Cheapest/best Gyms in Wellington?

ColdPress

Hey guys, sorry if wrong forum - new here.

Just moved to Welly and am in serious need of getting back into the gym after a few months off due to work. Finally settling in so time to hit the iron, but am on a budget/don't care too much for flash gears. Back home I used to pre-pay $365 for a year at Kellys Fitness, which was just an oldschool gym - I loved it.

So just want to know if there is anything like that down here? you know, something more humble, not commercial. Just a plain old gym that charges a fair price - I don't want no $20 week contract at a big brand gym that is full of treadmills. I want the freakin real deal!

Suggestions very welcome and appreciated!

Awesome forum btw, will stick around.

Cheers!

ColdPress.

In Wellington proper nothing much is cheap - depends on what sort of training you're up to... For strength training try Powerhouse - http://www.powerhousegym.co.nz 

For bodybuilding, most of the shiny chains are similar price-wise... Les Mills in the city or Hutt Valley, City Fitness had 6-7 gyms from Kapiti, Porirua, the Hutt, the city and out to Lyall Bay.  Can't speak to Jetts or Snap. 

Snap's about 15$ a week (pretty sure its the same price in welly as here) and has barbells and dumbells - the one in welly has 2 squat racks. Its a fairly small gym but is 24 hours and not that busy apart from peak times. 

I think city fitness is fairly good equipment wise but not sure on price. Les mills is fairly overpriced but there is lots of good equipment too. No idea about powerhouse prices and havent trained there but looks like a mean gym (been there for a meet). 

I'm a trainer at the Cityfitness in Johnsonville, price depends on the contract and how desperate the club is to meet monthly membership targets *secret* Towards the end of a month if they need the sales it can get to around $15-16/wk with a month free or something. Currently I think it's around $18.90 on a 12 month. Gym's pretty good equipment wise, you'll only struggle between 5-6.30 for some barbells downstairs in the Dungeon but most people are happy to work in, got a nice community feel to it down there. 

Though as TFB mentioned, you can't go past the price/quality/atmosphere of the Powerhouse Gym on Taranaki st. If the travel doesn't bother you, it's well worth it. Though I work at Jville, I still do 90% of my training at The House. Can't beat it. 

Haha f*ck doing 4 years of uni to PT at cityfitness. 90% of trainers I've seen at cityfitness gyms dont even look like they've spent more than a month lifting

2 week course to become a city fit PT, that's what I've heard from someone who was going to do it.

Yeah, Cityfitness run their own 'Academy'

I'm the only one on staff with a Sports Science degree, I'll just say that really plays in my favour *ok*

Haha f*ck doing 4 years of uni to PT at cityfitness. 90% of trainers I've seen at cityfitness gyms dont even look like they've spent more than a month lifting

2 week course to become a city fit PT, that's what I've heard from someone who was going to do it.

I'm the only one on staff with a Sports Science degree, I'll just say that really plays in my favour Ok

I would imagine so. 

Sounds similar in the cityfit in nelson.

Fresh out of school trying to giving the community a good old dose of bro science.

I'm the only one on staff with a Sports Science degree, I'll just say that really plays in my favour Ok

lol 2 weeks. no wonder most dont look like they lift. if youre getting paid a lot better than a '2 week course' PT then all good

• 3 months later...