1RM predictor

kpat102

Hey lads,

Anyone know of a chart that can be used to predict a 1RM based off of anywhere between 5-15 reps? Its for a uni project im doing, I have a bunch of numbers of peoples RMs that range from 5-15..goal is to find out their 1RM. 

Thanks a bunch

They aren't very accurate. And I don't see what the point of them is... Who's to say if you can do 15 reps of X you should be able to do 3 reps of Y... It's about as unscientific as you could get. It all depends on how you train. 

So so assuming everything is equal apart from our training. If you train in 12-15 rep ranges and I train in a 3-6 rep range.

your 15 RM weight equals my 3 RM weight and vice versa according to this calculator. I can assure you that isn't going to be true. if you train at higher reps, you will be better at higher reps. If you train at lower reps you will be better at lower reps.

If you wanna know your 1RM then do your 1RM, don't use some calculator and think that's your max.

Hey lads,

Anyone know of a chart that can be used to predict a 1RM based off of anywhere between 5-15 reps? Its for a uni project im doing, I have a bunch of numbers of peoples RMs that range from 5-15..goal is to find out their 1RM. 

Thanks a bunch

They aren't very accurate. And I don't see what the point of them is... Who's to say if you can do 15 reps of X you should be able to do 3 reps of Y... It's about as unscientific as you could get. It all depends on how you train. 

So so assuming everything is equal apart from our training. If you train in 12-15 rep ranges and I train in a 3-6 rep range.

your 15 RM weight equals my 3 RM weight and vice versa according to this calculator. I can assure you that isn't going to be true. if you train at higher reps, you will be better at higher reps. If you train at lower reps you will be better at lower reps.

If you wanna know your 1RM then do your 1RM, don't use some calculator and think that's your max.

Agreed, but if your looking at the 5-2 rep range its obviously going to be a lot more accurate. Its just an estimation anyway. 

yeah man agreed completely. i think theyre ridiculous as well, but i need it for an assignment - i dont make the rules hahah just need to get this shit done!

Good to hear and sorry I just seen the uni part to your post, was gonna tear you a new one if it was for yourself lolz.

You can find the formulas they use for the various 1RM estimators online. I find them to be pretty accurate up to the 5 rep range mark. At the 8 rep mark, they'll start to overestimate my 1RM because I train for strength and suck at rep work. But I think it's reasonably accurate for most people.

yeah man agreed completely. i think theyre ridiculous as well, but i need it for an assignment - i dont make the rules hahah just need to get this shit done!

Good to hear and sorry I just seen the uni part to your post, was gonna tear you a new one if it was for yourself lolz.

hahahah fuckn aye, all good bro!

You can find the formulas they use for the various 1RM estimators online. I find them to be pretty accurate up to the 5 rep range mark. At the 8 rep mark, they'll start to overestimate my 1RM because I train for strength and suck at rep work. But I think it's reasonably accurate for most people.

hey bro you know of any good ones in particular? all the ones online i've found only let you plug in up to 10RM..i need 15RM due to the range of numbers i have. also need to know whos formula it is i.e. something to reference. cheers!

Anything above 10RM tends to be too inaccurate which is why they don't have it. These formulas have been tested to be accurate to within 5% of actual 1RM

Brzycki: 1RM = W x (36 / (37 - R))

Epley: 1RM = W x (1 + 0.0333 x R)

Lander: 1RM = (100 x W) / (101.3 - 2.67123 x R)

Lombardi: 1RM = W x R0.1

Mayhew et al.: 1RM = (100 x W) / (52.2 + (41.9 x e-0.055 x R))

O'Conner et al.: 1RM = W x (1 + 0.025 x R)

Wathan: 1RM = (100 x W) / (48.8 + (53.8 x e-0.075 x R))

where

1RM = One Repetition Maximum 

W = Weight Lifted 

R = Repetitions Completed 

e = Euler's Number = 2.71828 (approximately)

Anything above 10RM tends to be too inaccurate which is why they don't have it. These formulas have been tested to be accurate to within 5% of actual 1RM

Brzycki: 1RM = W x (36 / (37 - R))

Epley: 1RM = W x (1 + 0.0333 x R)

Lander: 1RM = (100 x W) / (101.3 - 2.67123 x R)

Lombardi: 1RM = W x R0.1

Mayhew et al.: 1RM = (100 x W) / (52.2 + (41.9 x e-0.055 x R))

O'Conner et al.: 1RM = W x (1 + 0.025 x R)

Wathan: 1RM = (100 x W) / (48.8 + (53.8 x e-0.075 x R))

where

1RM = One Repetition Maximum 

W = Weight Lifted 

R = Repetitions Completed 

e = Euler's Number = 2.71828 (approximately)

Damn Leeroid, How much do you charge for doing homework :-P