Purchasing weightlifting shoes

GyzzBrah

i got same problem, no physical shops to go try shit on, and if they do have in physical stock they usually only stock one brand so too risky trying a size in one brand and it being different in another brand.

best bet find online shop like http://www.ironedge.com.au/store/weightlifting-shoes/ then ask if they take returns for sizing

yeah what tom said^ sprint fit you can go try on in person, beneficial given you'll be spending a fair bit and don't want to go too big or too small (though slightly smaller is fine if they good leather shoes as you'll wear them in and they become perfect)

There is also industrial athletic (http://www.industrialathletic.com/products/category/32/shoes) in NZ which sells Do-Wins (fairly well rated). got mine for around $170 last year, don't regret it at all. Can't do much else in them besides lift, but has really helped keep me in a nice stable position for all my big lifts (for the exception of deadlifts where the heel is not that good). I think TLG and few others from here use these too and rate it well. They didn't have a physical outlet to try them on, though with some research and comments from others around here I went a size down from my usual nike running shoes (eg. running shoes us 8.5, went 8.0 in do-wins).

http://www.industrialathletic.com/product/96/do-win-weightlifting-shoe

Other than that, there's also Romaleos which are quite popular, some people grab them when on good sales overseason - maybe check Eastbay.com on this friday/sat.. maybe other american retailers too, expecting some kind of 'black friday' sales coming up.

edit - also you might find this thread useful (created similar thread to this last year) - http://www.gymnation.co.nz/index.php/topic/17809-lifting-shoes-arch-support-adidas-powerlift-20-reebok-oly-lifter/

Ok well ive had a bit of shoe fetish when it comes to gym shoes. I own the adidas powerlifts, 2pairs of Adipowers and had the romaleos which I gave to Brett Gibbs as was about a half size to big. To me the romaleos and adipowers were equal for sturdyness but the adipowers were tighter accross ways as I have a narrow foot. All were as sturdy as each other with exception slightly to the powerlifts having a slightly softer sole and a touch less sturdyness left to right roll wise but still solid and Dan Green has used them in vids ive seen so they can take it. Powerlifts were cheapest but ugliest for me personally but I think they have a range of colors now. Ill never switch from my Adipowers.

At what point would you guys suggest graduating from Chucks (or some other firm, flat-soled shoe) into a proper lifting shoe? $170 is a lot of cash for a shoe that you only wear for an hour a week! :D

Yeah but lasts for years and years. I wear my jandals to and from the gym so I'm not driving in my shoes or walking across car park in them. I get to gym and put them on use them for squat, OH pressing, I them on some my deadlift days (give me more off floor but make harder on lock out wearing a heal). Mine will last for years because of this so the price isn't really much it's pretty economical. They only get loose and start to feel old and not tight if u walk round in them.

At what point would you guys suggest graduating from Chucks (or some other firm, flat-soled shoe) into a proper lifting shoe? $170 is a lot of cash for a shoe that you only wear for an hour a week! :D

i don't think its a necessity that you change to them. there are some people made world record squats in regular shoes and others who done in squat shoes. personally i found various advantages when switching, came almost instantly. one was obviously stability and good grip so i can push outwards without shoe slipping (once feet planted, they dont move). another instant benefit is i was able to instantly hit depth and keep more upright , just worked well for my build i guess.

also, tend to wear it 2-3 x a week rather than just 1. i find it helps on overhead days as well as bench days (but thats just because i'm a bit short and the heel helps me plant feet lol.

when i bought it, tom suggested those tips above and seem to work pretty well (dont drive in them, walk around randomly in etc.) .. expecting it to last a long time, worthwhile investment so far.

Yeah but lasts for years and years. I wear my jandals to and from the gym so I'm not driving in my shoes or walking across car park in them. I get to gym and put them on use them for squat, OH pressing, I them on some my deadlift days (give me more off floor but make harder on lock out wearing a heal). Mine will last for years because of this so the price isn't really much it's pretty economical. They only get loose and start to feel old and not tight if u walk round in them.

funny you should mention having heel for ohp, how does it help?

I started having heels on mat same as I do for squatting just cos i cbf moving them and it helps a bit but not sure why

need to get lifting shoes

You wear oly shoes when deadlifting? 

Does it effectively work like a deficit? 

You wear oly shoes when deadlifting? 

Does it effectively work like a deficit?

Some times I do yeah not all the time. Nah actually easy to pull the weight off the ground but makes locking out harder. Dunno I don't do deficit deads so dunno what they are like.

funny you should mention having heel for ohp, how does it help?

I started having heels on mat same as I do for squatting just cos i cbf moving them and it helps a bit but not sure why

need to get lifting shoes

I push back into heels on strict press and for push press I find it easier to get that small squat going on and more stability when I power up from the legs. Bent over barbell rows and stuff like that they are rubbish because they push you forward. But even on the leg press they are great.

I find with OHP and BB rows that i benefit in a sense from oly shoes. Its not the heel, its the sturdiness of the shoe. It makes you feel planted to the ground. For bb rows i dont feel it throws me off but everyone is different.

As for deadlifts, some people actually prefer the oly shoe, as it changes the leverages. I tried and i dont prefer it.

i think theres a part 2 aswell. 

I always pull bearfoot. Feet are better than running shoes for that, plus I can use my heels / calfs more. Guess If I were to wear oly shoes the sturdiness would be far better when lifting heavier loads etc.

Calfs?? what kinda deadlifts are you doing.

For deads im in socks and prefer it over anything else. But i pull conventional, i think some company makes deadlift shoes, sabo (i think). Would be good for sumo.

At the end of the day it just comes down to preference and your own leverages on what is going to benefit you. 

As for squats, romaloes everyday, love them. 

Had my Romaleos for almost 2 years of pretty heavy use. I'd say 5-6 hours a week minimum for 80% of that time. No signs of wear whatsoever, doubt I'll ever need to replace them. Which is good because I don't plan on forking out another $300 to get a pair shipped here...

I liked my AdiPowers (now on sale at Eastbay for $US 129) but heels didn't work for me..

I bought them from the States.. Nike and Adidas both run close to running shoe sizes so I checked out the US size on some runners at Rebel to be sure. Bothe Nike and Adidas are a narrow shoe so if, like a lot of Kiwis, you have a wide-ish foot, it'd pay to check.

Tom and Phedder are right with those hints... I've walked out and driven home barefoot rather than damage my lifting shoes. My Metals have had two years of 6-7 hours/ week and are still in great shape.

• 2 weeks later...