Where do you guys buy bulk chicken breast?

Keifer

I used to go to Gilmours wholesale food distributors and buy up 5kg trays at a time. But it often wasn't the freshest meat (could be a bit whiffy despite having days left before it expired), and by the time you added the GST on, you really weren't saving much.

Now I just wait until the supermarket or the Mad Butcher has them on special, and then stock up the freezer.

Where are you based, anyway?

if you in auckland check out aussie butcher.  i go there usually every weekend it's so cheap i dont' bother buying in bulk anymore. $8 - $10 a kilo for boneless skinless i can buy what i need for a week for cheap without worry about the overheads of keeping a deep freezer around especially to hold extra meat i got on special in bulk

Really? That's good to know. Might have to work out where my nearest Aussie butcher is.

yep used to go pretty far out to south auck usually had the best deals going on, they had pretty much same prices but because it was further away, i'd be buying more and freezing it up because don't' wanna be making the trip just for one item every week. the other place that i recently been finding good deal sin i forgot name of the shop but it's on lincoln road just in the burger king / burger fuel area. that place even closer to home for me and very competitive meat prices.

• 1 month later...

It's probably not worth making yet another thread about where to find cheap chicken so I'll ask here: where the hell do you get reasonably priced chicken in Wellington on a regular basis? I know supermarkets go as low as 10 bucks per kg but that's sporadic at best. I've heard good things about the Mad Butcher, but Porirua and Lower Hutt are both a bit of a drive for me. Perhaps other butchers round town may be worth looking at?

• 2 months later...

I dont eat chicken often. I see it as the type of livestock commonly kept by people in overcrowded 3rd world countries out of necessity. Something they might enjoy with their rice as they feed their impoverished malnourished bodies and struggle to survive.

Not saying its not of value to bodybuilding but the fact its a poverty food and the way the chickens are 'farmed' in nz is enough to put me off it.

I dont eat chicken often. I see it as the type of livestock commonly kept by people in overcrowded 3rd world countries out of necessity. Something they might enjoy with their rice as they feed their impoverished malnourished bodies and struggle to survive.

Not saying its not of value to bodybuilding but the fact its a poverty food and the way the chickens are 'farmed' in nz is enough to put me off it.

So, eye fillet for you only?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...