Fat loss

Daz69

Great topic, Daz. I asked a few questions about this a few years back, but I don't remember getting much in the way of answers.

You're one of those constantly-ripped people, aren't you? Did you find this tallies with your experience?

I'll have a read of this tonight when I've got time to go through it slowly. It looks like it could be heavy read!

Well thanks, Daz - you've just made me spend the evening researching leptin... very interesting, but not very productive! (I should have been organising Gymnation developments, but I figured one night off won't hurt...)

I didn't understand half of what you posted, but the half I did understand was enough to send me off looking for an explanation in plain English.

Here's a great one:

I think that the common theme here from the above studies is that to maintain a new set-point with reduced fat mass there needs to be leptin replacement therapy. Here is an fact an excerpt from the discussion from the first study:

“The ability of leptin replacement to reverse these changes suggests that leptin itself or drugs that stimulate leptin signaling may facilitate the maintenance of weight loss”.

This article disagrees with that...
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html

It seems the problem is not with lack of leptin to send the signals, but a leptin resistance meaning the signals are being ignored.

And this article I also found quite interesting, particularly for those of us on Intermittent Fasting:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html

Well thanks, Daz - you've just made me spend the evening researching leptin... very interesting, but not very productive! (I should have been organising Gymnation developments, but I figured one night off won't hurt.. 

I think that the common theme here from the above studies is that to maintain a new set-point with reduced fat mass there needs to be leptin replacement therapy. Here is an fact an excerpt from the discussion from the first study:

“The ability of leptin replacement to reverse these changes suggests that leptin itself or drugs that stimulate leptin signaling may facilitate the maintenance of weight loss”.

Is there any relevance for us in these studies you've posted Daz? It just seems like experimental research carried out on compounds to treat obesity. I'm sure you're not proposing the use of these drugs just to be able to maintain abs/vascularity all year round?

Is there any relevance for us in these studies you've posted Daz? It just seems like experimental research carried out on compounds to treat obesity. I'm sure you're not proposing the use of these drugs just to be able to maintain abs/vascularity all year round?

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of research being posted recently, just adding something for those technologically minded....

Same old questions, get kinda stale after a while...

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of research being posted recently, just adding something for those technologically minded....

No, what you've posted is good, thought-provoking stuff. But it would be good if you could post a plain-English translation for the rest of us, too! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Daz. Would you say each time you get fatter, like when you're bulking and get up to 20% bodyfat, this pushes your setpoint higher?

I don't get fat...

Not you. I'm talking about people in general. Would someone that has been fat have a higher bodyfat set-point than they would have if they had never been fat?

Hey Daz. Would you say each time you get fatter, like when you're bulking and get up to 20% bodyfat, this pushes your setpoint higher?

When I was digging around in articles about leptin and setpoints the other day, that's exactly what a few of them said. I can't find them all now, but here's one:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-1.html

...determining exactly what sets the setpoint or whether or not it can change in the long-term is an area of continuing debate. Most of what I’ve seen suggests that, if setpoint can change, it only goes up. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that it ever comes back down, even over years of maintaining a lowered body weight.