Umbillical Hernia

justhell

Hey guys/ladies,

I have one of these and im booked in to see the doctor today.

Just wounded if i say i felt the tear happen about one year ago,doing a heavy squat,

Is this covered by ACC?

Is there anything else i should say to get things moving quicker?

Thanks in advance peeps.

Its looking pretty ugly.

If you say it happened doing heavy squats even if it was a year ago it should be covered. They'll ask you for an approx date and stuff. But I'm not sure if with the specifc injury if it happened a long time ago they follow different treatment options etc.... 

Im not sure about that, I think it needs to be within the last 5 days.... 

My dad had the same issue and didn't report it soon enough and had to go though the courts of fight for coverage. The surgey isn't cheap! 

Hey Skeletor thanks man,the doctor said they put a piece of mesh in behind the belly botton to stop it from pushing out,hope it doesn't show when i get lean.haha

Will be all good if coverrd by acc.

Cheers gym rat,im looking forward to the operation,

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.gymnation.co.nz/forum/injury-rehab/umbilical-hernia-how-long-heal-if-possible

My ACC claim wasn't accepted because they said it occured over time and not from one specific event. I thought I filled out the questionnaire in a way that would prove it occured during the lifting event (tearing feeling, high pain level, saw a doctor within a few days etc.) but it was still declined. If you went to the doc/said anything about it occuring back a few years ago and now it has gotten worse they will likely decline the claim. Best of luck though. Public system took me about 6 months and I think I was a reasonably high priority. If you want any more info feel free to ask.

Thanks for the link DRWK ,yeah ACC dont like to cover hernias as my wife got one when she slipped in the supermarket a while ago,they did end up covering her op but she had a big battle with acc to do so.

Im hoping they will cover mine ,i pretty much used my job doing heavy lifting as an excuse,but also said it was caused while doing heavy squats.

Il post here when i get my reply.

Cheers man

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From a previous hernia Opp recipient who was denied by ACC for probably the exact same reasons. When you go back to the doctors to see the surgeon or anything say that you are willing to travel to get it fixed to a smaller public hospital. I was in Hamilton when I first went to the doctors to get mine checked out believe it or not I had my hernia for like 5-6 years before doing anything thought it was normal lol...

But what im saying is because Waikato hospital is a big cancer hospital if I was to go on the waiting list it would have taken possibly 2-3 years as I would be constantly bumped down the waiting list. I was transferred to the Thames waiting list and 2 months later was under the knife. So I would suggest getting on a smaller public waiting list while you fight the ACC claim no point if you lose the claim which could take 2-3 Months then have to wait longer to get fixed up. :)

Hey Dingle,yeah i agree with what your saying,i dont think A.C.C will cover my surgery because i hadn't reported it to my doctor.

I recon iv got a better chance of getting it sorted by going back to my doctor and get the ball rolling on the public waiting list.

Cheers

:)

• 1 year later...

Just an update on Hurnia, 

Acc wouldnt cover the op so i went back to my doc and he put me on puplic waiting list.

maybe 3-4 months later , i got op through public hostipal.

in & out same day, they look after ya real good , 

op went primo as and ya cant really notice too much different from a normal belly botton.

I was back training in the gym 6 days after op, just took it easy haha ( yeah right) still going heavy though.  ?

Pics here are 

Before op

2 days after op

2 weeks after op

Screenshot_2015-08-21-18-38-10.png

Screenshot_2015-08-21-18-33-51.png

Screenshot_2016-01-13-00-02-07-1.png