smolov jr bench+squat simultaneously

maccaz

I have next 3 weeks to focus on lifting full time as off work and gf going overseas and dont wanna go get wasted the whole time so gonna find a serious program as length of workouts doesn't matter.

was thinking simultaneous smolov jr bench and squat, based on conservative maxes and no accessory work or deadlifts and it should be doable (looks that way on paper anyway)

reason being they are known to be brutal and I wanna push myself, and also my deadlift improves just from squatting so dont mind not deadlifting for 3 weeks.

Anyone done this?

edit : doing it, start monday, program in my journal if you're interested, wish me luck lol

I've done it. In fact if I recall I did two cycles back to back so 6 weeks. It was good. I gained in all three lifts but I was smashing back calories as well.

Take care of your shoulders, especially if you are doing low bar squats and paused bench. They were the first thing to start fatiguing. Other than that, with conservative numbers you'll be sweet. Also keep some sort of row/pull in there as a little assistance. It will help with overall shoulder health and grip strength.

Good luck

I've done it. In fact if I recall I did two cycles back to back so 6 weeks. It was good. I gained in all three lifts but I was smashing back calories as well.

Take care of your shoulders, especially if you are doing low bar squats and paused bench. They were the first thing to start fatiguing. Other than that, with conservative numbers you'll be sweet. Also keep some sort of row/pull in there as a little assistance. It will help with overall shoulder health and grip strength.

Good luck

cheers, yeah you're right a few rows or partial deadlifts or something easy on the legs will be good so i'll do that as well

I've done it 2 or 3 times combined. I know every time I've done it I actually supersetted, or really just alternated sets, of squats and bench. Made it all fit together really well time and recovery wise, bench felt like a rest between squats. It was rare to go over an hour for S+B except on the 10x3 days, the other days I still managed plenty of back work and still did speed deads once a week. However if it's your first time through a high frequency squat program, 3 weeks of not deadlifting really won't matter as long as you keep the back work in for grip. 

As Northland power mentioned, the key is maintaining your shoulders and recovery in general. Shoulder health, eating, and sleep are your top priorities. If you think you can handle some extra work, throw it in, but err on the side of too little. 

I've done it 2 or 3 times combined. I know every time I've done it I actually supersetted, or really just alternated sets, of squats and bench. Made it all fit together really well time and recovery wise, bench felt like a rest between squats. It was rare to go over an hour for S+B except on the 10x3 days, the other days I still managed plenty of back work and still did speed deads once a week. However if it's your first time through a high frequency squat program, 3 weeks of not deadlifting really won't matter as long as you keep the back work in for grip. 

As Northland power mentioned, the key is maintaining your shoulders and recovery in general. Shoulder health, eating, and sleep are your top priorities. If you think you can handle some extra work, throw it in, but err on the side of too little. 

And now your a dirty cross country runner. :smackbottom:

This is pretty common tbh. Most PL have atleast attempted it. Honestly can't remember if I have done them back to back but i've done both several times and looking back all it really did for my long term lifting was spike the body weight up a few kgs.

I like the idea that you have nothing else on, this should be a perfect environment for you to lift/eat/sleep/repeat.

Lots of mob before and stretching after to save your life tho. If you are looking at other options there are some awesome Russian Squat+Bench progs out there which I ran all of 2013 and got some good gains.

Happy to expand further.

didn't you say you were going on some kind of cut or something? not sure if this would still be good to do on caloric deficit

This is on hold as I'm not getting fatter and as I gain weight i look better as shoulders/chest are over powering waist etc so ill push cut back till late jan/feb (prob for bali trip in march)

This is pretty common tbh. Most PL have atleast attempted it. Honestly can't remember if I have done them back to back but i've done both several times and looking back all it really did for my long term lifting was spike the body weight up a few kgs.

I like the idea that you have nothing else on, this should be a perfect environment for you to lift/eat/sleep/repeat.

Lots of mob before and stretching after to save your life tho. If you are looking at other options there are some awesome Russian Squat+Bench progs out there which I ran all of 2013 and got some good gains.

Happy to expand further.

Some other suggestions would be cool.

I just thought of smolov as I don't know anything about programming and I wanted something that would push me especially hard with proven results and high frequency squat/bench without heaps of accessories (only have bars and squat rack and bench no dbs etc in my home gym)

http://www.allthingsgym.com/russian-squat-routine-bench-press-deadlift-generator-spreadsheet/

My fav that ive done so far .  Definitely made me stronger on the squat and bench. Especially through the 2-6 rep ranges .  I did this but only deadlifted once a week as I thought it may be a bit much unless you are on the go go juice.

Looks like the one. There are a few out there but generally follow this concept.

Let us know how you get on.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/russian-squat-routine-bench-press-deadlift-generator-spreadsheet/

My fav that ive done so far .  Definitely made me stronger on the squat and bench. Especially through the 2-6 rep ranges .  I did this but only deadlifted once a week as I thought it may be a bit much unless you are on the go go juice.

Looks like the one. There are a few out there but generally follow this concept.

Let us know how you get on.

Do you do any accessory stuff or just sbd and bank ext?

I did do a dedicated shoulder workout and some back work on dead days. Just 2 sets of 8-10 x 2 different back movements . DB row and pulldown or pullup variations on dead day. Shoulders was oh presses , side laterals and rear delt on a seperate day by themselves. Always before the lighter bench day. Maybee chuck in one tricep and two bicep sets but that was it. I dont think you were supposed to though.