One girls journey to the competitive arena......

Rebel101

Training Diary for period ending Saturday 7th June:

MONDAY 1st :

PM : Chest

Lite training today still on reduced calories following flu bug not recovered yet.

• Flat db press  4 sets 20kg 12 reps
  • Flat flys 4 sets 12 kg 12 reps
  • Incline db press 4 sets 17.5 kg 12 reps
  • Pec dec 4 sets 90 kg 12 reps

30 min cardio crosstrainer 430 cal

TUESDAY 2nd :

AM : Abdominals

• Leg raises 4 sets 18 reps
  • Crunches 4 sets 30 reps
  • Horizontal leg raises 4 sets + 5kg 15 reps
  • Azeman 4 sets 20 reps

PM : Back

• Hammer Rows 4 sets 14 reps
  • Hammer Pulldowns 4 sets 14 reps
  • Cable rows 2 sets 14 reps
  • Pullovers 4 sets 16 reps
  • Machine rows 3 sets

WEDNESDAY 3rd :

AM : Calves

• Seated calf raise 4 sets 50 kg 14 reps
  • Standing Calf raise 4 sets stack + 80kg 16 reps
  • Lying hack squat machine raises 4 sets 195 kg 20 reps

PM : Quads

• Leg extension 6 sets 100 kg to 220 kg 22 reps to 12 reps
  • Leg press 5 sets 120kg, 160 kg, 200 kg, 160 kg, 160 kg 20 - 12 reps
  • Bulgarian squats 4 sets 20 kg 30 kg 30 kg 30 kg 12 reps
  • Smith Machine hack squats  2 sets 30 kg 16 reps

Cardio cross trainer 40 mins 600 cal

THURSDAY 4th :

AM : Hamstrings

• Good mornings 5 sets 40 kg 12 reps
  • Lying leg curls 5 sets 16 - 12 reps
  • Seated leg curl 4 sets 30 kg 14 reps
  • Standing leg curl 4 sets 3 plates 12 reps

PM : Shoulders

• Standing db military press 5 sets 10 - 12 reps 20kg, 30kg, 35kg, 35kg, 35 kg
  • Single arm machine press 4 sets 10 - 12 reps 15 kg
  • Db overhead press 4 sets 10 -12 reps 12kg, 17.5kg, 17.5kg, 17.5, kg
  • Behind neck bb press 4 sets 15 - 16 reps
  • Lateral side raises 3 sets 24 + reps 4 kg

FRIDAY 5th

• Crunches 4 sets 20 reps
  • Axeman 4 sets 20 reps
  • Vertical leg raises 4 sets 15 reps
  • Horizontal leg raises 4 sets

PM : Arms

• Alternate db curls 17.5 kg db / Skull crushers superset 4 sets
  • Dips / Barbell curls superset 4 sets
  • Cable curl / overhead extension superset 4 sets
  • Concentration curl / overhead db extension superset 4 sets

Cardio crosstrainer 40 mins 600 cal

SATURDAY 6th :

Cardio

It never ceases to amaze me the power of body building to warp the mind and make me feel like an obsessive compulsive. Having had a nasty flu bug over the weekend and not being able to eat more than 1000 cal per day (roughly) how paranoid I feel over protecting muscle size I have taken almost 10 months to gain.

It is tough enough making the adjustment back to being on a reduced calorie diet with the associated feeling of loss of strength, without having to battle feeling like crap with the flue.

My only consolation is that theoretically it has only been for a small period of time and once I get back to my correct nutritional intake I will be holding the conditioning I have taken time to build.

I guess if I was one of the gym bunnies I would have been happy to eat less and be absolutely satisfied at the same time, but no that road is not for me. Having taken time to follow the plan to learn to eat more and correctly I am still committed to following the plan and eating more than I am comfortable with even on a calorie deficient diet.

Ohhhhhhh well it is off to lunch I go.....

Its difficult, for 9 months now I have assessed my performance at each workout based on my ability to lift heavier weights for more reps. This has formed the basis of my self assessments and achievement as to whether each day has been a success or needs more effort.

Now on a different nutritional program I have lost that assessment system. Not only because with dietary constraints creating changes in strength levels but also a different approach to training the physique.

Its no wonder body builders feel so much like they are loosing vast amounts of strength. I dont think we do. It is just that the nature of the training program changes so substantially at this time that our experiential self assessment system does not work any longer and we need to develop other means of defining whether we achieve success in our work outs.

I find myself pestering my husband for feedback, it does help to have the support of others.

Yes it dose help lots to have the support of others like your husband ,your trainer,co workers,friends,gym members and us gym nation members . Which makes things easy when things get hard going in one's journey to there comps

Yes it dose help lots to have the support of others like your husband ,your trainer,co workers,friends,gym members and us gym nation members . Which makes things easy when things get hard going in one's journey to there comps

gymrat do you have the support of your husband?

Sounds like things aren't feeling so great for ya! 

I dont believe that much muscle tissue is lost at all when dieting especially in a bodybuilding style and when still weight training. Biochemically there shouldnt be any reason for your body to use muscle tissue as a fuel when there is body fat and some carbohydrate reserves as well as food coming in, especially when there is only several prescious kgs of skeletal muscle to utilise before death even on a musclular girl like yourself. I'm pretty sure your body is smarter than that ;) 

I think people underestimate the impact of how flat you can get from lacking carbs and the associated water. 

Yeah maybe when you get right to the end of a diet... but youre still having 1600 cals - more than most gym bunnies! Its not nothing... 

Hope that cheers ya up ! 

Hi Dinahlady yes thank you it did.

This week has been a tough week having had a flu bug to contend with but this realistically is what happens when you are dieting, the point is I coped and completed the necessary training and nutritional repquirements. Two weeks down.

Started the week at 74.0 kg and weighted in this am at 72.4 kg so have lost 1.6 kg this week. A little more than I might have expected but that has probably arisen as a result of not eating what was required of me for 4 days.

Interestingly Aylmer has advised that it is back to more pre competition training next week as he has taken it easy on me this week having had the flu. So I have this to look forward to next week.

Generally speaking while I am feeling the effects of the diet my attitude is still focused and positive so life is still a bit of a cruise at the moment. Watch this week as Aylmer will start to punish the body to get those cuts coming out, I know he will.

Watch this week as Aylmer will start to punish by body 

lol 

Hi Azide dont understand you're comment please expain.

before you edited it was kind of a sexual innuendo

Oh I see thank you for bringing it to my attention, derrrr typical dieter head not quite skrewed on properly. Clearly I need to think a bit bit more or maybe not!

Training Diary for period ending Saturday 14th June:

SUNDAY 8th:

Cardio 40 min cycle

MONDAY 9th :

PM : Chest

• Flat bb bench press 14 - 12 reps 20 30 40 50 60 60 60 50
  • Incline db press 12 reps 17.5 kg, 20 kg, 20 kg, 20 kg
  • Flat flys 12 reps 12.5 kg, 15 kg, 15 kg, 15 kg
  • Pec dec 14 reps, 90, 4 sets

Cardio 40 min crosstrainer

TUESDAY 10th :

• Crunches 4 sets 25 reps
  • Horizontal leg raises 4 sets 20 reps 4 kg db between feet
  • Vertical leg raises 4 sets 15 reps
  • Axeman 4 sets 20 reps

PM : Back

• Deadlifts 50 kg, 70 kg, 80 kg, 90 kg, 90, kg, 90 kg, 100 kg, 90 kg various reps between 12 and 6
  • Pulldown machine / Row machine supersetted 4 sets various reps
  • Wide grip cable row 4 sets 14 reps +
  • Bent over bb row drop sets

WEDNESDAY 11th :

AM : Calves

• Seated calf raises 4 sets 50 kg 20 reps
  • Standing calf raise 4 sets Stack + 80 kg 20 reps
  • Hack squat machine calf raises 4 sets 215 k plates 18 reps

PM : Quads

• Leg Press 5 sets 40 kg, 80 kg, 120 kg, 160 kg, 160 kg, 160 kg various rep combinations
  • Leg extension / leg press / leg extension tri set 4 sets 16 reps each
  • Walking bb lunges 4 sets 12 reps 46 kg

Cardio cross trainer 40 mins 625 cal

THURSDAY 12th :

AM : Hamstrings

• Reverse hyper extension 2 sets
  • Reverse lunges 3 sets
  • Side leg press / leg adductor superset 3 setd
  • Hip thrusts 3 sets
  • Squat / deadlift combination 3 sets

PM : Shoulders

• Standing shoulder press 4 sets 30 kg 14 - 12 reps
  • Db shoulder press 4 sets 15 kg 12 reps
  • Cable shoulder press 4 sets combination reps
  • Rear delt machine 4 sets
  • Lateral side raises 4 sets 6 kg, 6 kg, 7 kg, 8 kg 20 + reps

FRIDAY 13th

• Crunches 4 sets 20 reps
  • Horizontal leg raises 4 sets 20 reps
  • Vertical leg raises 4 sets 16 reps
  • Axeman 4 sets 20 reps
  • Leg raise machine 2 sets 18 reps

PM : Arms

• Dips / seated barbell curls superset 5 sets 14 reps
  • skull crushers / standing db curls superset 4 sets 14 reps
  • close grip bench press / conc db curls superset 4 sets 14 reps
  • tricep pushdowns / he mans superset 4 sets 14 reps

Cardio cycle 40 mins

SATURDAY 14th :

Day Off

Its cold wet and miserable outside, kind of makes me wonder why the body bulding competitions are mainly held in winter in New Zealand.

On the bright side weight loss continues resonably consistently and ketosis level stays about 1+ now that I am back to my consistent diet.

Found out that I cannot replace brown rice cakes for kumara so now will need to stick consistently to kumara, until there is something else that I may want to try as an alternative as source of carbohydrate.

I have offen thought that as well why are bodybuilding comps are not held in the summer when the weather is warm. When it is a cold and wet Dunedin winters day. Perhaps have basmati rice for another option for carbs that's if your trainer will let you do that.

Basmati rice has a moderate glycemic index and we are trying to keep the glycemic index of my foods as low as possible, so no to rice at the moment unfortunately.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

I am going to try one of the new superfoods amarinth seeds or something like that.

I knew this was going to be a big week, I won a training session with Jo Stewart and today is the day I get to train with her.

We are going to train hamstrings and glutes, so looking forward to seeing Jo again it will be interesting and just a little scarey.

Will try to get a photo or two.