The NZ fitness social media scene

Pseudonym

Today at work I stumbled across a topic listing the most annoying phrases by healthy living bloggers.

Then I get on Gymnation and find Realtalk starting a similar rant in another topic. It seemed like a good idea, so I'm splitting it into a topic of its own...

And why are so many people sponsored these days? All nz bodybuilders and shit on Instagram are just writing in their profile that they are a sponsored athlete from this brand and that brand and they an ambassador to this other brand of supplements... What do they even get for being sponsored? Talk about one way traffic and selling yourself short, bet they don't get shit and just think its some kind of achievement... Having $10,000 pair of tits and fat ol' arse ain't an achievement.. And Wtf is an ambassador? it's like a new term that's been started, kind of like a sponsorship apprenticeship I assume... Do your time advertising our brand for free with your name as a 10% discount code and then maybe we will give you somethinng for free but only if you mention our supps in every single post you make. Anyone else notice all this bullshit going on?

K that was rant of month ($200 nzmuscle voucher)

So go on... what are the most annoying trends in the social media fitness scene right now?

Its a bunch of women that are self conscience and looking for approval/encouragement about the way they look.

When I was doing nutrition plans heaps of young women would eager to get in same to do bikini and be involved in the social fitness community.... 

It doesn't take much effort to find these individuals on social media... I've had a friend that had her ribs trimmed and breast implants to get better shape so she can compete in the bikini class... the odd thing is she doesn't even think that its unusually... crazy  :think:

While I think some of it is verging on narcissism, aren't all of us looking for approval from someone in some area of our lives? If people feel better about themselves because of the compliments a stranger gives them then surely that is a good thing, to a point.

I admit that some of the shit I see is annoying but it isn't that big of a deal if someone takes the same selfie every day

They can do whatever the f*ck they want. No future in 'fitness industry' anyway so unless your looking to get into something like that no use complaining about it unless for attention.

Most annoying trend is exactly that imo, phaggots that think their doing something great, that their all gonna 'make it' one day (naturally ofc) then become a sponsored athlete (natural) and a fitness model and a natural bodybuilder while emulating naturals like mike ohearn and greg plitt. (i.e everyone on swift's fb group)

Utter egotistical self entitlement "i wanna be different" mentality.

Its a 'lifestyle' guys!! :pfft:

My pet social media peeves:

One love

It's trendy right now to see the world through rose-tinted glasses. But even more important... to TELL the world that you're seeing it through rose-tinted glasses. Your spirit is pure, and you never think bad things about anyone. Honest. Which is lovely, in principle. But I've always thought that those with the most "universal love and respect for all people" are probably not the ones who are constantly preaching it.

#fitspo

As if the blend of "fit" and "inspiration" wasn't nasty enough, now it's been abbreviated and turned into a hashtag too.

Instagram

Speaking of hashtags, what is the point of Instagram? As far as I can work out, the goal seems to be to accumulate Likes and Follows. But half the likes come from overseas strangers who are only liking you in the hope that you'll like them back.

Political greasing

I want to keep this topic light and humourous, so let's just say... Nothing's greasier than a bodybuilder oiling up for a show.

The "journey"

Getting ready for a competition? That's a journey. Discovered you've been doing something wrong for the last 4 years? That's a journey. Struggling to balance work and gym and social life? That's a journey. Going on a journey? That's a- oh no, wait, what's that called now?

Its so hard?  Don't do it then, no one is forcing you too

Hardest thing you've ever done?  Get in the real world.  Competing is probably the easiest 'hard' thing you'll ever have to go through.  You shut the door on reality and just check out from real life.  Starting a business or losing a loved one.  Thats hard.

I was wondering how most of these people get sponsorships from supp companies? What does one have to achieve and what do they get from being one? Seems like every bikini competitor is a sponsored athlete on Instagram. Not a lot of powerlifters though. BG was only just recently picked up. Now theres someone who deserves a sponsorship.

I was wondering how most of these people get sponsorships from supp companies? What does one have to achieve and what do they get from being one? Seems like every bikini competitor is a sponsored athlete on Instagram. Not a lot of powerlifters though. BG was only just recently picked up. Now theres someone who deserves a sponsorship.

yeah i was quite surprised when i saw that announcement, thought he was already on the sbd team since ages ago lol. about all those so called 'sponsored athletes' i think they get a tshirt and a 10% discount on their purchases from some supp store, maybe a tub of something every now and then  and claim they are sponsored athletes now (gr style). they certainly won't be getting their salaries filled or anything like that and more or less still being walking billboards for the 'sponsors'

Sponsorship and affiliations are just related to the amount of potential customers and sales they can make. Its all about the money. Someone with 100,000-1,000,000 (arbitrary numbers) followers who will reach the right market is sponsorship material, almost regardless of anything else.

imo this is true probably about 95% of the time. But i think alot 'sponsorship's' probably dont involve much consideration, ie they probably get themselves some chitty product once a month or something.   And what is the shelf life of an 'athlete', cant be that long, can it? 

'followers' are almost currency, these people get paid to do shout-outs and chit of brands/companies/individuals to gain exposure. 

my 2c anyways. 

While you're out clubbing and having fun I'm working my ass of at the gym.....

Photos of brocolli & chicken saying I love this healthy lifestyle....

If you say anything similar to the above...GTFO! :pfft:  Bodybuilding dieting & training can be damn tedious & boring when its comp time, at times its downright miserable! While I dont think anyone else has to endure tales of how tough it is I think its equally annoying pretending you're living the dream!

#fcukbrocolli #gimmeheineken KFC>CleanEating

While you're out clubbing and having fun I'm working my ass of at the gym.....

Photos of brocolli & chicken saying I love this healthy lifestyle....

If you say anything similar to the above...GTFO! :pfft: Bodybuilding dieting & training can be damn tedious & boring when its comp time, at times its downright miserable! While I dont think anyone else has to endure tales of how tough it is I think its equally annoying pretending you're living the dream!

#fcukbrocolli #gimmeheineken KFC>CleanEating

Exactly havnt these people heard of training after work in the evening. I don't know of anyone big or strong who trains at 1am on a Saturday night. Why does training at the time make you "hardcore"? makes you look fucking stupid to me. Let's take a photo in the gym and post it on social media telling everyone im training at 1am getting gains. lol. As for people saying diet is hard and ruins their life most ppl who post that are bikini girls and they don't even diet or train hard. Just genetically nice looking bodies. I hate these fitness memes like that, I really fucking do.

• 1 year later...

I do all my cardio at 1pm most nights lolol ... I feel bad.  But at least I don't post about it.  :D  ... busy people train when they can if they run businesses and have children ... just a fact of life.

My biggest pet peeve is the "fortune cookie posts" ... "I started down here and now I'm up here, come to me now I will rehash a diet I paid for from someone else and it will make you successful too" ... Some of these kids are on minimum wage and living at home with mum and dad ffs.