Soundsgood Lifting heavy sh*t

soundsgood

Always done pull-ups bro

I can still do a set of 12 from full hang to chin over bar at over 120kg

I actually entered a chin up competition not long ago and did 15. I got 14th place. Out of 14 competitors lol

Next time make sure all the door and windows in the gym are closed.. those little buggers use the up draft to get more reps :)

Bench tonight

Worked up to 2 sets of 160 x 5

Then 190 x 6

Then 210kg x 2

Weren't very pretty reps but hey 210x2 is 210x2 right?

Popped on my slingshot (The Destroyer) and benched 240 x 1 which was a PB

The press popped off my chest a bit funny and swung back towards the uprights which surprised me. Grinded out the rep.

I don't do much work in the destroyer as it hasn't translated to a better lockout but Its nice to chuck one on every now and again and see what you can press. It's pretty daunting to hold that much weight in your hands above your head. But as Jason Semmler, Aussies best bencher ever, told me, I need to just attack the bar more and he's right. I take way too cruisey approach to my bench. Guys like Geordie slap the bench and grunt before their lift. I'm gonna try be a bit more aggressive like I squat next time and see how I go.

Dropped back to 180kg and did 3 sets of 8 reps

Then DB skull crushers - 3 sets of 12 with 30kg each hand

Finished on Flat DB flies - 3 sets of 10 with 36kg DBs each hand

Bodyweight 120.4kg

Squats tonight

Warmed up with triples in sleeves up to 220

Then did 280 x 2

Followed by a 300 x 1

I had put my knee wraps on, unracked the weight, walked it out then noticed I had not tied my laces on my shoes so I reracked the weight and tied by shoes and my spotter had shot off to do a set of DB curls so I had to wait a minute before he came back before I gave it another go. After the first rep my ankles were screaming which happens if my wraps are on too long so i racked the weight without going for a second or third rep.

Dropped back to 260 x 5

Lower back was feeling a bit of pain but nothing like usual. The rehab seems to be going good

• 2 weeks later...

No vids lately, been training hard and working well with my physio.  

Lots of niggles popping as always happens when I train into comp but no one gets on the platform without an injury or 2, the barbell and weights don't give 2 shits if you're injured they will still be just as heavy so I'm not going to make any excuses this weekend at the GPC Auckland Champs, just going to get up there and smash out the best total I can

Openers are set at

305kg Squat

210kg Bench

275kg Deadlift

May change them on the day but 2nd, 3rd and 4th attempts are all set in my brain and if all goes to plan should put together a decent total.

Should be a good battle with Daniel Holliday if we both have good days and it might come down to strategy in the deadlifts rather than just going as heavy as possible.

I actually can't wait, this is what I train for.  No Tokens, no holding back.  Lets do this!

Had a decent comp won First overall Raw male at the GPC Auckland champs.

Weighed in at 114.1kg with water and carb cut on Friday. Rehydrated to 120.6 on the day

Squats

305 pass

330 pass

355 pass

New GPC all classes Raw squat record

Benchpress

200 pass

210 pass

220 fail - couldn't finish lockout

New GPC u125 3 lift record (even though way below my single lift record)

Deadlift

280 pass

300 pass

310 fail - hit grind point at knees and had nothing left so just dropped it

Comp PB

Total 865kg @ 114.1kg

New Record highest total in all classes

New record Glossbrener points with 482

First GPC NZ member to achieve Elite total (855kg in the u125s)

I felt like my squats were pretty good, no grind just popped straight back up. Depth was good. At nationals in 4 weeks I have some pretty big numbers in my head. The GPC raw world record In the u125s is 365kg. Let's just say I would like to go over that.

Bench was average, my setup was off and forearms in pain but no excuses I just couldn't finish off what should have been an easy 220

Deadlifts I was happy to finally hit the 300 club. I feel like my setup and cues were way off and there's still heaps in the tank as long as I don't come in too gassed. I may only have an easy opener then a big effort lift left in me by Nats so I will have to plan my attempts wisely.

It was a promising day and I'm excited for Nats where 900 @ 109 is now the goal.

Had sunday and Monday off. Back into my programme today

Worked up to sets of 2 @ 260kg, 280kg, 300kg then back down to 2 sets of 2 @ 280

Couldn't move onto bench as my forearms were punished and I couldn't see me completing 3 sets of 3 @ 205kg so moved onto paused squats

2 sets of 10 @ 190kg

Forearms too sore so called it a day

Trained at Body Business last night with the GPC crew

Forearms were still feeling fried from the squats the night before but got into it anyway

BENCHPRESS

Warmed up in triples at 100 / 140 / 180

200kg x 2

200kg x 2

200kg x 1

200kg x 1

160kg x 10

Too much pain even with Ibuprofen and Voltaren pills as well as Deepheat and Elbow sleeves

Had way more strength but just couldn't keep going.  Instead I just gave technique advice and talked shit rest of session.

Im not sure exactly what to do with the next 3 weeks.  Ill talk to my coach Thomas Lilley tonight.  It is the squats that exasperrate the injury and I can't stop squatting :/

Anyway Ive been toying with dropping down to the 110s for nats.  Epsom salts, baths, sauna and a water load/cut should see me there no problem but we run the risk on losing strength so its risky and needs more thought.  Bodyweight yesterday afternoon was 121.2kg so its a decent drop to make and no one will remember what I weighed but they will remember that I lifted so needs a bit of thought.

tried squat with ssb? 

Yeah a Safety Squat bar would absolutely alieviate the issue during training.  The problem will arise when I squat my 3 or possibly 4 attempts in comp and then have to bench straight after.

I have spoken to my coach and we are going to try change my grip so that my wrists are cocked forward.  Its going to take a bit of getting used to but keen to give it a crack.  I might get hold of a SSB for my prep for my next comp (worlds/pro-raw)

I reckon eat up, come in big, full, fed and fully recovered and absolutely monster that 900, its so there for the taking! 11odd kgs is cutable, but will be a pain in the ass, compared to chillin back and dining up a storm  

Probably right bro, Ive just been eyeing up the all time rankings on Powerlifting watch and the top 20 of all time in the 110s is not that far away but theres no point dropping weight if it compromises strength

Probably better to just shoot for the 900 regardless of bodyweight

Yeah a Safety Squat bar would absolutely alieviate the issue during training.  The problem will arise when I squat my 3 or possibly 4 attempts in comp and then have to bench straight after.

I have spoken to my coach and we are going to try change my grip so that my wrists are cocked forward.  Its going to take a bit of getting used to but keen to give it a crack.  I might get hold of a SSB for my prep for my next comp (worlds/pro-raw)

Probably right bro, Ive just been eyeing up the all time rankings on Powerlifting watch and the top 20 of all time in the 110s is not that far away but theres no point dropping weight if it compromises strength

Probably better to just shoot for the 900 regardless of bodyweight

11kg sounds like a lot in absolute terms but you're 121kg so that's only 9% of your bodyweight. Plus a high percentage of that is muscle which is mostly water so easy to drop. 10% of bodyweight is easy to drop without sacrificing strength. 15% starts getting risky. Up to you bro but I don't see why you couldn't do it. Unless you stuff up the rehydration/carb-up, you're not gonna lift any less after doing a water cut than if you didn't

Im not 121kg first thing in the morning, thats when I hit the gym at 7pm at night

I reckon I will be somewhere around 117-118kg before breakfast etc so its really only 7-8kg to lose

How much weight have you successfully dropped without it compromising your strength

Im not 121kg first thing in the morning, thats when I hit the gym at 7pm at night

I reckon I will be somewhere around 117-118kg before breakfast etc so its really only 7-8kg to lose

How much weight have you successfully dropped without it compromising your strength

Sydney I think I was roughly 89.5kg on Wednesday night after dinner, 87.5kg on Thursday morning butt naked. Weighed in at 82.4kg so just over 5kg dropped or 6% of bodyweight. Still hit PBs so no drop in strength.

Yeah a Safety Squat bar would absolutely alieviate the issue during training. The problem will arise when I squat my 3 or possibly 4 attempts in comp and then have to bench straight after.

Yeah i just meant to minimise aggravating it as much as possible until comp day and even -10% of discomfort on the day because you havent aggravated it so much in training would be worthwhile i reckon

Yeah i just meant to minimise aggravating it as much as possible until comp day and even -10% of discomfort on the day because you havent aggravated it so much in training would be worthwhile i reckon

You're not wrong, but the SSB at my gym is short and could only hold 220 on it.  

Im also gonna have a deload week so hopefully thats enough

Squat session tonight

Eddie Hall Pyramid set from 60kg up to 280kg then back down.  Should have gone up to 300 but I pussied out

Other highlights were a single at 320kg then a set of 500b x 10 (227.5kg).  

Great session with Tom Lee who put up an extremely impressive 265 x 3 then a single at 280

Who was shit camera man on toms 280... Wasnt working that would be a pb lift! Wanted to see da grind!!!

strong squats that 320 abit high tho? Suppose after all those other squats it would be though. You are thrashing it!

What is GPC WR squat in u125? 365kg?