Hi All

MAG

Hi all,

New member here. I lift in my home garage and have a couple of years' training behind me. Working my way up to a level where I reckon I could enter a novice PL competition and not embarrass myself (whatever that level is), while also trying to maintain enough conditioning to run around a basketball court.

I joined this site to increase my awareness of what's going on in the local lifting scene, to gain inspiration from some of the strong mofos on this forum, and to learn a thing or two about what works well for different people. I spend a bit of time reading about diet and injuries, so perhaps I could offer some insight to other members.

hey man, welcome. similar goals as you here - img onna start some serious strength training now get sttong like the other mofos here (i like that, its the best way to describe them tbh) while also working on some basketball conditioning. start up a log and keep us up to date with how your journey going :)

Have you been to watch any PL comps yet?

No, not yet. That's definitely on my list of things to do before signing up for one, though. I figure I would be way out of my comfort zone if I didn't first familiarize myself with the scene. I have heard they are very supportive, so that's encouraging!

One thing I've found difficult is to gauge just where I need to be in my big three lifts to have a shot at winning a novice competition. I've had a look at some previous results in my region, and some years I would have won by a long shot, and others I would have been lifting the top guy's warmups. I've tried to do my own research on this, but I've found so many conflicting numbers that any insight you could give would be appreciated.

Start up a log and keep us up to date with how your journey going Smile

My log would be pretty boring at the moment - just working my way through Madcow for the third time. Going onto 5/3/1 after this, so I might start one up then.

Even my numbers wouldn't make for very impressive reading - I basically had to start over again late last year after a torn L5 disc put me out for six months (hence the third run of Madcow). I was told by my physio that I wouldn't be able to squat or deadlift again, so my progress is slow but steady.

Do you find basketball games & conditioning get in the way of your strength training at all?

I figure I would be way out of my comfort zone if I didn't first familiarize myself with the scene.

Not at all - they're generally pretty laid-back affairs. Some people will be sitting in the seats provided, but there are always plenty hanging back leaning on the walls. Just come and go as you feel like it.

One thing I've found difficult is to gauge just where I need to be in my big three lifts to have a shot at winning a novice competition. I've had a look at some previous results in my region, and some years I would have won by a long shot, and others I would have been lifting the top guy's warmups.

Others will be able to give you a better idea of this one, but I think it's really just a matter of who turns up on the day. But you've got to be in to win.

Start up a log and keep us up to date with how your journey going Smile

My log would be pretty boring at the moment - just working my way through Madcow for the third time. Going onto 5/3/1 after this, so I might start one up then.

Even my numbers wouldn't make for very impressive reading - I basically had to start over again late last year after a torn L5 disc put me out for six months (hence the third run of Madcow). I was told by my physio that I wouldn't be able to squat or deadlift again, so my progress is slow but steady.

Do you find basketball games & conditioning get in the way of your strength training at all?

Only just started basketball recently but when I went hardout with soccer before I did find it interfered with gym training a little. The best way to go about it is to make sure you get plenty of good sleep and eat way more than you would if you just done one or the other (lifting or sport). Don't worry about the numbers aye check my log it's the most useless lifts in this forum lol but i guess I find it beneficial to log atleast if only for myself. Helps track progress and making it public you can get good advice from people who really know what they doing here