Another new kid on the block

B_Eden

Hey guys/gals, thought I'd better do an introduction post with a little bit about me.

I'm one of those modern natural bodybuilders I guess; high frequency traning, macro hitting, slow bulking guys.

Been training for around two years (training/eating well for less than 18 months). Plans for this year are to bulk through to around 88kg (I'm about 81kg currently at 8-10% and 6ft).

Goal lifts for the year are to deadlift 220kg and OHP my bodyweight, haven't really got any other strength goals set though. The OHP is extremely ambitious but I should get the deadlift. I'm a pretty firm believer in that the best way to build muscle is to get stronger for reps.

what are your deadlift and OHP at currently?

197kg and 68kg calculated maxes from 5RM, haven't actually gone for a heavy single on either in months. Like I said, the OHP is extremely ambitious, but if you never try you never succeed.

i would have thought both goals would be pretty realistically acheivable

I'm one of those modern natural bodybuilders I guess; high frequency traning, macro hitting, slow bulking guys.

Welcome bro. Tell me more about your high frequency training. I know a couple of guys who've been doing what I would consider high frequency, and they've both had spectacular results. I've just started following suit, so I'm intrigued to know how you do it.

Welcome bro. Tell me more about your high frequency training. I know a couple of guys who've been doing what I would consider high frequency, and they've both had spectacular results. I've just started following suit, so I'm intrigued to know how you do it.

It's a fairly standard upper lower split with heavy days and lighter days:

Heavy Upper

Heavy Lower

Rest

Hypertrophy Upper

Hypertrophy Lower

Rest

Repeat

So hitting everything once every three days basically. I'm actually thinking of changing to a push/pull/legs in the very near future, mostly because I'd like to use a little bit more volume per body part. What have you been doing/what are you doing now?

awesome man, welcome aboard... i feel your pain on the bw OHP but i think across all time being able to overhad strict press your bodyweight has always been a true display of raw strength so good goal to keep around. deadlift looks like you're not that far off now, if you changed your training a little just to focus on those 2 goals i reckon you could smash atleast the deadlift for 1rm within a month or 2

So hitting everything once every three days basically. I'm actually thinking of changing to a push/pull/legs in the very near future, mostly because I'd like to use a little bit more volume per body part. What have you been doing/what are you doing now?

Oh, I see - that's quite a bit different to what I thought you meant. I generally just train one major body part per workout. I've just started a discussion on it here: Is overtraining a crock of shit?

That is a pretty decent deadlift already that you have there.  I think you should be able to hit both of those targets fairly easy since you have only been training for two years.

What sort of program are you following?

Basically a version of

split, but with a fairly different excersise selection.

Oh, I see - that's quite a bit different to what I thought you meant. I generally just train one major body part per workout. I've just started a discussion on it here: Is overtraining a crock of shit?

I think as you advance further the volume should increase, and potentially the frequency should decrease too. I know a lot of guys who train with body part splits, and none of them have made anywhere near the progress of the guys who went Full Body->Upper/lower->3 Day Split-> etc. For beginner/intermediate lifters like myself, I don't think a body part split is a good idea.