Treatment & Prevention of Back cramps/spasms

Cameron_R

This has happened to me several times last year, and has just re-occured after this weekend. The only common theme is lifting/moving heavy dive gear (stuff like this) around into and out of awkward palces like cars and boats. The spasms don't happen when moving the kit around, they happen some time after, while sitting around, or in this latest case, while sleeping on Sunday night, then again inbetween sets of lateral raises at the gym on a Wednesday.

They happen suddenly - It feel like someone has smashed me in the back with a 2x4 and then it's hard to move. I can strech it out a little, but it's fucking painful for several days and then kinda dissapears suddenly. It feels like it's my right side Erector but fucked if I know for sure. When my gf digs into my back to massage it, I can feel it in my hips and my neck!

I'm treating it by self massage, the gf massages it for me, and I'm popping ibuprofen like candy.

I'd love some advice on other treatments, cos it's fucking shit feeling like a cripple, and any comments on how to prevent it because I don't even know why it's happening.

TIA

Go to physio and see if they will refer to go get xrays etc to check out if there's anything underlying e.g. disc/nerves.

The physio might even be able to rule that out with examination. but If not then heaps of stretching/mobility/flexibility on your part, and acupuncutre/massage/osteo/chiro - just whatever you find helps :) 

Don't those tanks come with trolleys?! :D

I've had similar issues, but it's always been a gradual onset - usually triggered by lifting something heavy, followed by a long period of slouching with bad posture (eg, in a car). The fact that yours comes on suddenly like a cramp has me a bit puzzled.

I know I'm recommending this to everyone for everything at the moment - but maybe try that Cirque du Soleil back/core workout. Building up your core strength can only be a good thing if you're lugging heavy shit around, and it might just be the preventative maintenance you need.

Sounds like a facet lock (if you go from slouched to straight position [coiming out of a bent forward position to straight - ish] during the sudden onset / when you notice it) or muscular strain (some of the lumbar erectors known to refer pain up into neck or down into hips / top of the buttocks). I don't think (from the limited info you provided) that it involves disk / nerve issues. Go and see a good practitioner (physio or osteo). I think it should be fairly easy to resolve (again just by the limited information provided), no need to live with this. 

Sounds like a facet lock (if you go from slouched to straight position [coiming out of a bent forward position to straight - ish] during the sudden onset / when you notice it) or muscular strain (some of the lumbar erectors known to refer pain up into neck or down into hips / top of the buttocks). I don't think (from the limited info you provided) that it involves disk / nerve issues. Go and see a good practitioner (physio or osteo). I think it should be fairly easy to resolve (again just by the limited information provided), no need to live with this. 

da man!