ruptured biceps

2fierce

Ruptured / teared short head. Sits up by shoulder now. It's been four years since injury. Cannot seem to get back near what I was curling.Grip seems alright. I realise I will never get back to what I use to curl. What impact will this have on

back workouts where biceps have a role.

Speaking from experience with a torn bicep (although I had mine reattached within a few days) what I was told is that it wouldn't affect my overall strength in back movements even if I didn't get it repaired because the biceps brachialis is the prime mover across the elbow joint when doing rows or pulldowns with an overhand or neutral (parallel) grip. I remember also being told this many years ago by a strongman, who said when he tore his bicep in a competition (he was at worlds strongest man level) the drs told him not to bother getting it repaired because the biceps wasn't the functional muscle of the upper arm. It basically rotates your hand and assists in flexion, the brachialis is much stronger in flexion than the biceps.

I got mine repaired asap because a) I could and b) I didn't want to have a manky bicep.

I did notice for the first 12-18 months my bicep just didn't feel the same when I was training it. I had completely torn both heads at the forearm and nerves etc were damaged so it took a long time for them to heal to a point where I could "feel" my bicep contracting and getting a pump even though I could see it contracting. And while my bicep was weaker than it had been and still is a little bit weaker then the uninjured side it hasn't adversey affected my rowing or pulldowns and I continue to get stronger in those movements. In fact I was back to doing my normal weights in those exercises within a few months of tearing my bicep and the following operation.

Hopefully this helps. At 4 years out from your injury I would imagine whatever you have going on in the gym should be answering these questions for you anyway and you will know one way or the other how your body is responding to training.

Thank you, explanation is spot on. It's a weird sensation the feeling I am get through the biceps. I can compare one side to the other, because both are torn. I just have to live with small(manky) biceps. Did you go private for reattaching your biceps.

I was lucky when I went into emergency with my bicep they decided it was necessary surgery. Because I was late 30s and active etc etc if I had gone in at 60 years old with the same injury or if I was less physical I would have had to go private.

I also just was lucky with the dr I got treated by I guess, plus the surgeon on duty said they don't get to do many biceps reattachments on heavily built guys so it would be interesting for his students. Private would have cost a whole lot.

What Harry said, biceps function is as a supinator not a flexor, it's an accessory flexor. Try spin a yarn and say you compete in sport and need maximal function from your bicep otherwise go private or go through ACC and get on a good surgeons waiting list.