Cooking rice to reduce its calories

Pseudonym

Pretty interesting... scientists have worked out that to make rice less digestible, just add oil. Bodybuilders know that adding fats to a meal can lower the glycemic index, but in this case it seems like it actually alters the starch too.

Not all starches, as it happens, are created equal. Some, known as digestible starches, take only a little time to digest, are quickly turned into glucose, and then later glycogen. Excess glycogen ends up adding to the size of our guts if we don't expend enough energy to burn it off. Other starches, meanwhile, called resistant starches, take a long time to for the body to process, aren't converted into glucose or glycogen because we lack the ability to digest them, and add up to less calories.

A growing body of research, however, has shown that it might be possible to change the types of starches found in foods by modifying how they are prepared. ... And rice, depending on the method of preparation, undergoes observable chemical changes. By adding a lipid (coconut oil in this case) ahead of cooking the rice, and then cooling the rice immediately after it was done, they were able to drastically change its composition - and for the better.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11423408

Remind me why destroying the nutritional value of a food which has probably been grown at the expense of replacing some natural ecosystem with vegetation clearance and farm pollution, a food that you pay for by time from your limited life doing something you'd rather not do if you had a choice is a change 'for the better'...

Bunch of poverty faggots above. If I can eat more rice and feel full yet still fit my macros/calorie intake then I'd do it. Nothing wrong with that

why not just mix sawdust with your food then? cheaper and basically same thing.

youd be better off eating more and getting bigger and stronger anyway rather than staying at a natty weight. like i reckon your lifts be better wilkes/glossbrenner competing at 100kg BW than at whatever you compete at now if similar bf%.

If you still feel hungry then you prob need to eat more unless youre just fat in which case you should feel hungry all the time because should be dieting to lose all the fat. you still gonna feel hungry if youre filling up on 'food' your body isnt able to absorb

First of all, feeling full has nothing to do with whether you're in a caloric surplus or caloric deficit. You can be piling on the weight and still feel hungry, or losing it and still feel satiated. (And yes - I think you would still feel equally full on this "treated" rice, in the same way that you can fill up on veges that are all fibre.)

Secondly, it's not just about calories - it's about macronutrients as well. Even if I want lots of calories, I don't necessarily want them coming from shitloads of carbs.

First of all, feeling full has nothing to do with whether you're in a caloric surplus or caloric deficit. You can be piling on the weight and still feel hungry, or losing it and still feel satiated. (And yes - I think you would still feel equally full on this "treated" rice, in the same way that you can fill up on veges that are all fibre.)

Secondly, it's not just about calories - it's about macronutrients as well. Even if I want lots of calories, I don't necessarily want them coming from shitloads of carbs.

Wouldnt it make more sense then to eat things high in protein/fat then and less carbs rather than filling up on wrecked rice?

If you in a deficit you always going to feel hungry. Even if you feel 'full' after eating your dinner of shit rice then youre going to feel hungry as f*ck next day and still just as likely to cheat on diet with other food etc. IMO youre a shit c*nt if you throw away/wreck good food. Just eat less volume of food and your stomach will shrink and youll feel full off less.

This is stupidity along the same principles as stuffing your face full of high cal foods while taking weight loss drugs to mitigate weight gain.

not my cup of tea as i prefer most caloric dense food + easy to digest vs something like that which would make you full just like normal rice but have less useful energy.. seems like a tremendous waste of time but perhaps someone out there could draw some benefit from it if it helped them curb their hunger.

• 2 weeks later...

why not just mix sawdust with your food then? cheaper and basically same thing.

youd be better off eating more and getting bigger and stronger anyway rather than staying at a natty weight. like i reckon your lifts be better wilkes/glossbrenner competing at 100kg BW than at whatever you compete at now if similar bf%.

Cos sawdust isn't edible food and tastes disgusting and dry, I'd imagine? Pretty obvious why I wouldn't do that. I'm assuming rice still has same taste and texture when cooked this way. And I'd only do it if cutting cos I'm always hungry when on a caloric deficit and anything that helps with satiety is good.

Yeah I am trying to bulk ATM but been stuck at 87kg for the last year.