NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
inzid

Crossfit and health

Hi guys,

sorry if this is in the incorrect area but im hoping someone can help me. Since around October last year I have lost a total of 24kgs. Ive always been rather big im not huge im rather proportional if there is such a thing.

Around Easter i stopped gymming as I had a family death and had to do a bit of travelling and sort out some things. I then had a seizure which made me tired and lost a lot of confidence in weither or not it was the intense gym workout or something else. long story short ive been in and out of the gym and with my 2nd seizure im doubting myself in the gym, if I should continue etc. Im trying to do different stuff ie. swimming.

My question is has anyone heard of, or been through the same thing? I am planning on doing whats called xFit 30 which is an imitation of crossfit. Its Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and on Tuesdays and Thursdays id be hitting the pools.

Do people think this is wise? I was thinking of doing a few days to see how I go but the problem with that is once i stop i find it hard to get back into it (like now)

Any help, advice would be great. Feel free to ask questions or if anybody knows someone I could talk to then that would be great.

Thanks.

@AZIDE No never had them at the gym they have always been nocturnal. And regarding more information thats all I have, that ive had two seizures, both being at night.

I have talked to my doctor and he said its okay to go back to the gym but as i said its put a lot of doubt in my mind. Ive looked on the internet and a lot of people seem to think its fine also was just wanting to explain my situation and see what people think.

I still havent had any tests.. talked to neurologists.. so its rather annoying as ive been holding off going to the gym until i heard from certain people which just hasnt happened.

just go to the gym then if thats what you wana do. if you cbf it then dont go. while there may be actual reasons why you shouldnt workout it sounds like youre just sub-consciously making excuses. never heard of anyone having seizures hours after an intense workout because of the workout.

Go to the doctor and talk to them about it first. 

I personally knew somone with epilepsy who thought some of their seizures were triggered by intense workouts. There are probably others who have experienced similar things. 

My advice? Don't go from doing nothing straight to intense workouts. 

Build it up slowly and consistently. Go to the gym and do like a walk on the treadmill, a few sets of moderate weight on machines. If that was okay then have a day or two in between then do the same thing again. Keep doing that for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks if nothing has happened/worsened then very slightly up the intensity. Or maybe after those 2 weeks then add gentle pool sessions as well. Then after a few weeks then slightly up the intensity. 

It will take a while but tbh any sort of workout will be giving you benefits  "go hard or go home" probabaly isn't the best approach. 

If you find it difficult to go easy/slow or take days off then thats what you need to work on and where you need to focus your discipline . noone, not even a doctor, will be able to tell you if its the workouts, but if it is contributing then the only way that you're going to be able to get around it is to not jump in with intense workouts and try and get your body used to some level of workout and stick to it consistently. 

Yeah get to the the dr mate . he might put you on epilem or something to control it. My old flatmate had seizures all the time and didnt work out at all but he always had them shortly after waking until he had one and i didnt hear him and he suffocated face down on the floor all because he forgot to take his pill. You shouldnt be driving as its a huge risk to others on the road and yourself.  Good luck with the doc and im sure the gym wont have to much impact.

Cross Fit is a very popular high-intensity exercise program. Cross fit is a great way to stay fit and get some variety for those who already have a solid aerobic .It helps to make your body healthy to the max so that you are healthy, strong and in shape.