NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Beez

Trying to break past the 100kg mark

Hey all. It's been a while since my last post but I'm in need of a little advice etc.

I'm trying to get my body weight under the 100kg mark on the scales. Two and a half years ago I was tipping at a whopping 145kgs and I am now down to  112kg. Im still lifting 4 times a week with an upper lower split and I have introduced some road running to try shed a few extra calories with cardio. My eating plan is geared around 2300 calories a day now which I will be honest, I am struggling a bit with trying to keep to it as I am hungry especially towards the end of the day from work and before training.

Any tips or advice on how to try stick to this calorie goal but not feel hungry all the time while trying to break that magic 100kg mark?

Cheers

Dieting is always tough, your body does not want to be in a caloric deficit and will tell the brain its hungry making you want to eat. You can fight back!! Try to eat food that are filling without being dense in calories, like oats. Also if your like me I crave sugar all the time, I find that having atrificially sweet drinks like coke zero, tricks my brain into thinking im ingesting sugar and the craving is gone or at least dimished. Also if youre eating clean all week treat yourself to one (maybe 2*scratch_one-s_head*) meals off, eat whatever you want!!! This help you when you crave foods during the week as you can just think "only 2 more days till my meal" and you can tell yourself you can hangout just a little longer. But it all boils down to your motivation and desipline, if you can keep yourself focused on your goals when faced with temptation it can much easier say "no". You have already come very far so keep at it. 

For the cardio I would ditch the running and replace it with power walks or doing cardio in the gym 20 minutes on the cross trainer at fat burn mode. Plus going for power walk will be better for your joints so you don't run into joint problems later on in life. Perhaps start a food log on my fitness which would be a good way to keep track of your food or go and see someone who can help you with your weight lost goals 

Great work! 30kg is a load of weightloss! 

How long have you been dieting for? Its pretty stressful for your body to lose weight.. especially that much!  

Maybe your body needs a bit of a break from being in such a large calorie defecit. It could be helpful to work your calories a bit temporarily before coming down again? If you do this slowly you shouldn't gain much, if any weight back and might even lose weight or bodyfat as you raise the cals slightly before dropping them again.  

Other alternative is like terrymundo said - cheat meals or refeeds. 

I've lost the weight over 2 and a bit years. Been a slow decend but getting there. My sanity has been in lifting :) keeps me going to try to better myself and hopefully at some stage be able to have a some sort of decent physique from all the training

I'm down to 105 and have been dropping close to .8 on average a week, all the guides say I should be having around 2700 cal a day. I'm currently working through weighing everything to get my typical daily averages, and see what i'm actually eating and what the macros are. 

My workout -

I use the row machine pre workouts and are currently up to 16mins and between 3300 and 3400km - it typically says i've burnt 180 cals

working out four plus days a week ( should be a 6 day split, 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off ) but we are human .... C/t - legs - off - Sh/t -   B/b

after my workout I walk the dog round a 1.2km park circut.

I have nuts to snack on, I tried a week without and struggled, hence doing the weigh everything thing. Might have that sorted by the end of the weekend.

Hey all. It's been a while since my last post but I'm in need of a little advice etc.

Any tips or advice on how to try stick to this calorie goal but not feel hungry all the time while trying to break that magic 100kg mark?

Cheers

Hey Beez - congrats on the progress so far.  

Some things you might like to consider:

a. sticking to that 2300 cals, consider having someone help you work out a high-carb/ low-carb split.  Go hi-carb on weights days, lo-carb on cardio days. You'll have the best energy stores for weights, which promotes muscle growth, and adequate calories for cardio.

b. Look closely at meal timings - aim to put the calories close to work-outs, especially the carbs.  If you're not on the 'small meals often' kick, consider breaking your meals down into smaller, more frequent, ones - prevents the hunger pangs from getting acute.  Maybe your job doesn't make it easy, but it's definitely worth it.  

c. make sure you're getting enough water - grab a big glass of it when the hunger pangs hit, and see what effect it has. You should really be going thru a fair amount of water every day. 

d. off-topic, but just a FYI (because I've been down the same road) i'm not convinced that long-slow distance running is a good fat-burner.  it does great things for cardiovascular fitness, but for fat-burning, Tabata (High-Intensity Intervals) worked better for me.  Four, four-minute blocks of exercise, with a minute's rest between blocks.  Each 4m block is 8x 20s on, 10s off, of exercises like burpees, squat jumps, box jumps, air squats... endless choices. It's an effective use of time, doesn't need special equipment, and helped me compete at last year's Commonwealth Powerlifting Champs the lightest I'd ever been. 

Good luck

Thanks for the advice everyone.  The worst part of the day if I'm on a day shift is around 6.30-7pm if I'm on a day shift as I get home and try put kids to bed so i end up nibbling (I know its bad but hunger pangs then really suck). If I'm on a afternoon or night shift then it's pretty easy to keep it all sorted as I train first thing in the morning. 

I eat when possible as i work in theatre in a hospital so i usually have to eat on the run a lot but I kind of have it worked out when it is possible to eat.

Here's hoping I can tighten up my eating to reach that sub 100kg mark. Still loving my lifting sessions especially leg days ( I know I'm a lil strange for liking legs but I love my leg days )

will keep you all update on my progress and hopefully can take some decent pics to show progress.

I've done the weighing thing, with the food and was quite supprised. I should be having around 2700 calories, which it seems I was initially, and also making good weight loss gains and doing well at the gym. It was sugessted that i try a cleaner protien drink ( less carbs ) and drop my first meal until morning tea, by just having a piece of fruit for breakfast. Note I train at night.

This continued working with the weight loss but I have begun to plateau a bit at the gym. And did struggle on physical work days. If I ate very clean as suggested it appears I was only eating 2076 cal per day, or 2262 with a bit of graising and topping up. There have been several days where I have been very flat buy the time I got to the gym. 

The weight is still coming off but perhaps some muscle as well. 

I'm going to change back to the syntha 6 protien and top up any difference to get back to where i was and see how it goes.

You may well be just running out of fuel as I have been, you could try somthing like a one square meal mini bar or a protien drink to get you through. It's been working for me and I havn't been toping those calories up too much

Macros eg protien carbs and fats seemed to work out 40/30/30 to 37.5/27.5/35 and protien seems to be bang on 1.5/lb

Hey just throwing a question out there in terms of protein shake. Am looking at changing what I'm currently on. Can't decide between On Gold standard extreme chocolate whey or Muscle Tech Nitro Tech Whey. Opinion please :)

I would suggest using eat me supplements for your protein shake plus there shakes taste very nice and they do good service for there shipping which is free of charge. When you order of there website 

I would suggest using eat me supplements for your protein shake plus there shakes taste very nice and they do good service for there shipping which is free of charge. When you order of there website 

It says in your signature that they sponsor you. Won't that mean that your recommendation is biased?

both have good compositions

the on gold looks cleaner, but the muscle tech nitro has a few extra goodies, as in a small dose of creatine.

the muscle tech may make you feel better at the gym at the sacrifice of a bit of smoothing via the muscles retaining some extra water

not much of a worry at our sizing and bf levels

I have the on gold at the moment, it's easy on the stomach and tastes ok, quite expensive compared to some other brands.

I'm going back to the syntha 6 purly for the extra cals and carb portion. it also has a mix of protiens so has a longer delivery

One brand that I would not suggest using is horleys which is over priced where you get 33 servings in tub and end up paying 90 dollars which is a rip off in my book

One brand that I would not suggest using is horleys which is over priced where you get 33 servings in tub and end up paying 90 dollars which is a rip off in my book

What are your thoughts on the jay cutler protein range gym rat?

What are your thoughts on the jay cutler protein range gym rat?

I think the jay cutler protein range is good only seen it in gymeez Welly and the odd add for in flex mag. Overall it is a good way for jay cutler to have supplements with his name on it just like to ronni and Arnold have there own range of supplements

I have used optimum nutrition whey before but the French vanilla flavour. Have never used muse tech, was curious.

Price wise I'm leaning towards optimum due to the fact that $99 I can get a 5lb tub vs $99 for a 4lb tub of muscle tech. kind of makes sense to get most bang for my dollar.

I think you can find ON cheaper than that, maybe like &70 or $80 from Payless supplements? $100 is a rip off for that amount of protein IMO unless it was WPI which has higher protein percentage