Glassons ditches skinny mannequins

Pseudonym

Ladies, have you been following this story? What do you think of it?

View image on Twitter

Basically, a woman complained that a bikini-modelling Glassons mannequin was too skinny because it had visible ribs. She was worried that her impressionable young children might think this was normal.

Fashion designer Denise L'Estrange-Corbet (who is not exactly a rake-thin waif herself) has defended Glassons, saying "Clothes look better on skinny people".

Glassons initially stuck up for themselves, but has now done a huge U-turn, offering a grovelling mea culpa - apologising profusely to the entire female population of New Zealand.

You can probably guess which side I'm on, but I'm curious to know what the ladies think. Is it unreasonable to show a lean bikini model?

Did Glassons just employ David Cunnliffe to be their new CEO? Lol

What a joke.  Are people really getting offended by these mannequins?  Get some real problems.  Try raising 3 kids of $5 a week in a rundown house like that other poor guy in the news this week.  That's real problems.

It's okay to have mannequins of guys with abs but girls with low body fat GTFO

When does this whole body image bullshit go too far? At what point is it going to be socially unacceptable for ladies to be lean? Are we heading towards a societal norm in which being lean is frowned upon as opposed to providing a source of aspiration and motivation for people?

It is kinda a refreshing change from the whole "objectifying women" thing but not much of one

Typical of the Femme Nazis!

Who gives a flying Rats arse about some fucked up plastic bitch maniquin with ribs showing?? Have these cunts got nothing else to whinge about?? you dont see the Fat cunts or Joe average go on tv complaining about male maniquins with abs and biceps and how its sending the wrong message to males?? FFS! If its not one thing its another 

I do not know what a girl can say given all the posts by the guys seem to appreciate the twiggy look!

I wouldnt say that at all. In fact id say more guys prefer a women with more curves in the right places.  It pretty much comes down to hip to waist ratio.  A size 8, 10, 12 and 14 gal can all be equally as sexy . It just comes down to the right proportions.  

I remember having convo with some ppl at school over this. We came to the conclusion that who gives a fk. Idk some people now are complaining that it's fair bc their naturally skinny and cant help it, so they say that girls w/ curves offends them, so they should be allowed to have skinny manequins to represent their naturally skinny body image. World these days...

Smaller girl good coz can chuck her round in sex and everyday scenarios etc with minimal effort and energy expenditure. Atm im 106kg, current gf is 45kg so 2.35:1 bw ratio which IMO is good. I make her excercise and tell her shes getting fat to encourage her to not overeat. I find larger girls e.g 55-65kg can be attractive if they have right proportions however they cost more in terms of food and fuel expenses and tend to waste more of my time looking for clothes that they look good in.

Smaller girl good coz can chuck her round in sex and everyday scenarios etc with minimal effort and energy expenditure. Atm im 106kg, current gf is 45kg so 2.35:1 bw ratio which IMO is good. I make her excercise and tell her shes getting fat to encourage her to not overeat. I find larger girls e.g 55-65kg can be attractive if they have right proportions however they cost more in terms of food and fuel expenses and tend to waste more of my time looking for clothes that they look good in.

Fucken aint that the truth LMFAO!!

Somebody had to tell the truth.. but 45kg wtf? must be short or super skinny lol

I do not know what a girl can say given all the posts by the guys seem to appreciate the twiggy look!

Haha! Yeah, I was hoping the girls would reply before the guys got in. :D

Do you reckon she's twiggy? I thought for a mainstream physique, she actually looked quite athletic. A little round-shouldered perhaps, but there's muscle tone in her arm and delt.

Personally, what annoys me is the assertion that visible ribs = eating disorder. For a start, her ribs aren't showing THAT much. And neither guys nor girls preferentially store fat on their ribs (girls tend to be hips/thighs/upper arms, guys tend to be beer gut/lower back). So by the time anyone gets fat on their ribs, they're probably already pretty tubby everywhere else. Hardly an eating disorder!

Stupid mannequins are not going to set the standards anyway its what prople see everyday that determine what is socially acceptable.

For example in the Chinese culture a round face look is more common and the body fat level that is associated with that look is acceptable and normal.

It is only our excesively body concious society that advertises a lean look that encourages people to focus on skinny even though that is not necessarily healthy.

Haha! Yeah, I was hoping the girls would reply before the guys got in. Biggrin

Do you reckon she's twiggy? I thought for a mainstream physique, she actually looked quite athletic. A little round-shouldered perhaps, but there's muscle tone in her arm and delt.

Personally, what annoys me is the assertion that visible ribs = eating disorder. For a start, her ribs aren't showing THAT much. And neither guys nor girls preferentially store fat on their ribs (girls tend to be hips/thighs/upper arms, guys tend to be beer gut/lower back). So by the time anyone gets fat on their ribs, they're probably already pretty tubby everywhere else. Hardly an eating disorder!

I think you might be spending too much time in the gym (not a bad thing), because I don't see any girls/women who are that lean in my daily life, even at my gym.

I am not saying anything about an eating disorder, I'm just saying it's not a realistic body, so I don't understandy why any shop would want to use it - I reckon it would just make their customers feel bad about themselves, not inspire them to buy clothing.

Haha! Yeah, I was hoping the girls would reply before the guys got in. Biggrin

I think you might be spending too much time in the gym (not a bad thing), because I don't see any girls/women who are that lean in my daily life, even at my gym.

I am not saying anything about an eating disorder, I'm just saying it's not a realistic body, so I don't understandy why any shop would want to use it - I reckon it would just make their customers feel bad about themselves, not inspire them to buy clothing.

And that is the reality of it, in real life there are few females who are that lean certainly they are in the minority so shops are either marketing to a minority and / or setting unrealistic images for the majority of their customers.

Personally I want to live strong, I want to be able to ski top to bottom of Mt Ruapehu without stopping, I want to go scuba diving with ease, I want to go hiking and enjoy life in general without struggling in physical activities. Most females who focus on the fashionably popular thin lean look are not physically strong enough to participate in most moderate intensity activity and come out looking good, I would!

Shops focus on selling product and impulse buying is a females domain, if they see something looking good (even if it is on a lean mannequin) they will buy it even if they are not so lean themselves. Their fall back is "I will lose some weight and be able to wear it", it's on their wish list.

Again, personally, at the moment I can buy anything I see looking good on a mannequin and it will look good on me, simply because I am also lean at moment. This is one of the benefits of competition diets.