5/2 Fat-Loss for lifters

graal067

Has anybody herd of the 5/2 fat-loss for lifters 'diet'? I came across it while reading T Nation. Its claim to loosing 1 pound of fat per week seams pretty unrealistic. Why wouldn't everyone be on it if this was the case.

Has anybody actually tried it and gotten results? Any dietitians advice on it?

Link to the page: https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5-2-fat-loss-diet-for-lifters

cheers

Has anybody herd of the 5/2 fat-loss for lifters 'diet'? I came across it while reading T Nation. Its claim to loosing 1 pound of fat per week seams pretty unrealistic. Why wouldn't everyone be on it if this was the case.

Has anybody actually tried it and gotten results? Any dietitians advice on it?

Link to the page: https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/5-2-fat-loss-diet-for-lifters

cheers

1 pound = 450 grams....so not too unrealistic 

Graal sweetie there is no need to succumb to artificial societal expectations of hypermasculine stereotypes just to feel accepted.

Lets bond together and remove these archaic fat shaming body expectations created to sell products for large corporations.

#fatacceptance

When it comes to Intermittent Fasting for lifters, the LeanGains protocol of 16 hours fasting/8hour eating window each day comes out above all other protocols. It's also the easiest to do as your body does adjust to the timings, and after 2-3 weeks it becomes second nature. Severely limiting yourself 2 days a week doesn't sound fun at all, not that I've tried it. There's plenty of good discussions on here about IF, give the search button and jam and you'll find lots of good info. 

And for a very well documented experiment, Dr. John Berardi spent 6 month trialling the different versions of IF, here's his (rather long but worth reading) write up on it all. 

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting- Skip to chapter 7 for the comprehensive conclusion, or read it all for greater detail. 

Gyzzbrah, I think you'll find the vast majority of members here sit on the same side of the 'fat shaming' fence as you. There's no need for the ironic shitposting. 

Yeah IF is a very good read and I rate the LeanGains protocol. Personally i would rather just eat good and put the hard work in than go for the diet fads. But the article popped up and thought it deserved some thought on the matter.

As for Gyzzbrah, lol what?

A fellow manager at work did this for a few months. Middle aged sedentary lifestyle, enjoys drinking now and then but conscious of his health. Doesn't lift.

He managed to lose weight but said the 2 days of restriction were really hard to get through. By the end of the second day he said he would feel really hungry, tired and irritable. Doesn't do it any more and just tries to eat healthier normally.

I don't know why you'd want to do it, especially if you lift. Sounds stupid to me.

The other day, I discovered my mother has been doing this. She'd obviously been keeping it secret from me until she could say it was working (don't know why).

She's always struggled to lose weight (not that she's ever seriously dieted), but this is working for her, and without really counting calories. She's absolutely stoked.

She's not a lifter, though.

He managed to lose weight but said the 2 days of restriction were really hard to get through. By the end of the second day he said he would feel really hungry, tired and irritable.

Was he doing the 2 days back to back? That would certainly be hard, and I don't think it would gain you anything. At the end of the week, your total caloric intake would be the same whether your restricted days were Mon/Tue or Mon/Thurs.

Well they say you restrict calories for 2 days but what about the other 5? Like obviously they have to be moderated as well? if not probs fad diet.

If you had read the article it states: to eat normally and restrict the two non-consecutive 'off days' to 2x400kcal meals per day (800kcal total/day). So effectively, it is a "cutting" diet when you look at it from a weekly intakes perspective, since you would be dipping into a weekly energy deficit.  

If you had read the article it states: to eat normally and restrict the two non-consecutive 'off days' to 2x400kcal meals per day (800kcal total/day). So effectively, it is a "cutting" diet when you look at it from a weekly intakes perspective, since you would be dipping into a weekly energy deficit.  

Why not 200kcal deficit on 5 days, and 500kcal deficit on 2 days?  Far easier to do week after week.  I think a big bag of cheezels is 800kcals so f*ck that for a daily intake.

Feeling hungry and constantly exerting will power is what causes most weight loss plans to fail.  Small deficits, frequent feeds, slow digesting meal composition would be much more tolerable (and adhered to for more than 5 weeks).

Feeling hungry and constantly exerting will power is what causes most weight loss plans to fail.

I think it all comes down to the psyche of the dieter. For some people, the daily restriction method is what requires the "constantly exerted will power". They would much prefer to throw in a low-calorie day or two, get in the calorie deficit, then get on with their lives.

I think a big bag of cheezels is 800kcals so f*ck that for a daily intake.

1) I don't think 800 was a magic number. I think you could change it to create whatever caloric deficit you want - it's just the principle that's important.

2) You know very well there are many ways to make up 800kcals, and a bag of cheezels is just about the least satiating way possible! :P

2) You know very well there are many ways to make up 800kcals, and a bag of cheezels is just about the least satiating way possible! :P

On two non consecutive rest days;

Skip breakfast (You've had a solid dinner the previous night)

Lunch - Omlette (3 whole eggs, 3 whites) with onions, mushrooms, capsicum, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cup of fresh berries of choice. 

Dinner - Stir fry with 250g raw chicken, 2 cups broccoli, 1 cup diced mushrooms, 1 cup diced capsicum , 1 cup green beans. Cajun spice for seasoning, dressed with lemon juice. Another Cup of fresh berries of choice. 

That'd sit close to 800 calories, certainly no more than 1,000. Both of those meals will be quite satiating, have sticks of celery around if you really need to keep munching. Plenty of protein, fibres from veges, a little carb and sweetness from the berries + a lot of micro nutrients. Does it really look that horrible for two nonconsecutive rest days? Given a maintenance of 2500, that's a weekly deficit of 3000-3400 calories. Higher maintenance, higher deficit.