New to weight training

Baroness

Hi all, Im new - again...I joined over 2 years ago and lost my motivation.

This time Im serious (hopefully)  I joined Jetts gym about 3 weeks ago (well re-joined really) and after one session I realised that the way Jetts is set up is not the way I want to be working out.  I am doing 5x5 and the machines at Jetts are not suitable for the program.  I felt safe there in terms of security, but I was the only person working out on a saturday afternoon and felt unsafe with no-one around to help me if I wanted help with form etc...

So I cancelled my membership.... and joined a local gym with free weights, a squat rack, and helpful staff.  Ive been going for about 2 weeks and I just completed my 6th 5x5 workout.  I wanted to get into the program a bit and read the posts on here before asking for advice and help.

Im 38 years old and 170 cm.  I currently weigh 74kgs.  My goal is 65 kgs, but adding muscle I think will push that goal weight up. I do 5x5 every 2nd day and am doing cardio on the in between days.  I had a bio-scan done at the gym when I started (ARGH! but Ive lost the readout) I think I was at 35-40% body fat ---- oh the shame, Im quite squidgy.  My goal is fatloss and muscle building... Im currently working on my diet (I overeat the wrong foods) I am eating an apple before every meal - this helps me slow down and not eat as much, as well as filling me up first.  Not an ideal diet, but Im trying.

What I want help with is a recommendation for a protein shake that I can have post workout.  I had a Horleys Crossfire after my gym session today, which was OK, but Im just wondering if anyone could tell me a basic protein shake for a noob.

Welcome to the forum Baroness you will find alot of good advice and support here as and when you are ready for it.

Nutrition is such a large part of the mix you will need to gey it sorted to achieve your goals. Do not worry about muscle gain affecting your goal it will not do that.

Personally l do not use protein powders l prefer whole foods so cannot help you with suggestions on that. But l am sure that someone will soon.

Thanks Rebel101, I appreciate your reply.  At the moment I am focusing on eating more whole foods too.  I try and have protein at every meal and cut down on processed and sugary foods.  After hating brown rice all my life, I have discovered a great recipe for brown rice salad and eat it several times a week  :-D

You have started on the right track with keeping protrin at the forefront of your needs.

It would be good for you to learn to count macros ie grams of protein carbs and fat. Then you will be able to accurately see whether you are getting the mix right. It can be surprising how much variation between what we think we eat and what we actually do eat.

Hi and welcome and good move by joining a gym that has a combo of free weights and machines. When it comes to protein powders there are lots of diffrent brands that are out there plus it depends on the cost of them. If your after a good website that keeps track of your daily macros like your carbs,protein and fats . I would suggest using my fitness pal which keeps track of your daily macros 

Hi Baroness - welcome back!

As Rebel says, nutrition is a huge part of this. Get that nailed, and your rate of progress will be exponentially faster. And that means training suddenly becomes more motivating.

It might be worth seeing a good nutritionist, or at least posting your diet in our Nutrition forum. There could be a few things we can suggest. Eating an apple before every meal sounds a little odd to me, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how it fits into the rest of your diet.

As far as proteins, Horleys Crossfire is a good one. There are cheaper proteins, but Horleys have a reputation for producing solid, quality, no-gimmick, NZ-made stuff. They've also been sponsoring competitions with us for years, so we like Horleys. Buy tons of it. :)

Thanks all for your replies. Really helpful advice. I went ahead and bought a protein powder online. Hopefully that arrives soon (today).  I had an appt at the gym today with a trainer who I had check my form on the stronglifts lifts. He said my form was very good on most lifts, with the dead lift needing a bit more work.  I have been reading Starting Strength and watching YouTube clips on form, then I practice at the gym.  I started with just body weight lifts to get the form sorted and have moved up the weights a little. I'm still lifting really light weights, but concentrating on form.

im actually really enjoying the journey...I'm not in a hurry to lift heavy but I will get there slowly.

in an aside...I picked up a bunch of Horleys carbless crunch bars at countdown. They are on special for $3.50. 

I have been a My Fitness Pal member for about 7 years and I really have lost the motivation to log my food.  I have found that an apple before each meal stops me from overheating and I can make better choices.  I'm happy with that for now.  I have protein at every meal...breakfast is eggs, or deli meat and cheese on toast, or porridge and yogurt.  Lunch is rice salad, homemade soup, or meat and cheese on toast ( bread once a day - if any). Dinner is meat and veg.  Have been avoiding cakes, sugary foods, starchy carbs ( potatoes, pasta, white rice) and cut down on bread. 

I have lost 1.6 kg over the past 10 days, so I'm happy with my progress. I might start a training journal - even though I lift piddly weights for now, the progress is keeping me motivated.

Hi Baroness l keep a daily diary of training food and general body condition.

You habe made grray progress and have in place what you need to move forward with. Just for your own info for 1 day count your grams of protein, you should be eating about 180 grams of protein a day eg a whloe egg is about 6 grams of protein. See if u come up to 180 g.

I post this video to anyone who needs help in the nutrition segment of bbing. It explains things so well and incorporates a perfect mix of science (actual science) and logic. MFP will help you get started along with this programme. You will also need to figure out how to make the diet regiment work as often they can be inpractical and its not always possible to eat freqent meals. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1HQjGaFl8c

hope it helps

• 3 months later...