Training for size between competitions......

Rebel101

Another 2 weeks has progressed now 12 weeks out from competition, things ticking nicely along.

This year I am using more cardio than last, and probably harder on diet too.

Just recently Gymrat decided to get a trainer in Dunedin so that has provided me with relief from the task of assisting in that area.

Will update in another fortnight.

You get sick of his shit?

Just recently Gymrat decided to get a trainer in Dunedin so that has provided me with relief

You could probably have stopped the sentence there, eh? :wink:

Seriously though - good on you for helping him as long as you did. Hopefully he'll retain some of what you taught him and keep using it.

Another 2 weeks has progressed now 12 weeks out from competition, things ticking nicely along.

Just recently Gymrat decided to get a trainer in Dunedin so that has provided me with relief from the task of assisting in that area.

Yes, but to be fair I knew what to expect, and I took it on.

You know Hugh I will step up to the plate and take responsibility for what I start.

Just recently Gymrat decided to get a trainer in Dunedin so that has provided me with relief

You could probably have stopped the sentence there, eh? ;-)

Seriously though - good on you for helping him as long as you did. Hopefully he'll retain some of what you taught him and keep using it.

Well at least I made an effort and I know that most of the guys here have all done likewise at times with Gymrat.

I do not begrudge him at all but suspect that in the long run I will have made little if any impact on his training. Haha not for the want of trying though.

Yes, but to be fair I knew what to expect, and I took it on.

You know Hugh I will step up to the plate and take responsibility for what I start.

Gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em. Should have folded at start though lol

Along with a sound nutritional plan cardio fits in as a must in most females pre contest preparation. When it comes to cardio however this can enhance prep or it can waste prep depending on so many factors.

Quantity is definitely an issue!

Quality is another issue!

Individual application is another issue again!

Personally I rank quality (based on long low intensity) as below:

- Treadmill

- Cycle

- Stepper

- Rower

- Crosstrainer

Yes I know this is rather simplistic but it is a start, other considerations I make when I chose which cardio to do include:

- what is the form of the movement ie the stepper is vertical and acts substantially on my quads

- how easy is it to change to HITT ie easy to add in interval training of treadmill and cycle

- how does it fit within time schedules and comitments

- is this going to create a change in excercise dynamics ie has my body adjusted to one form and needs a completely different movement to provide a shock and change ie when cross trainer has been used consistently for a number of weeks is it time to change to rower.

Anyway I have formulated a plan this year that should create both changes in intensity and form so that I never get sick of cardio and there is a degree of logic.

I have started with:

Monday AM 60 min treadmill PM 20 min stepper

Tuesday AM 60 min treadmill PM 20 min crosstrainer

Wednesday PM 20 min stepper

Thursday AM 60 min treadmill PM 20 min crosstrainer

Friday AM 60 min treadmill

Saturday AM 60 min (30 crosstrainer/20 stepper/20 treadmill)

Sunday Off

The AM treadmill is walking the dog really hardly cardio but enough to warm the body up and prepare it for more intensity if needed, the stepper because of the effect of the quad definition, the crosstrainer because it gives variety helping prevent RSI, and long on Saturday because I have Sunday off so have additional time for recovery.

Now my plan is that if I get to a stall in weight or ketosis that I will change 20 mins of treadmill to 20 stepper in the am, and replace the PM stepper with cycle using HITT interval training.

IF I stall again then I will change the evening PM cardio to 30 mins

IF i stall again I will change 20 min or treadmill in AM to 20 min or rowing.

All these steps are simple little changes but subtle but easily assessed and reevaluated providing I keep diet consistent.

Hahahahaha but watch out, this is all very well but will the plan work only time will tell, but at least I have a plan well thought out and hopefully delivered. So much of the time this is all about having a plan and sticking to it, but still having the ability to wisely modify, no hard and fast absolutes as nothing is guaranteed.

how is a stepper going to give you quad definition, you can't spot reduce fat. is stepper even really that efficient on lighter individuals?

shouldn't your cardio plan take into account what muscles you are training on that day and work around that? eg. doing back that day? propbably don't want to follow it up with rower, doing deads or squats? probably don't want to be doing cardio involving standing up as the movement will not be as efficient as it otherwise could be.

what makes you think you have to shock yourself, is muscle confusion coming back? cross training is a good idea so you can keep getting the cardio working around joint issues or muscle fatigue (eg. to combat shin splits when going hard on running you mix up with cycling or swimming). keep it simple, do your work based on heart rates and throw in some high intensity work might be more useful than playing musical chairs in the cardio booth

Firstly as I said it is just a plan that I am working to nothing about it being perfect, always room for improvement!

Answering questions to the best of my knowledge (Alymers responses are always better than mine)

How is a stepper going to give you quad definition, you can't spot reduce fat. Is stepper even really that efficient on lighter individuals?

No you cannot spot reduce fat but when utilising those muscle groups more directly and constantly in different ways will define the muscle group in question.

You would need to define lighter individuals and efficiency, that surely is all relative to the individual. Increasing weight/resistance/rom on stepper all alters intensity.

Shouldn't your cardio plan take into account what muscles you are training on that day and work around that?

As we have agreed you cannot spot reduce so there is no need to worry about overworking a specific muscle group so long as you can handle the workload why not do it.

What makes you think you have to shock yourself

By shocking the body I was simply referring to a change of movement being different to others already performed. If say I added in boxing to my repertoire it would require a totally different set of movement combinations that I had never done before and this would certainly shock me.

I would only do this if I had stagnated and was not progressing.

Throw in some high intensity work might be more useful

That is another of the ploys I use when doing cardio (sorry I forgot to put that in, say on the cycle I would throw in 2 mins HITT followed by 3 mins recovery) and yes I do this if and when required.

Another week to work through and look forward to looking better in the gym.

Sunday

AM

Abdominals

- abd machine 5 sets 12 reps heavy

- horizontal weighted leg raises 4 sets 8.5k 12 reps

- vertical leg raises 4 sets 18 reps

Monday

AM

Cardio 60 min treadmill

PM

Chest

- bench bb press 5 sets 40k, 60k, 60k, 60k, 50k 12 reps

- incline bb press 4 sets 40k *4 11 reps

- pec dec 4 sets 90k 16 reps

- incline flys 4 sets 10k, 10k, 12k, 12k 12 reps

- cable cross overs 4 sets 28k aside 16 reps

Cardio 35 min stepper

Tough day on diet really wanted more to eat all day, started with having one meal early, not good when it is like that as it wears away at determination levels. However I survived.

Technically it is the end of 3 weeks diet and I have dropped 7.3k of course some of that is fluid but alot is not, I am satisfied with that. Given that things are moving along acceptably it is not necessary to adjust the cardio at the moment, best save that for when I really do need the extra assistance. Yes, I know I complain about stalls in the weight loss but realistically these periods only last about 3 days and are followed by a decent drop.

Back training has been interesting one week we go heavy and for depth the next its shape and definition.

Training for Tuesday:

AM

Cardio 60 min treadmill

PM

Back

- Machine close grip pulldown 4 sets 16 reps

- Cable wide grip pulldown 4 sets 14 reps

- Cable wide grip row 4 sets 15 reps

- T bar row 4 sets 12 reps

- Machine pullovers 4 sets 14 reps

Cardio 20 min crosstrainer

Interesting, I do not think that I need to completely drive this process and completely trust my trainer, he has huge amounts of experience so good to follow for a change and not lead.

I seem this year to be driving the diet and cardio, and leave the other more complex stuff to him, all I need to do is ensure I get my basics done well.

ffs rebel you make competing etc sound so horrible lol.

Monday AM 60 min treadmill PM 20 min stepper
Tuesday AM 60 min treadmill PM 20 min crosstrainer
Wednesday PM 20 min stepper
Thursday AM 60 min treadmill PM 20 min crosstrainer
Friday AM 60 min treadmill
Saturday AM 60 min (30 crosstrainer/20 stepper/20 treadmill)
Sunday Off

for what

Just being real, thats what it takes for a female, do you want me to sugar coat it for the social media? Hehehehe

And they try and say that bodybuilders are not athletes!

is there any point where you think it may not be worth it? like prep:life balance must get pretty shitty etc do you have a family? they would need to be pretty supportive i guess. also guess its not year round so allg. fascinating anyway lol

Just being real, thats what it takes for a female, do you want me to sugar coat it for the social media? Hehehehe

is there any point where you think it may not be worth it? like prep:life balance must get pretty shitty etc do you have a family? they would need to be pretty supportive i guess. also guess its not year round so allg. fascinating anyway lol

Intredasting is how I would describe it.

Getting lean enough to compete seems pointless to me unless you had an amazing physique. Dont get what the point is of a person getting super lean and putting fake tan on when they have a shit physique with f*ck all muscle or shit muscle shape

I enjoy the process, with my work workload often I get little time for myself so time to do cardio for example is head space for me, and the training is satisfying.

My family is grown up, so they are independant now, and husband particpate in other sports so I have a life of my own! And its not doing me any harm!