Want to work out at home - whats the minimum equipment i need to buy?

HalfNatty

Hi Guys,

as much as i love going to an actual gym and using all the wonderful machines etc life is getting fuller and i dont have that much time to travel to the gym fight for a car-park and wait for others to finish on the equipment neither can i get out in the early mornings because thats the wifes gym time. if i can workout at home i get to see my children more instead of getting home right before thier bed time

i was considering owning a home gym set. whats the minimum equipment that i need to have a nice all round workout.

i was thinking of a flat bench (possibly an adjustable that can do incline and decline as well)

barbel set and dumbbells and one of those combined machines that has a pec dec a chest press and a lat pull down bar and stuff for leg extensions etc.

currently i dont do squats or dead lifts - something dodgy going on with my lumbar/thoracic junction 

who here has set up a home gym and wht additional items might i need to cover most areas?

my workouts are mostly just resistance just trying to get a bit bigger and stronger.

My advice would be to get your back looked at first up. Without squats and deads you are really selling yourself short.  If you only want to train your upper body just get a bench press , An adjustable bench and some plates. A set of adjustable dumbbells if you like for curls and lateral raises.  Id invest in a power cage though . Youll never outgrow it and you can bench inside them or squat and do pullups . 

My advice would be to get your back looked at first up. Without squats and deads you are really selling yourself short.  If you only want to train your upper body just get a bench press , An adjustable bench and some plates. A set of adjustable dumbbells if you like for curls and lateral raises.  Id invest in a power cage though . Youll never outgrow it and you can bench inside them or squat and do pullups . 

do you ever use safetys inside cage for bench?

i find if i set them high enough to actually be safe then if i nick them at the bottom of the movement it puts me off completely, but any lower and no point having them cos chest will be the safety

same as hitting safetys in a squat, completely ruins the lift

Safetys should be below your chest, but above your neck. That's the part that matters. 

oh derp okay that helps a lot, cheers, i figure im not pushing any weight thats gonna kill me but just when im home alone etc dont wanna faint or something then get crushed and lose my bond cos the house stinks of dead body. cheers

Thanks guys, yeah ive been seeing an osteo for ages regarding the back thing its related to a compression injury i had while mountain biking and performing a superman maneuver over the handlebars and hitting my head on a tree.

seems to stabilize and then every once in a while if im not doing things carefully something will happen - perhaps i just need some form coaching - on the squats and deads. i can do 100kg with no major issues most of the time but when i push it much past that i tend to make something in there move and its all over for 6 weeks. so light and high volume might be the answer for me - i do like doing leg and its ever so boring if its just extensions and presses and hammies 

legs are pretty good though - started at 175kg and carrying that much shit around for a decade has given me pretty reasonable quads and calf muscles 

Why limit yourself to a Smith machine? You could get a heavy duty power cage and decent (enough) bar for under $700. Then fork out for the plates which is around $950 for 260 kgs. Not cheap but you want to do the home thing. Price up No1 fitness anyhow. I've been pricing up for a while now and seems to be the best site.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a home gym and I never had the motivation to use it, I don't know why. When I joined my local gym I found tons of motivation to keep me going. The motivation given by my personal trainer, like minded people, compliments about getting bigger, and some of the mid aged cougars are pretty hot too. Home gyms are boring and the weights are too light for me anyway.

If I had a home gym it would consist of a smith, adjustable bench, free weights + curl bar an oly bar. Use the smith for controlled squats, lunges, raises,isolated pecs on incline, flat and decline, shoulder press... List goes on and its safe to use at home alone because you can set the level on which if you drop the bar its not going to land on you.

Oly bar for deads

Curl bar for curls, reverse grip tris

Free weights... Nuf sed

Smith machine is a real gay idea too brO. Power cage, barbell and plates... I had an adjustable bench when I had mine and was fine for heavy flat bench press and could use for other stuff like incline and seated press as opposed to a flat solid bench. But the shit is cheap enough these days anyway. All you need is barbell. Unless you have crazy amounts of space and lots of money to spend on a set up then it's a no brainer

Yep since I got my cage/bar/plates

I have never looked back, make sure to buy new if u can.why? My justbl bench shit itself..they said I too fat..but I didnt put togethor properly..and bar collar bolt threaded..too much dropping on deads..both replaced under warranty..just make sure brah.

Yep since I got my cage/bar/plates

I have never looked back, make sure to buy new if u can.why? My justbl bench shit itself..they said I too fat..but I didnt put togethor properly..and bar collar bolt threaded..too much dropping on deads..both replaced under warranty..just make sure brah.

my collars are shit as, but were shit from day one, reckon its worth a try swapping them for better ones under warranty?

second hand is fine. just buy quality not garbage

problem i found was people that are likely to sell all their shit after a year or two (found new hobby or something) usually bought shit quality stuff in the first place

people that spend $ on high quality stuff usually will keep forever

thats why its been such a mish to find a second hand good bar and gonna have to suck it up and buy new at some point (mine is real shit)

• 3 weeks later...