NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
smm

How to get started in bodysculpting?

Hi,

A friend and I are both interested in getting into bodysculpting but we aren't sure how to even start.

We both started at the same gym and talked about taking it that extra step. We (at this stage) aren't looking

at competitions. Any suggestions? We live in Whanganui :)

Hi,

A friend and I are both interested in getting into bodysculpting but we aren't sure how to even start.

We both started at the same gym and talked about taking it that extra step. We (at this stage) aren't looking

at competitions. Any suggestions? We live in Whanganui Smile

Perhaps talk to one of the trainers at your gym who dose body sculpting  that would be a good start.

You will want to have a good training program and solid diet. Most PTs at gyms wont be much use. Best to do your own research so you understand the basics then consider paying a knowlegable trainer to write you up a training and diet program OR just use a trial and error approach while researching stuff yourselves.

Google body sculpting and you will find lots of good helpful websites like bodybuilding.com etc

Or even this one, perhaps. :D

Welcome, SMM. When you say, "taking it that extra step", but not competing... what do you mean? Do you just mean getting into the weights room?

We've got a Beginner's Guide to Bodybuilding set of articles which might help you get started. The rules are exactly the same for bodysculpting.

Stick around, and ask heaps of questions. :)

Thanks....we have made some contacts with a couple of people and done alot

of reading from websites but we sort of feel like some of it contradicts the other info that we read.

We are feeling confused.

We asked at the gym. .... No one has trained anyone like that before but our trainer will

do some research.

Competition... The first person we contacted gave us ideas of costs to see someone and that we

would have to think about shoes and bikinis. .....we were like 'huh'....ummmm no thanks.

We are about impatient and want to get into it.

You guys are really welcoming Thank you :)

There is a gym in Whanganui that had a few females competing at the Manawatu nabba show. I cant think of the name but it was the one selling the tickets to the show and the lady at the counter competed to. Ill try find out the name today.

When it comes to bikinis there are lots of good places to order from like bodybuilding bikinis in Christchurch ,flexi wear not to sure of the cost for them and Ali Gascogne in Auckland plus it is a fun and exciting journey getting to the stage.

Thanks....we have made some contacts with a couple of people and done alot

of reading from websites but we sort of feel like some of it contradicts the other info that we read.

We are feeling confused.

We asked at the gym. .... No one has trained anyone like that before but our trainer will

do some research.

Competition... The first person we contacted gave us ideas of costs to see someone and that we

would have to think about shoes and bikinis. .....we were like 'huh'....ummmm no thanks.

We are about impatient and want to get into it.

You guys are really welcoming Thank you Smile

You do have to be careful as there are a lot of people who will give conflicting information so you need to sort out one you get along with, can trust, and has a good history of getting results.

One way of helping get yourselves focused is to attend a show and figure out which category you should be competing in, this will help give you direction and focus.

Then set yourselves a plan with a time frame so you have a sense of purpose.

Hope these comments help a little, ultimately you are in control of the journey so it's what you want .

How to get started?  Get a program, get into the weights room and go there regularly and consistently.

A good program will have progression - not just the same weight/rep range week in & week out.

Quit junk food and takeaways.  Aim to have a protein component in every meal.  Good sources of protein are eggs, meat, fish, chicken, cottage cheese.

Probably not much more to it at this point in your game.

The reason why there is so much conflicting information is that there are many methods that people use to compete. There is no "right way" as this kind of thing doesn't have much widely accepted science behind it. Even though the competetors look fit, competing can be extreme and can have negative health implications. So don't make the decision lightly, do your research and make sure you trust the person who is giving you advice. 

As Flamer says, the best way is to gain experience by conistently weight training and looking at your diet - learn about macronutrients and calories. 

Sounds like we are on pretty much the right track so far. We have changed our diets, protein every meal in some form or other, clean eating basically with the protein. We have a program that was written up by the gym trainer so we figured we would stick with it for 4-6weeks and see if we are getting any results, if not we can see about changing it.

Thanks everyone :)

Update:

We have set a goal 12mths...and against our original idea the goal is to get on stage in Wellington October 15....scary but motivating at the same time.

We are lucky to have two trainers helping and supporting us and some great friends encouraging us.

The changes in our bodies have started, slowly but we are making progress. Definitely learning about ourselves, bodies and what we are capable of.

:)

Hi again, I thought I would update my original post. 

I got to the stage,  competed at Hawkes Bay this year & competing is definitely an experience.  Came off disappointed because I knew I could have posed harder/better but being up there was different to practising amongst people you know. But anyway I want to have another go...

However a number of things have changed since my mate and I started and since the comp:

* I don't have a training partner, my mate needed to spend time with her family instead of at the gym

* I've been sick,  pancreasitis and in hospital.  Docs say NO supps!

* and even worst, my trainer has moved away....

I feel like I'm back to square one but I'm still weight training, going to gym once a day 4-5 times a week and 1-2 high intensity classes pw.

The last year and a bit has been a roller coaster ride!

If anyone has any info on prepping without supps I would appreciate any help with that. 

Hope everyone is fit and healthy :)

Well done on getting to the stage. That's an achievement in itself, because many don't make it that far.

You certainly don't need supplements to compete. Products like whey can make life easier, but ultimately having or not having supplements for your prep is unlikely to make a huge difference to the end result. In the end that just comes down to being consistent with diet and training, and pushing long enough and hard enough (but not too hard).

Having said that... Why has your doctor said no supps? What's the problem?

The reason I ask is because competing does put extra stress on your body (especially once you get to the pointy end). So if you're not fully recovered yet, I'd just focus on getting better for now, and maintaining a figure that puts you in a good place to start from when you DO start prepping.

Thank you, 

There are no clear indicators for the attacks of pancreasitis and that's the problem. I have had tests for Africa but I don't fit into the normal reasons why someone would develop it. No supps because they won't know what could be putting the pressure on,  if it's them.  At the moment the doc is trying to cross off what it isn't, with the tests. 

Since I was sick (September ) everything flew out the window with training and nutrition, I wasn't able to train and I ate what I could that didn't cause trouble.  My bf and weight are not where I would like them to be but they aren't where they were when I started and I won't allow that to happen as I have worked bloody hard for a year. 

When I started with my trainer,  I started on fat burners, carnitine,  bcaa, glutamine, protein & vitamin c, magnesium, iron, multi vitamins and liver aid.  A week out, the water tabs started. 

I'm not sure what type of workouts I should be doing at the moment,  so I'm doing a large and small muscle group (back/bi). The weights are heavy enough to have me working, my sessions are around 45-60 mins. 

:)