reduce bf % while maintaining/gaining strength

maccaz

So have had good as progress strength wise last couple months, and haven't put on much if any fat.

in 2015 I would like to reduce my bf% to a level that I can sustain permanently. I would say currently 20% @ 94kg , would like to be 14% or so, apart from aesthetic reasons which i dont really care about would like to improve my lifts:bodyweight ratio.

not really keen if its gonna be at the expense of much if any strength

how would you go about doing this? a very slight deficit and up the cardio?

keep in mind this is secondary to my strength goals, just would be nice to lose a bit of fat.

in the past when i was fat just did keto to lose weight so thats all im familiar with but obviously that won't work with strength being main focus

From my experience you will be sweet as long as you don't crash diet down. I wouldn't add cardio personally but thats me ha. Its a long long road dieting down and maintaining strength because any big calorie deficit results in a loss of strength. This is talking from personal experience may be totally different for you though.

So you could for example drop 100 cals from your diet in week one see how you feel in training how is your weight coming off etc. Then continue to reduce the cals slowly until you reach your desired weight of bf %.  That's how I would go about it anyway.

The final thing that I thought I would say not sure if you are interested in competing or what not. But if you lift with a 24 hour weigh in you will be sweet to water cut but if you have a 2 hour weigh in my advice would be to aim to make weight +1kg minimum 2 weeks out or atleast one week prior so you are no longer in deficit calories for that week and can fuel your body for that weight class. But thats all my opinions from cutting down to 93kgs multiple times this year and having a disaster lol.

From my experience you will be sweet as long as you don't crash diet down. I wouldn't add cardio personally but thats me ha. Its a long long road dieting down and maintaining strength because any big calorie deficit results in a loss of strength. This is talking from personal experience may be totally different for you though.

So you could for example drop 100 cals from your diet in week one see how you feel in training how is your weight coming off etc. Then continue to reduce the cals slowly until you reach your desired weight of bf %.  That's how I would go about it anyway.

The final thing that I thought I would say not sure if you are interested in competing or what not. But if you lift with a 24 hour weigh in you will be sweet to water cut but if you have a 2 hour weigh in my advice would be to aim to make weight +1kg minimum 2 weeks out or atleast one week prior so you are no longer in deficit calories for that week and can fuel your body for that weight class. But thats all my opinions from cutting down to 93kgs multiple times this year and having a disaster lol.

cheers.

definitely will be a slow slow long term cut.strength is priority. probably start gradually lowering the food after christmas.

yep want to compete eventually so dunno what the weight classes etc are haven't looked that much into it, will just get down to a level i feel as though i can maintain permanently.

have done few practice water cuts for boxing when I was younger etc and dont think i will try cut much if any, rather feel 100% on the day than give away some strength for couple kilos on scales.

I'd also take the calories out of one/two meals entirely, rather than take out small amounts per meal over the course of a day. This seems more advantageous when at a higher bf percentage.

first thing in the morning is considered best time as it's when natural growth hormone (while awake) is elevated, unless weight training.  That meal should still have a bolus of protein, but no carb and low fat to keep insulin from interfering with growth hormone.