Taking lunch to work

The Legend Killer

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any lunch suggestions for those who don't have heating facilities, or any facilities? lol Uni sucks!!....everyone takes/buys sandwiches...*cringe*...evil evil carbs. I try taking salads but... gets very boring. And hard to eat in lectures without drawing attention to yourself...

I'm at Uni too.

I make my own protein bars with oats, raisins, peanut butter and a blend of casein and whey powders. They're great for eating during lectures. I really don't know what I'd do without them!

You can make them relatively low carb, esp. by cutting out the raisins. And you have to eat them fast because they don't keep for more than a few days.

Other than that, canned fish/chicken, or pre-cooked frozen meat (eat it once it's thawed, but still cold) is about all you can do without heating, besides protein shakes... I guess I'm lucky that Auckland Uni has microwaves :P

best thing for uni is a mountain bread wrapped up like a kebab with your chicken veges inside. get your protein and minimal carbs in the form of whole wheat. mountain bread is so good for that kind of situation, wrap it up in tinfoil, easy to eat/discreet/awesome.

I'm at Uni too.

I make my own protein bars with oats, raisins, peanut butter and a blend of casein and whey powders. They're great for eating during lectures. I really don't know what I'd do without them!

You can make them relatively low carb, esp. by cutting out the raisins. And you have to eat them fast because they don't keep for more than a few days.

Other than that, canned fish/chicken, or pre-cooked frozen meat (eat it once it's thawed, but still cold) is about all you can do without heating, besides protein shakes... I guess I'm lucky that Auckland Uni has microwaves :P

Wow, i've never even thought about making my own protein bars. Good idea! Ill have to search for some recipes like yours, sounds soooo tasty! Rasins are my enemy, once i start i can't stop... so tasty. I normally just take a blend of various seeds, low-gi dried fruits and healthy nuts to eat as snacks in lectures. Has saved me sooo much money from not dashing to get a quick bite from the overpriced cafes on campus.

Its not fair you guys get microwaves... damn Auckland uni! So much Better than Canterbury in so many ways...We do have like some "mysterious" microwaves on the otherwide of campus which are apparently available, although i'm not sure i would have time to rush over there in my 10 mins between lectures....

Cheers for the advice :-)

Anyone have any lunch suggestions for those who don't have heating facilities, or any facilities? lol Uni sucks!!....everyone takes/buys sandwiches...*cringe*...evil evil carbs. I try taking salads but... gets very boring. And hard to eat in lectures without drawing attention to yourself...

agreed,the rediculous food prices at canta uni cafes (especially the engr cafe) keeps me away :evil: . for lunch i usually pack a few kumaras/basmati/brown rice into single serving containers, and a few tins of chop chop mayo chicken.in lectures,a handful of almonds,and some fruit.

agreed,the rediculous food prices at canta uni cafes (especially the engr cafe) keeps me away :evil: . for lunch i usually pack a few kumaras/basmati/brown rice into single serving containers, and a few tins of chop chop mayo chicken.in lectures,a handful of almonds,and some fruit.

Omg i know! Like $6.50 for a sandwich :shock: ...... and these are supposed to be subsidized student union prices? HA! Its laughable really. I don't see how poor students afford it, i sure can't. The canned chicken is a good idea, i should really try that. Canned fish gets smelly in lectures.. and people around you start giving you dirty looks.

Oh to have a proper 9-5 job....

Omg i know! Like $6.50 for a sandwich :shock: ...... and these are supposed to be subsidized student union prices? HA! Its laughable really. I don't see how poor students afford it, i sure can't. The canned chicken is a good idea, i should really try that. Canned fish gets smelly in lectures.. and people around you start giving you dirty looks.

Oh to have a proper 9-5 job....

lol people complain about my canned chicken more than tuna, it still smells like fish but people see its chicken and "ewwwww chicken shouldnt come from a can"

lol people complain about my canned chicken more than tuna, it still smells like fish but people see its chicken and "ewwwww chicken shouldnt come from a can"

Lol :pfft: they are probably right ya know….the only time I tried it I found it does look, taste and smell remarkably (and quite frighteningly) like tuna. Tuna gets boring though, and salmon smells far too pungent in a lil lecture theatre. Smoked chicken is the best! Although abit of a luxury for a student budget…

In regards to cous cous, I have heard that’s worse for you then rice, so I’ve always avoided it. Anyone know if theres any truth in that? Is it high GI?

ahahahahahaha :pfft: !!! i know exactly wot u mean. yea man ,i love my smoked chop chop, i eat 2 cans a day at wrk .just open it,drain it and chow down =P~

In regards to cous cous, I have heard that’s worse for you then rice, so I’ve always avoided it. Anyone know if theres any truth in that? Is it high GI?

I wouldn't worry both rice and couscous fall into the moderate range between hi 50's and high 60's.

I gave up on rice (eat occasionally with Thai) a while ago and have had no issues what so ever. In fact in the last 6 months I've had my biggest gains! Doubt it's due couscous just pointing out that that small GI difference between the two is not worth worrying about.

:clap: Gotta love America...so gotta get me some of that!

Re: Couscous

Eating high-GI anything with protein (or fat) will lower the GI of the high-GI food, likewise combining low-GI with high-GI will lower the overall GI of the meal. So long as a food's nutritional profile is good I wouldn't discount it unless you're unable to eat it due to allergy/intolerance etc.

If I didn't have access to cooking facilities at work I'd buy a decent thermos.

Hmm thats interesting and totally makes sense. I don't feel so bad about having rice and couscous then, i'll just introduce it in small amounts. I'm kinda on a i-hate-anything-carb-unless-its-a-vegetable-or-oats craze at the moment, but thinking it might be a lil unhealthy and extreme. :?

And yeah the thermos is a great idea for uni, soups are awesome, particually homemade protein ones.

And Loving the basil pesto idea Pseudonym. Screw the smell, that'd be damn tasty, particually with smoked chicken.

• 2 weeks later...
On that note - does anyone have any great soup recipes? I usually have either cabbage, leeks and chicken (with chicken stock and chilli) but keen to hear of others.

niso soup.you get them in little packets at the supermarkets along the international foods section.just add hot water-done. i usually have it as a soup to wash down the tuna and rice

• 4 weeks later...

im keen as well

right now its pathetic that i rely on whey for most of my protein, i chuck in oats/fruits/whey/water in blender and take it with me to uni in a shaker bottle. also carry some nuts with me. and if im lucky 1 or 2 pieces of chicken drumstick but hate eating chicken cold argh

i go to canty uni and food prices are insane i spend all my living costs on petrol and protein and alcolol

hate eating chicken cold

Pre-cook your chicken or nuke it or whatever and put it in a thermos. Voila! Warm chicken later. You can get ones that have a wider opening so you can shove a piece of chicken in it. Or just rip your breast to bits and shove it in :shock:

and alcolol

Oooh looky, there goes the "poor student" sympathy, haha :pfft:

sounds good will give it a try but first gotta find something like a thermos

Beware of eating hot thermos foods in lectures. The amount of times i've heard "eww.. i can smell... like... stew or something, wtf" uttered from behind me.... :shifty:

Still, stuff them. Its so worth it. I've managed to go a whole semester without having to resort to buying lame overpriced uni cafe food. \:D/

The amount of times i've heard "eww.. i can smell... like... stew or something, wtf"

LOL :pfft:

I get that at work. Most have no sense of smell, but one guy is so freaky accurate he usually gets it right, even the spices. Very Grenouille (Perfume) :shock:

I've managed to go a whole semester without having to resort to buying lame overpriced uni cafe food.

Wicked stuff :D

umm did u just say rip my breasts as in not chicken breasts?

Heh! I meant the chicken but feel free to do a Bruce Banner :pfft:

sounds good will give it a try but first gotta find something like a thermos

Your local stupidmarkets might sell them (mine does). Briscoes, The Warehouse, etc... They're usually pretty cheap. You could, like, not buy any booze this week and buy one hey :haha:

haha yea i dont really care about sympathy, just give me some financial support

:think: Urm, yeah, about that, yeah nah... :snooty: