NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
danellaj

Supplements while Breastfeeding

So Im nearly the full way through my pregnancy and starting to think about how to snap back into shape after. Before pregnancy I liked to take a pre workout. Now I know these things arent safe while breastfeeding but what about if I pump and dump? How long will it be in my milk for after taking it? Anyone have any experience with this. I could do a really low dose cause ive been completly off caffiene since being pregnant. Im concerned with a new baby I wont have the energy to take advantage of the times I wil be able to work out and want to get into the gym smash it then get out. 

Congratulations danella, hope baby arrives safe and sound.

Best comment l can make is read the packaging, talk to your doctor or midwife, but mist of all listen to what the babe is telling you. If the babe is calm and settled then you are good to go, but if you start ecercising and the babe gets fussy then you need to back of a little.

Its not easy getting settled with a new babe but allow time to sort your options.

if you do decide to go that route, try find a very clean pre workout with all declared ingredients.. even better just sort something easy out yourself like caffiene capsules (the 100% caffiene anhydrous ones, not random mix). preworkouts always having these propirietary blends, some even busted for having dodgy, undeclared stuff that got people banned from competitions. doesn't necessarily mean its bad for you but if you dont know whats going in, not easy to tell how its going to affect the baby.

^ What FOTR says.

Of all the supplement categories, pre-workout stimulants are by far the most dodgy IMO. Even moreso than the testosterone boosting products (which are mostly just useless).

I just checked a sample sachet for Balance pre-workout that I had sitting in the cupboard. On the back it says, "Not suitable for lactating women" - and that's from one of the more reputable brands. There's every likelyhood it would be just fine, but why risk it when it explicitly says not to?

If you've been caffeine-free, you'll probably find that a cup of coffee is all you need anyway.

good as gold. I'll give a cup of black coffee a go before workouts. I think more than anything im just stressing about getting my old body back which right now seems impossible :)

Not impossible at all. The most important thing is to enjoy the babe, the body will come back.

The thing is life with a babe is unpredictable and the ability to go with the flow is essential. The thing is get a routine established that suits the babe and you and all things are possible.

Male sure babe is happy, you get time for your excercise, do not worry too much about a spick and span house and things will settle into place.

I personally would stay away from anything not natural. Even if you pumped and dumped it would be hard to gague how long the supps would stay in your system for. 

Don’t stress if you don’t ‘snap back’ to pre-pregnancy weight.  It depends on your body and your baby. For some woman the weight falls off but a lot of woman find it hard to lose weight until they stop breastfeeding and their hormones regulate again. Establish a good milk supply before trying to train too hard and cut calories.  You want full fat dark blue top milk not trim green top milk.

As Rebel said, enjoy baby, make sure baby is happy, they are small for such a short time and they depend soley on you.

In saying that, I dragged my babies around the gym with me. Ok, not literally but I could get a workout in while they slept in the pram / portacot. And when they got bigger they would manage sitting in the pram for a while as long as they had a constant supply of food.

Congratulations and good luck.