

We are lucky enough to have Odell Manuel competing with us. He will be competing as an International lifter representing Australia.

In case you didn't know Odell has the 5th highest raw total in the u140s of All Time across all federations and is up high in the over140s. If you are interested in seeing what a 400kg raw squat or deadlift looks like now is your chance.

The local race for the first raw 900 total will be fierce between myself and Dan Holliday. Even if we don't hit it I think we will both go pretty close and should be a good comp.

Dan Maz will be doing bench only to keep the ladies happy

• 4 weeks later...

What an epic comp!

50ish lifters including a bench only flight meant the day dragged on a bit later than we had hoped for but the crowd was kept entertained by big Odell till the very last lift

Odell Manuel went 420/230/400 for a raw 1050 @ 146.

That performance was the 9th best by a Super heavyweight of all time in any federation. Just incredible to watch. Odell is an absolute class guy as well. Not even a hint of arrogance he was happy to talk with all of the other lifters and spectators between lifts, pose for photos and give advice. Extremely lucky to have him competing with us.

We had some great numbers being thrown around by the kiwi lifters too.

Court Paapu went 180/100/175 for 455kg total @ 82.4kg

Making her the second GPC NZ lifter to post an elite total

Jackson Hinch went 277.5/182.5/315 for 775kg total @ 99.6kg

Making him the third GPC NZ lifter to post an elite total

Tom Lee went 290/155/260 for 705kg total @ 82.4kg

This makes Tom the fourth GPC NZ lifter to go elite

Tom Mac went 300/195/322.5 for 817.5kg total @ 107.1kg

Tom won the u110kg class and third overall

Jamie Thompson went 310/200/305 for 815kg @ 105.6kg

Jamie came second in the u110kg class and second overall

Hamish Coulter (me) went 350/215/295 for 860kg total @ 117kg and first place in the u125kg class and first place overall

Also won the seperate bench only class with 215kg @ 118.3kg (seperate weigh in)

Other highlights was seeing Nigel Cordes smoke a 210kg bench @ 115kg, Jackson Hinch snaring a deadlift record of 315kg @ 99kg and Josh Dillon pulling 245kg @ 79kg

Top 10 male NZ lifters

1. Hamish Coulter (WAI ) - 860 @ 117.2

2. Jamie Thompson (CHCH) - 815 @ 105.6

3. Tom McEnirney (BOP) - 817.5 @ 107.1

4. Tom Lee (BOP) - 705 @ 82.4kg

5. Jackson Hinch (CHCH) - 775 @ 99.6kg

6. Dhiren Dunraj (AKL) - 600 @ 73.5kg

7. Tawa Campbell (WAI) - 730 @ 108.9kg

8. Travis O'Connell (AKL) - 720 @ 105kg

9. Paul Mcmah (BOP) - 655 @ 87.5kg

10. Rikki Sherock (AKL) - 692.5 @ 100.3kg

Such a great Comp with a huge turnout of spectators and supporters. Miada was jam packed! We will certainly have to move to a 2 day format for nationals next year.

We will also discuss the rule regarding overall placings only taking winners from classes as it seems like quite an unfair quirk that you can beat someone in your class but then they beat you in the overall.

Haven't posted in awhile but still read the forums pretty much everyday. Had to chime in here though.

Nationals yesterday, although the longest comp I have ever been to haha, was awesome ! Great atmosphere that was switched on for the entire day right up until the last lift.

Well run and organised all in all, Court, Hamish and everyone else who helped out did really well to set up and organise everything. Especially considering that 18 months ago Gpc didn't exist in NZ and their lifters numbers have boomed chucking the management team in the deep end from day one.

Amazing caliber of lifters to lift against, really adds to your own performance I find.

Just a gym full of hard working people all trying to better themselves and each other, even though it's a competitive sport obviously but the powerlifting mentality and community really shines through at Gpc events.

Great day overall

Should have come and said hi, Beast! :wave:

We will also discuss the rule regarding overall placings only taking winners from classes as it seems like quite an unfair quirk that you can beat someone in your class but then they beat you in the overall.

Ooh, that's a bugger. So how does that come about? Is one based on Glossbrenner points, and the other on a raw total, or something?

Should have come and said hi, Beast! :wave:

Ooh, that's a bugger. So how does that come about? Is one based on Glossbrenner points, and the other on a raw total, or something

Are you taking the piss? Clearly overall is based on glossbrenner and a weight class placing based on totals for that weight class.

No idea why this is an issue even?  The only 'solutions' would be to

A. remove the weight classes and use only points

B. not have an overall ranking

C. base it only on total irrespective of body weight 

Yeah pseudo so my undrstanding is : at present in gpc nz, Class win is based on total vs everyone else in the classes total. Overall is based on glossbrenner vs everyone else overall..

Ideally it would be like rest of world where only class winners are eligible for overall placing. To avoid the situation where someone might win their class (by total) then be beaten in overall by someone in their class (by glossbrenner)

Just unfortunate technicality really.. imo people have individual opinion on who wins (personally i dnt care about glossbrenner or what ever just like to see big numbers lol)

Are you taking the piss? Clearly overall is based on glossbrenner and a weight class placing based on totals for that weight class.

No idea why this is an issue even? The only 'solutions' would be to

A. remove the weight classes and use only points

B. not have an overall ranking

C. base it only on total irrespective of body weight

No he isn't taking the piss... Not everyone knows the rules, obviously you don't either.

The reason formulas were originally introduced is cause people wanted to know who best lifter was after a meet. So all the class winners were given a score by formula, and the overall winner was chosen. Weight class place getters dont even get a formula score as it serves no purpose. How can you be considered as one of the best lifters if you cant even win your class. This doesn't happen in bodybuilding... Only the winners of each class are considered for the overall. Regardless of how good or close one class was between a 1st and 2nd placing in that class.

If formulas were applied to everyone, then what purpose do weight classes serve?

So no, your ABC options aren't the "only solutions" mate.

And I'm not complaining or being a sore loser. It just was incorrect and I'm telling you it was incorrect. At the comp I asked if I would be competing against Jamie on points for the overall. I was told no only class winners compete for the overall. So I deadlifted 322.5. If I had of known I was going to be compared in points I would have just pulled 325 for my 3rd, beaten him by 5kg and no such discussion would have ever arose. You might say "well if you could get 325 why didn't you just do it then...". If you say that then you just don't understand powerlifting and how to win.

Anyway we are debating an overall placing which wasn't 1st because Hamish convincing won that so if it isn't first it doesn't really matter. I raised it on sat night after comp. And we are just moving on. I can't wait for the next comp and others left in the year. We have the gpc mount comp in the gym me and Paul Mcmah train at in August so will try and get some good competitor numbers for that and try make it epic too.

Being more positive. The day was awesome. As Hamish said the crowd was amazing so many people came to support and they stayed most of the day. The atmosphere was epic. I can't wait for next years nationals now to see how big that is. Remember our nationals were in October last year so that's only 8 months ago. To think it grew this much in that time frame is quite amazing.

Congratulations to Hamish on the win and big total. And to all the other forum members who all did really well. Especially those who got elite level status. Tom lee from the forum did that, so well done brotha! And pseudonym thanks for coming to support us, the crowd had gotten a little shallow for the last deadlift flight but you stayed for a long time and I appreciate the support for my final deadlifts which were tough after such a long day.

isnt the reason of a points system to compare each lifter based on body weight? is it possible that 1 weight class is very strong and others not so? so at the very least one weight class could have the top 2 lifters overall? no one really cares about wilks or other point systems but If you are going to have it then surely it applies to everyone? because relative to body weight even though you are stronger in absolute strength you might not be in relative body weight. even If it is the same weight class. agree with you about not being told about it applying to everyone. they should have been more informed

isnt the reason of a points system to compare each lifter based on body weight? is it possible that 1 weight class is very strong and others not so? so at the very least one weight class could have the top 2 lifters overall? no one really cares about wilks or other point systems but If you are going to have it then surely it applies to everyone? because relative to body weight even though you are stronger in absolute strength you might not be in relative body weight. even If it is the same weight class. agree with you about not being told about it applying to everyone. they should have been more informed

No bro, incorrect. I used the bodybuilding as a more common and understandable example. Cause often in bodybuilding the best physiques of the show are in one class. They don't compete again for the overall cause one person already beat them all. I know we are talking totals and formulas and that's different, but it's the same concept.

If you are both in the u110kg class your bodyweught is irrelavant unless the two totals are even. Then the lighter bodyweight wins.

If you enter the 100-u110kg class and you weigh 101kg and I weigh 109.9kg and I beat you by 1kg and you beat me obviousky on points. I still win. That's your problem that you are 101kg in a u110kg Weight division.

You can compare individuals in the same class on points formula all you want. But it doesn't mean shit, all that matters is the total.

How can someone be a better lifter than someone else if you can't even beat that same person in your weight class. That makes no sense whatsoever.

But I fully get what you are saying, that Jamie's totak definitely deserved recognition because it was an awesome total. But I'm just saying what I interpreted the rules to be. That is the usual universal rule. BUT gpc nz introduced these rules because of the low participation numbers in the first year or so of the federation starting up. Which does make sense when you only have perhaps some classes full and others with 1 in a class.

So yeah I can see it from both angles. I'm just trying to explain it all in a simple fashion. Lol and it's actually kind of a good problem to have isn't it? Having a competitive class, I mean that's what it's all about and what we all want! thumbs up!

I wasn't taking the piss. But you're right, if I'd thought about it a bit more, I could have answered the question myself - obviously you don't need a formula to calculate a winner when they're in the same weight class. :doh:

Sorry I'm a bit out of the loop with who everyone is irl lol

Would have if I had known who you were ! Were you by chance the lad in the Gymnation Tshirt ? Haha

Next time, man!