The cost of getting lean

Cameron_R

what the, seems to suggest that staying lean requires a lot of sacrifice lol. IIFYM, go gym hour a day 3-4 times a week, don't be a crack sugar addict and should be fine some people make too much of a big deal out of it.. of course competition lean is completely different but for the common man to float around 15% piece of piss no social sacrifice. 

Yeah, the infographic is cute, but jeez, that article goes on for miles! And really it's just a long-winded way of saying, "It's the law of diminishing returns".

I'm not nearly OCD or dedicated enough to ever get a six pack

Rubbish. Six packs are easy enough, or at least the beginnings of them. Just go for it - you might be surprised at what you achieve simply by tightening up the diet (on the days you can be bothered) and training with a little more intensity.

I think the article is reasonably accurate. I can maintain 15% while eating whatever I want so Maccas, icecream and fatty foods once or twice a day. Of course my diet is still a lot better than 99% of people that don't lift and being on anabolics obviously help as a lot of what i eat gets used to build muscle. But for me to get down to <10% and maintain it takes a lot of willpower and restrictions on my diet that aren't worth enduring just for daily life. Not to mention that you're probably not gonna grow by restricting your calories to stay under 10%

When should I cut? Considering im 17 and have bugger all gains.

This was always my dilemma. It comes down to what you want. For me im cutting now as once im finished not only will i be in a better position to bulk from ill also hopefully look lean for most of that bulk. Plus i was sick of force feeding myself after bulking for almost a year 

EDIT: down side is im not guna build any more muscle and cant expect any strength gains. 

• 4 weeks later...

Achieving 70%-80% of what I could potentially achieve is good enough for me. If one is really lean and wants to stay in the best form, life quality would be non-existent.

Agreed. Well, maybe 85%. Or 90%. It is pretty addictive!

EDIT: Actually, I'll probably just stick on 70%, and continually be unhappy that I'm not at 100%. Really I just want to have my cake and eat it too. (And also, still have a shredded six-pack...) :P

• 3 weeks later...