squat form issue

maccaz

Have made heaps of progress on squat form, have squatted more or less every 2nd day for the last 8 weeks

as it's getting heavier my forms breaking down a bit, chest is too low and looks like 95% squat 5% good morning which is definitely not ideal, and heaps of energy being used trying to keep upright

now iv figured out uploading videos il try do a few sets at various weights tomorrow and post it up

what can/should I work on to stop this getting any worse? or is it just inevitable as Im doing weights I'm not used to?

I was having some problems with this and found on the way down I wasnt opening up the hips enough. I pointed my toes out a tad more and pushed my knees outward on the way down which helped me drop down rather than pushing hips back. Also on the way up be sure your chest is out and rising at the same speed as hips. You see guys lead with hips which instantly puts you into a good morning. Post a vid though so everyone can see

Squat goodmornings are caused by a relative lack of strength in the quads. When the quads fail, the body transfers the load onto the stronger muscles which would be your glutes and lower back. Try to build up your quad strength by doing heavy front squats

sweet will do also, been neglecting front squats actually so will do them more

Are you wearing correct footwear, flat sole shoes or barefoot for squatting running shoes no good

This. I was squatting in spongy running shoes for ages... I figured that was ok since they were my normal gym shoes so they were convenient and comfy, and I wasn't really going hard out on squats, and surely my feet weren't THAT unstable in them anyway...

And then I recently went back to a shoe with a solid, flat sole. The difference is unbelievable. I instantly started squatting more weight with not much more effort, and knee pain that's been niggling for ages has pretty much disappeared.

Squat goodmornings are caused by a relative lack of strength in the quads. When the quads fail, the body transfers the load onto the stronger muscles which would be your glutes and lower back. Try to build up your quad strength by doing heavy front squats

I've always found front squats harder on my lower back than my quads? (Although I have to admit, I rarely do them, so that just be technique)

I have sorted this out.

issue was hand placement, elbows too far back, almost like i was pushing the bar forward which prob contributed to elbow/bicep pain.

moved the bar a tiny bit lower and concentrating on chest up and widened my grip a little bit and these combined pulled my elbows forward. squatted like that, felt way different, noticeably more effort for quads and easier on back.

lots of improvement still but found the main problem

• 8 months later...

Hard to say without seeing but I'd say more likely to be weak glutes than weak quads, when you do the old goodmorning squat, knee extension still occurs but the glutes are unable to hold the hip joint in the right amount of external rotation to supply adequate torque to the knee joint. I have a feeling this may over time be affecting your quad development! Make sure you you're engaging your glutes by spreading the floor, strengthening them will obviously help too.

oh realised this is old thread i made last year

once i stopped trying to be "upright" and moved to lower bar it became natural. form has had a few adjustments since back then, and heaps of work to do, but its getting better constantly

at the time i didnt know difference low bar/high bar etc and then wookie recommended i move the bar down a bit, and i think tom it was told me stop trying to be so upright and now it just clicks

No I think I told you to move the bar down as it was too high right up on your neck and it was collapsing you forward. From memory. I can't remember. With a really high bar squat staying upright is important just like it is with a ssb or a front squat. Don't think woulda told someone who had bar up high to not stay upright. I mentioned stance(narrow/wide), bar position(high bar/low bar) and hip extension(big sit back/small sit back). As I think these are 3 most important aspects to the squat. I think it was a good thread

No I think I told you to move the bar down as it was too high right up on your neck and it was collapsing you forward. From memory. I can't remember. With a really high bar squat staying upright is important just like it is with a ssb or a front squat. Don't think woulda told someone who had bar up high to not stay upright. I mentioned stance(narrow/wide), bar position(high bar/low bar) and hip extension(big sit back/small sit back). As I think these are 3 most important aspects to the squat. I think it was a good thread

yeah something like that, dunno was ages ago, had heaps of changes over time lol

seems like a lot of people have the goodmorning squat problem early on

Hard to say without seeing but I'd say more likely to be weak glutes than weak quads, when you do the old goodmorning squat, knee extension still occurs but the glutes are unable to hold the hip joint in the right amount of external rotation to supply adequate torque to the knee joint. I have a feeling this may over time be affecting your quad development! Make sure you you're engaging your glutes by spreading the floor, strengthening them will obviously help too.

Spreading the floor? you mean like say an imaginery line down centre of where your feet are placed?.