Training with Cirque du Soleil

Pseudonym

Bro where you get your grey nike track pants? 

I been looking for some with ankle sleeve but can only find the loose ankle ones.

Nike store, in Britomart. I had a "oh crap, what do I wear?" moment on the morning of the interview, so raced out and bought these. Although if I'd known how hot it would be in the tent, I'd have just worn shorts and saved myself Nike's exorbitant retail prices (not to mention the whole "ankles up or down?" dilemma).

These were very cool Pseu! I wonder if Powerhouse can get one of those mats you used in part 2.

They were surprisingly effective - hammies and lunges in particular. But as my camera op said, you could just do them in the kitchen with a dusting cloth, and you'd polish the floor at the same time. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Cirque's moved on to Aussie now. But yeah, I'm looking at doing more of this sort of thing. What kind of stuff would you like to see?

interivews/look into the training of for example, boxers, mma fighters, powerlifters, rugby players, just any kind of athlete in a sport that requires strength training. NZ is small enough that most high level athletes are accessible enough to interview

• 3 months later...

So after posting these videos, I've had a number of people contact me, asking where they could find the full programme that Guilhem Cauchois was doing for back and core strength. One of them tracked it down and shared it with me - so a huge thanks to Michael Perkola for the detective work. And an even bigger thanks to Dr Robert Watkins of Watkins Spine, the surgeon who developed the programme, for allowing me to share it with all of you.

Enjoy!

Trunk Stability Program.pdf

Dr Watkins' programme is aimed at physios, and is quite comprehensive, so if you're finding it heavy going, you might find this helpful...

Here's the routine Guilhem demonstrated in his video - it's based on Level 3 of Dr Watkins' programme.

Dead bug - 3½ mins each side

Superman - opposite leg/arm, 15 sec holds for 3 mins

Superman - same side leg/arm, 15 sec holds for 3 mins

Bridging - straight leg lift, 15 sec holds for 2 mins

Bridging - leg lift to side, 15 sec holds for 2 mins

Bridging - leg circles for 2 mins

Planks - 20 claps with partner

Walk your hands up to a pike position, then back down

Pushups - 20

Knee to elbow - 5 each side

Halfway pushups - 20

20 handstand pushups (not sure where this came from - I regard it as optional!)

Balance on foam roller - 2 mins

Weighted crunches, full range of motion - 30 reps straight, 30 left, 30 right

Weighted crunches, short range of motion - 30 reps straight, 30 left, 30 right

Dr Watkins' programme is aimed at physios, and is quite comprehensive, so if you're finding it heavy going, you might find this helpful...

Here's the routine Guilhem demonstrated in his video - it's based on Level 3 of Dr Watkins' programme.

Dead bug - 3½ mins each side

Superman - opposite leg/arm, 15 sec holds for 3 mins

Superman - same side leg/arm, 15 sec holds for 3 mins

Bridging - straight leg lift, 15 sec holds for 2 mins

Bridging - leg lift to side, 15 sec holds for 2 mins

Bridging - leg circles for 2 mins

Pushups - 20

Halfway pushups - 20

20 handstand pushups (not sure where this came from - I regard it as optional!)

Balance on foam roller - 2 mins

Weighted crunches, full range of motion - 30 reps straight, 30 left, 30 right

Weighted crunches, short range of motion - 30 reps straight, 30 left, 30 right

:notworthy:

• 1 month later...

Absolutely blown away by the performance. Not sure how some of the things they did were even possible!

The girl in pink in the beach scene would pretty much wipe the floor with 99% of figure competitors...I just couldn't find the right time to ask her to marry me LOL

All round display of athleticism.

Did you spot the guy wearing an Inzer quick release powerlifting belt Tom LOL

saw this show in melbourne last night

that girl is so mean

also yeah saw the guy in belt, makes sense consider what he was doing!

I saw Zumanity in Las Vegas about 5 years ago. The show was all about kinky sex, I think. It was spectacular and I enjoyed every minute of it. They had aerobatics, two ladies swimming in a water bowl, two fat kinky ladies, and many other cool things. They made it interactive and very entertaining. I really would like to see Totem, one day, hopefully.

I found a little clip on the water bowl act:

• 1 month later...

Did this abs routine on Sunday morning. No weight used on ankles or wrists, just body weight. It felt kinda easy at the time, but I'm feeling a burning type soreness now, two days later. The burning is deep in the core, not on the external abs like I usually hit when doing abs.

So it definitely worked me in significantly different ways to a normal ab day. I like it!

I think I'll have to try this again.

• 3 years later...

Okay guys - it's been a while, but we've got another Cirque du Soleil video for you. This time it's with KOOZA, who are currently playing in Auckland (and they've just extended the season to March 23). I saw the show, and like every Cirque show, it's packed full of great acts, great costumes, and great music. Expect to see some amazing feats of fitness, agility and flexibility from the artists.

Again, we've split this into two videos. In this first one, I'm talking to Straps aerialist Haley Viloria, who demonstrates some of her stretching and mobility work. Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2019 at 10:03 AM, Pseudonym said:

Okay guys - it's been a while, but we've got another Cirque du Soleil video for you. This time it's with KOOZA, who are currently playing in Auckland (and they've just extended the season to March 23). I saw the show, and like every Cirque show, it's packed full of great acts, great costumes, and great music. Expect to see some amazing feats of fitness, agility and flexibility from the artists.

Again, we've split this into two videos. In this first one, I'm talking to Straps aerialist Haley Viloria, who demonstrates some of her stretching and mobility work. Enjoy!

Nicely put together Andrew. 

But did you get her number ?