Hey!!

lynx

Hi Daniel

Good on you for introducing yourself, what component of gym training do you like?

Have you any goals for this year?

Welcome to Gymnation

Hey, my goal this year is to find a decent programe and stick to it, and 2015 is all about bettering myself for me. 

que blah blah blah speal about 'new year, new me' shit... but ive been lurking for a while and finally thought i better sign up and introduce my self.

Cheers Daniel

Hi Daniel

Good on you for introducing yourself, what component of gym training do you like?

Have you any goals for this year?

Welcome to Gymnation

Hey, my goal this year is to find a decent programe and stick to it, and 2015 is all about bettering myself for me. 

que blah blah blah speal about 'new year, new me' shit... but ive been lurking for a while and finally thought i better sign up and introduce my self.

Cheers Daniel

Good on you, you do not need a new years resolution to participate.

You will find alot of support on Gymnation, for whatever it is you want to do.

Jut ask there are plenty of us willing to help.

Hey Guys, First Question.

Is it ok to do squats/bp etc in a smiths machine? i have no lifting partner so this seems the easiest way. or is it frowned upon at the gym?

Cheers Daniel

Do whatever you want. Anything is okay so long as it doesn't breach the contract relating to the terms of use and it isn't illegal. 

Dont really see why you have to use the smith machine if you don't have a lifting partner.

Hey Guys, First Question.

Is it ok to do squats/bp etc in a smiths machine? i have no lifting partner so this seems the easiest way. or is it frowned upon at the gym?

Cheers Daniel

Do whatever you want. Anything is okay so long as it doesn't breach the contract relating to the terms of use and it isn't illegal. 

Dont really see why you have to use the smith machine if you don't have a lifting partner.

hey, was just asking as i seen some other people using it on their own, and thought i would be a good idea, especially on ya own, allgood tho dont know if ya dont ask.

Cheers 

You're right to ask. Some people don't like the smith machine because it locks you into a specific range of motion which is not the path you naturally follow to squat/bench. And that's a valid argument for sure.

Personally I think smith machine has its place, but I use it to supplement the other exercises, not replace them. For example, if I'm benching, I might do some explosive reps on it, or some super-slow ones. In that case, being locked into one movement path is actually quite helpful. But I'll probably have done regular bench pressing before that.

If you're doing squats, you can set the safety rails in the cage to the right height in case you fail - at which point the smith machine is not really any safer anyway.

You're right to ask. Some people don't like the smith machine because it locks you into a specific range of motion which is not the path you naturally follow to squat/bench. And that's a valid argument for sure.

Personally I think smith machine has its place, but I use it to supplement the other exercises, not replace them. For example, if I'm benching, I might do some explosive reps on it, or some super-slow ones. In that case, being locked into one movement path is actually quite helpful. But I'll probably have done regular bench pressing before that.

If you're doing squats, you can set the safety rails in the cage to the right height in case you fail - at which point the smith machine is not really any safer anyway.

Cheers Mate, next question, ive been looking for a program to follow and alot of them only have like 3 exercises, but big weights. I wanna do them, but i also want to do other exercises ontop of that, will that cause and gain issues?

Cheers Daniel 

What program you referring to? sounds like sl or something

Hey man, for example http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/starting-strength-review-of-mark-rippetoes-barbell-bible.html 

Starting Strength, which is ment to be the 'go to' for beginners according to what i read, and not knocking it or anything, but i like doing those and other exercises. When i go to the gym i like to be there for a decent amount of time. And like doing other stuff too, like pull ups etc.

Is there another program i should look at? Currently 23 y/o male, 89.5kg 181cm?

Cheers Daniel

Hi Daniel

My comment would be that you should be training in the gym for about 1 hr any longer than that and you are not likely to be working at peak efficiency, any shorter and obviously you could be doing more.

No, I know there are going to be all sorts of replies to that statement, but that is just my hallmark. Basically you should be working at the necessary intensity that will see you do all that needs to be done in about 1 hr, ie totally worn out.

Few of us will be able to recommend a program unless we know what your goals are.

The program you use needs to meet your specific aims ie powerlifting, bodybuilding, crossfit etc.

Hi Daniel

My comment would be that you should be training in the gym for about 1 hr any longer than that and you are not likely to be working at peak efficiency, any shorter and obviously you could be doing more.

No, I know there are going to be all sorts of replies to that statement, but that is just my hallmark. Basically you should be working at the necessary intensity that will see you do all that needs to be done in about 1 hr, ie totally worn out.

Few of us will be able to recommend a program unless we know what your goals are.

The program you use needs to meet your specific aims ie powerlifting, bodybuilding, crossfit etc.

Cheer s for the reply, i too am quite comfortable with an hour sessions, and after im completly worn out haha.

As for goals, id like to build muscle and sculpt what i already have. ill start a log thread and do all the measurements etc.

Cheers Daniel 

Yeah stronglifts is great for getting you started. You can add in pullups, curls and other stuff like that no problem. After you done with stronglifts I highly recommend wookie method. And as rebel says an hour is great you only need to make every set and excersise count, no point fking around for all pump no gains etc. But take your time with the 5x5 stuff, 3-5 mins between sets whatever floats your boat :)

lol saying train for an hour stupid. can smash everything in 40min easy if you take f*ck all rest between sets but better off resting longer at start of workout (if strength is a goal..obv its not rebel101 goal) shorter towards end when you doing accessory excercises/lighter weights if you wana do that shit and get pump. i rather train 1.5 hours atm for most muscle groups.from reading your old journal rebel it looked like you just had routine you follow and were just 'going through the motions' so to speak. if i feel fucked early just go home if im still smashing it i say longer do more sets etc.

just do whatever you feel like bro dependent on how much spare time you have available. wtf is 'sculpting muscle you already have' though?

lol saying train for an hour stupid. can smash everything in 40min easy if you take f*ck all rest between sets but better off resting longer at start of workout (if strength is a goal..obv its not rebel101 goal) shorter towards end when you doing accessory excercises/lighter weights if you wana do that shit and get pump. i rather train 1.5 hours atm for most muscle groups.from reading your old journal rebel it looked like you just had routine you follow and were just 'going through the motions' so to speak. if i feel fucked early just go home if im still smashing it i say longer do more sets etc.

just do whatever you feel like bro dependent on how much spare time you have available. wtf is 'sculpting muscle you already have' though?

Cheers for the replies fellas, umm by this i ment i want to build more muscle, ive already got decent arms due to physical job etc, but we can all have more right? 

Give us a yell if you need any tips etc.  Not a pro but been doing this long enough to give some good advice on form and mind/muscle connections etc(cues on how to focus on doing the excersize to maximise the contractions!) 

Cheers bro, train at snap fitness, sent you a pm