Hello All

Lapsed_Pacifist

Greetings all...newbie from Auckland...

Turned the big 40 now...and currently 8 years post cancer...

Chemo/Radio totally ruined the fitness/shape I had (previously 85kg @ 12% BF), so on a journey to regain what I lost...or a modicum thereof...

Been a gym rat (for lack of a better term) on and off since I was about 15 (Dr's credit my recovery with how super fit I was prior)...

Starting 'year two' of a 'three year plan'  to surprise friends and family alike @ 42 (10 years post surgery)

To paraphrase 'The Oak': Its time to get serious :)

Cheers...

Huge congrats on beating cancer.

I know of a few people on Aus forums that have bounced back from cancer to 10000x the shape they were in pre cancer, sounds like its a good motivator, and its definitely possible.

Do you have any ongoing health issues from it? Where are you at size wise now after year 1 of your plan?

Hi Maccaz, thanks for the reply :)

Sad to say I do  have a number of side effects post surgery & treatment...

Some can be mitigated...some cannot :P

When I finished chemo/radio (7 weeks chemo& radio - then another 42 weeks chemo)...I was 79kg & ~ 20% BF...

Currently sitting at 89kg ~ 13% BF

Ideally I'd like to get to 90kg @ 10% BF...

Hi Maccaz, thanks for the reply :)

Sad to say I do  have a number of side effects post surgery & treatment...

Some can be mitigated...some cannot :P

When I finished chemo/radio (7 weeks chemo& radio - then another 42 weeks chemo)...I was 79kg & ~ 20% BF...

Currently sitting at 89kg ~ 13% BF

Ideally I'd like to get to 90kg @ 10% BF...

What long term affects if you dont mind me asking? don't seem to have affected your gains!

good to see someone posting a realistic goal i think +1kg -3% bodyfat should be very doable in a year.

Should make a journal here, one of best decisions I made lifting wise back in the day kept me honest

Hey Maccaz,

Long term affects...

Metabolism/Endocrine system FUBAR...

Short term memory is FUBAR ( now I colour code my business shirts so I remember what day of the week it is ha! )

Stomach cant handle large volumes of food (probably a good thing)...

There are a couple of other symptoms I'd rather not list - but you can PM me about :P

I like to think my goal is reachable...but really struggle to put on quality muscle and lose fat...

Cheers

Hi Maccaz,

Yes...I am on TRT ( Reandron - helps in general, but not as much as one would like :P  )

The radiotherapy 'cooked' my nuts (was brain cancer, so they nuked my brain and spine - think 'radiation exit directions' )

Cheers...

jesus fkn respect.

most people would have the goal of living like a normal human after that, let alone getting in better shape than 99% of people that have never had cancer

Thanks Maccaz  ;-)

Yeah...the Dr's credit my recovery with how fit and healthy I was pre-diagnosis...

I went a bit 'fitness crazy' afterwards...did 5 half-marathons...three marathons...three 100km's... and two 25kms...and eventually started working out again regularly...

Now I have much more moderate goals  :think:

Plus...I like to surprise people...but doing things they say I can't...