NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Pseudonym

William Trubridge's 102m dive

Has anyone else been following this? I have, but then I'm a diver (albeit scuba, not freediving).

We were discussing this at work the other day, and calculated that 102m is basically two-thirds of the Metropolis building - or one-third of the Sky Tower. That's a pretty solid effort!

He must be gutted to have got so close and missed it. But the footage is really cool anyway.

EDIT: Turns out Moss Burmester was one of the safety divers. Here's his take on it:

http://www.mossburmester.co.nz/blog/safety-diving-for-william-trubridges-102m-deep-dive

Tried holding my breath with him and got up to 50 loool.

It gets harder as you get deeper? Or easier as you get deeper to hold your breathe?

I watched this doco one time on one of the Nat geo channels about this race of ppl who can hold their breathe for such s long time and they run along the bottom of the sea and that is how they hunt for food. Their heart rate slows down to some crazy minimal bpm.

Anyone else seen anything like that before!

It gets harder as you get deeper? Or easier as you get deeper to hold your breathe?

If you're on scuba, and are actually breathing, it gets harder to breath the deeper you go. The increased pressure means the air is denser.

In this case, because it's all on one breath, I'm not sure the depth would have any effect (beyond compressing his lungs to the size of a grapefruit). From memory, the urge to breath comes from a buildup of carbon dioxide, and that would apply regardless of pressure, I think.

A grapefruit is being generous I think. At the bottom of that dive, every airspace in his body (lungs, sinus, inner ears) would be crushed to 1/11th of their size on the surface.

Fucking ouch.

A grapefruit is being generous I think. At the bottom of that dive, every airspace in his body (lungs, sinus, inner ears) would be crushed to 1/11th of their size on the surface.

Fucking ouch.

Because 10m of water is approximately 1atm pressure right?