NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
jerume

concentrate, isolate, hydrolyzed?

I have been a big user over the years of Nutratech Nutrawhey and similar products that are WPC as obviously concentrate is cheaper. About 6 months ago a saleman advised me i should change to a mainly isolate protein such as Cellucor Cor performance whey which i am currently using. Now that I have been buying this for a while the salesman says I should change to a hydrolyzed protein like protowhey as it gets absorbed a lot better and with minimal wastage. Now I have not noticed any difference in changing from WPC to WPI, so why would I spend even more on hydrolyzed? I only take 2/3 shakes a day depending on my daily requirements, I don't compete, is there any real advantage to upgrading to hydro whey?

Would love to hear what you use and especially if you compete and what you use and recommend

Haha. Tell me about it. I was in there on Friday buying my tub of Cellucor having a chat, then he takes me to the protowhey and starts explaining I should try hydrolyzed, $99 for a 2lb tub for 26 serves, there's no way I am spending that on a tub of protein, $90 for a 4lb with 56 serves of Cellucor is where I draw the line.

Anyone know the advantages of hydrolyzed if any? Like gaining 5lb of muscle in 2 weeks:D wouldn't that be great

nothing magic about it, won't help you build any more muscle than the protein powder you are already using (assuming it is a quality brand which provides what it claims on the nutritional profile). haven't heard anything dodgy about it either but from all i've seen so far there's nothing to justify spending so much more money on it.

Sounds like the salesman is doing a good job being a salesman

you were probably speaking with this guy lmao

Yeah I'm currently using Cellucor cor performance whey. I have recently learnt about amino spiking and that takes quite a few cheaper options off the list now that I was buying. I.e musclepharm combat, myofusion, delicious protein etc, so now am sticking to quality brands that don't amino spike. When your spending $90-100 every 3-4,weeks on powder i wanna make sure I'm not being jibbed! And I thought hydro was probably going a bit too far!

Am interested in what others think,and if users have splashed out on hydro and their thoughts.

Heres a kicker, eat enough protein during the day wont need to buy any. Protein powders are sold by bodybuilders who get kickbacks from the supplement companys

Gona repost vid from log says steroid be pretty much same for nattys

Buy a couple trays of eggs a week and scramble up some egg whites. Save your money for food

I have been a big user over the years of Nutratech Nutrawhey and similar products that are WPC as obviously concentrate is cheaper. About 6 months ago a saleman advised me

I got this far

Edit: may as well make it useful and read on.

Okay so please explain protein wastage.

I hope protein spiking is referring to the acute effect of leucine.  Look into it a bit and you'll be comfortable that you're doing just fine with food and WPC.  Or just food.  Whatever suits your lifestyle and budget.

The attached document is what he showed me, it made sense but there's no way I'm paying $99 for 26 serves of hydro whey. Paying for isolate is where I draw the line

post-87189-14166839768466_thumb.jpg

Damn it, all protein is wasted expect proto-whey. 

Im giving up on meat, whey, dairy and everything as it seems a complete waste of money according to this conclusive scientific research which is completely un-baised and independent.

LOL. It reminds me of those toys for preschoolers - you've got to make the protein match the hole. I don't know why I ever thought nutrition was more complicated!

So what happens if you eat the "wrong" protein that's too big for the hole? Well, if my layman's understanding of things is correct, it mostly just hangs around in the intestine, breaking down into smaller pieces that DO fit through the hole. No biggie.

LOL. It reminds me of those toys for preschoolers - you've got to make the protein match the hole. I don't know why I ever thought nutrition was more complicated!

So what happens if you eat the "wrong" protein that's too big for the hole? Well, if my layman's understanding of things is correct, it mostly just hangs around in the intestine, breaking down into smaller pieces that DO fit through the hole. No biggie.

haha exactly. When the salesman was explaining this, I felt like rolling my eyes and saying what utter bull***t mate, most bodybuilders and regluar gym goers would use WPC or a blend of WPC/WPI, and get 80% of their protein intake from foods, how have they gained muscle all these years without Hydro whey if all other proteins are to big to get absorbed?

I generally make decisions like this based on which athletes are sponsored by which companies or to simplify this process... who is on the poster! Seems like as legit a reason as any :)

I generally make decisions like this based on which athletes are sponsored by which companies or to simplify this process... who is on the poster! Seems like as legit a reason as any Smile

exactly mate, seeing as Phil Heath is the champ, We must use Muscletech, it has to be the best!*dash1*

Im going to use Evogen from now on because Hany trained both Phil and Jay and they were both Mr Os. But for the double win im also going to implement FST 7 training to double my growth for Olympia like gains

You guys are taking the piss, buying supplements because Mr O recommends it. These guys get paid to back a brand. For example would you buy something because some uses it. I think we all smarter that.