Building Baroness

Baroness

This is my first entry into a training journal.  It wont be very exciting as I am a squishy, overweight, pushing 40 mum, who is looking to lose weight and tighten up.  I have been on this journey forever.... I have done just about every diet *sigh* I have yoyo-ed in weight, and just hit my heaviest (apart from pregnancies) weight.  I have been counting calories (unsuccessfully) on and off for 8 years.

This time I am trying something new.  I joined a gym and have started Stronglifts 5x5.  I am not logging my food (at this stage) and just making better choices nutritionally.

I had a Bioscan done at the gym when I started on 21/5/14.  Weight 75kg.  Height 170cm. Body fat 37.7%. Body fat 28.2 kgs. BMI 26. GULP...well at least its a starting point.  Bioscan rebooked for 18/06 so hopefully some improvements by then.

I have done 6 Stronglifts workouts so far.  I started with bodyweight exercises to work on form.  My first Squat session I did with 8 kgs and then I couldnt walk without pain for 3 days....So went back to body weight for all exercises.

Monday 02/06 Workout A

Squat 12 kgs 5x5, Overhead Press 9.5kgs 5x5, Deadlift 16.5 kgs 1x5.  These weights are quite easy for me at the moment, but Im steadily increasing the weight while working on form.

Yesterday, Tuesday 03/06, Appt at gym with instructor to check my form.  All lifts good, some tweaking needed and tips learnt.  Deadlift needs the most improvement.  Cardio - warm up 10mins treadmill, 30 mins elliptical program, cool down 10 mins treadmill.

Next gym session Wednesday 04/06.

Todays weight 73.4 - Yay!  I definately feel better, I enjoy my workouts, starting to feel stronger.

Wednesday 04/06 Workout B

Squat 14kg, Bench 14kg, Barbell row 14kg I was doing bench press with a 14kg barbell without any racks, then I tried on a bench machine and did 75? pounds I guess....so 34kgs?  Was able to do heavier on the machine as I cant drop the weight on my face.  Thats part of the program...to be able to use all muscles involved in a lift - picking up the weight, getting into posistion, returning weight to storage rack. But its fun to try the machines anyway....

Friday 06/06 Workout A

Squat 15kg.  I did this in the squat rack :-)  Sorry to all the gorillas that lift heavy, but I used the squat rack to do 5x5 at 15kgs.  I used a bar that weighs 15kg (no weight plates on it LOL) but it looked like a full size bar.. I knew I had to eventually get in the squat rack, so may as well start now and get used to the feeling of it.

Overhead press 12kg.  Deadlift 18kg.

Thanks Rebel, but it's a 15 kg bar cleverly disguised as an Olympic bar. Lol. 

Im aiming for the true Olympic bar soon. I'm really happy with the progress I've made so far and have anticipation for how far I can go. I love increasing the weights each time I lift. 

Currently drooling over squat racks online and contemplating setting one up at home. 

Great effort. 

Have you found a good PT who can coach squats well? or is there a specific reason you can't squat very much? 

You should be able to way more than 15kgs - so unless theres another reason I'm thinking there must be some issues with your technique or biomechanics? 

Maybe you are squatting well and are just needing to build up strength, but I'm just worried that 8kg/bodyweight caused you pain... 

Thanks Dinah. I was just really unfit when I started. Seriously unfit and inflexible. I'm doing full squats where my bum nearly touches the ground. I had a gym instructor check me and have watched videos on form too. I practiced side on in the mirror and the bar stays straight up and down over mid foot . It has been hard on my poor legs. Lol. I'm getting there.