NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
maccaz

cardio fasted or post work out?

Need to do some cardio, get puffed too easy lately, done cardio maybe 3 times in last month

was thinking 60 minute fast walk/ jog (stationary bike when weathers shit) fasted first thing in the morning for extra fat burning (is that even a thing or been debunked?)

otherwise 60 minutes after work out before bed but thats not ideal for me lifestyle wise but can do if fasted is a no no catabolism wise.

keen to get some input, leaning towards fasted am cardio unless its gonna eat all my muscle (i have f*ck all, definitely not enough to give away lol)

Need to do some cardio, get puffed too easy lately, done cardio maybe 3 times in last month

was thinking 60 minute fast walk/ jog (stationary bike when weathers shit) fasted first thing in the morning for extra fat burning (is that even a thing or been debunked?)

otherwise 60 minutes after work out before bed but thats not ideal for me lifestyle wise but can do if fasted is a no no catabolism wise.

keen to get some input, leaning towards fasted am cardio unless its gonna eat all my muscle (i have f*ck all, definitely not enough to give away lol)

Its a lot harder than people think to have muscle be eaten away. 

Fasted or not I don't think it matters ive done both no preference 

I don't think it makes too much difference in the end. But as Jimmybro says, I don't think you're going to suddenly waste away from doing fasted cardio. So if you want to make sure you're doing everything you can (hey, it MIGHT help!) then go for it.

Yeah sweet forgot i posted this. Started running in morning just on a black coffee. See how i go. Be good for cardio if nothing else, make lungs one less factor to hold back squat intensity, so unfit atm lol

Definitely a fan of fasted cardio, but why do you want to waste so much time on it?  15min HIIT on a black coffee and some BCCAs is the way.

Inb4 supplement sales rep

Definitely a fan of fasted cardio, but why do you want to waste so much time on it?  15min HIIT on a black coffee and some BCCAs is the way.

Ok, OK - so skip the BCCAs.  Just makes me feel like I've done everything avaiable to me to prevent muscle loss.  I don't gain it easy, so I sure as hell don't want to lose any.  Unless I can chose where to lose it from - then I chose legs, they could do with a little less.  If only.........

a black coffee and some BCCAs is the way.

Flamer's clearly not a supplement sales rep... she only suggested black coffee, when there are much more expensive options with glittery labels available!

So... to BCAA or not to BCAA? That is the question. For what it's worth, my decision would probably be based on how flush with cash I'm feeling at the time. If flush, then I figure it's good insurance and I know people wiser and more experienced than me who swear by them. Also, it tasted nice. But if not flush, I figure it's an expense I can do without.

There was an article my husband read not so long ago on fasted cardio and research has it that there were additional benefits attached to completing fasting cardio.

I'm with Flamer when the occasion requires it you do whatever you need to to meet your obligations.

A 30g protein shake will give you bcaa's and should hardly affect the the benefits of fasted state by the time it fully digests, which is around 2 hours. Dont let the poor girl starve rebele

Just saying that if you take it food of any kind then u are not in a fasting state!

As we are discussing fasting cardio then we have to keep in the frame that it should be done "fasting".

This means about 8 hours post food intake.

This allows the body to utilise all available food held in the GI tract.

Excercise then completed would theoretically call firstly on the glycogen held in the muscles then in the liver then in turn utilise fat as required.

As no food has been consummed for at least 8 hours the bodies pool of available glycogen would be at its lowest for any 24 hour period and the body must then make optimal use of fat reserves.

This should be the logic behind fasting cardio.