Mark Hunt - Title shot vs Fabricio Werdum

nate225

Stoked.

Anyone who has watched Hunt knows he's capable of beating anyone in the division with his striking.

He flew off to Mexico City today. 

THe tough thing is that MC is at 2250m altitude, a full 600m higher than Denver where Mark fought before. That's going to make things seriously tough on 3 weeks notice.

Realistically:

Werdum has 2 ways to win- via submission or decision.

Mark has 1, though potentially 2 ways to win- by KO or decision. 

The key to beating Werdum by decision is going to be takedown defence and cardio. Also, as Cain showed in his 2nd fight with Dos Santos, rocking him with a big punch early on is another way. Mark has shown he has a 5 round gas tank now, the question will be if he can stay off the ground. Werdum subbed Fedor and Big Nog, and has arguably the best submission game in the heavyweight division.

I still think that Mark's takedown defence has improved to the point that he should be able to keep the fight standing. Working with a world class wrestler in the last 2 camps has paid huge dividends.

Werdum has shown he can be knocked out, Dos Santos destroyed him a few years ago. Mark has the ablity to do the same. With that said, Werdum beat Travis Browne in a 5 round unanimous decision last fight, so has shown the ability to beat top strikers.

Cain was always going to maul Werdum over 5 rounds. This fight is actually alot more exciting.

I'm picking Hunt for a 2nd round KO.

It's not going to be easy for Mark Hunt, but what a opportunity.

Not ideal preparation being told he gets a crack at the interim title 3 weeks prior to the fight.

I can't see it lasting the full 5 rounds.

I think Werdum will play a ground game and eventually submit him. But with a punch like Hunt has got he only needs to connect so who knows.

Go the Super Samoan (but we'll claim him as a Kiwi).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The longer that fight went on the more I had faith in Hunt to pull it off. Werdum is on another level and the Super Samoan showed how well his stand up game was. Even got out of a locked in triangle too, showed great heart!

Knocked Werdum down 2 maybe 3 times? and he got back up each time. One of those hits would have killed me 10x over. I would like to see how Werdum stands up against the current title holder Cain Valesquez however. 

Cain is (I think) on another level again from Werdum so would be a good fight. Just not sure when he is back in from injury, if anyone else does?

M.T wrote:

The longer that fight went on the more I had faith in Hunt to pull it off. Werdum is on another level and the Super Samoan showed how well his stand up game was. Even got out of a locked in triangle too, showed great heart!

Knocked Werdum down 2 maybe 3 times? and he got back up each time. One of those hits would have killed me 10x over. I would like to see how Werdum stands up against the current title holder Cain Valesquez however. 

Cain is (I think) on another level again from Werdum so would be a good fight. Just not sure when he is back in from injury, if anyone else does?

M.T wrote:

If i remember correctly he has until early next year to get fit otherwise he has to hand the belt and heavyweight title over to Werdum.