NZIFBB Classes

crannie

Hi There

Just wondring if someone can help me work out the classes and how I choose which one to compete in. 

I am aiming for my first comp in Spetemeber in Hamilton

I will be in a geriatric class. That is over 40 yrs lol.  Do they have a Novice Masters Figure or Physique Class.  And how do you know which one is best to go in. 

TIA

Crannie

Hi Crannie. Welcome!

It really depends on the show which classes are available. But usually the novice and the masters classes are separate.

Physique is the bodybuilding class - judges are looking for size and musculature. Figure is more about proportions and conditioning. Broadly speaking, if you've got a muscly, stocky build you'll do best in physique. If you're more slender, try figure.

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm I look at this a little bit differently than the average person maybe thats because I have competed before or maybe because I have been a judge, I prefer tho think it is because I look at bodybuilding more holistically.

I regard body building as a sport that is for "body building".

One way of getting a perspective is to think of it as contestants starting out in a sport and as beginners this should be the "Bikini Class". Once a contectant has some experience in the gym and competing then they will look for more competition they may move into the "Shape" category that requires a little more conditioning. Having had a bit more time training and experience they may move up into the "Figure" category which requires more muscle condition and experience in getting to the contest in condition. Finally for those who have spent more time getting muscle condition on their frame the "Physique" category is the appropriate class which requires both musculature and conditioning.

Lets get it correct, aesthetically proportioned and physical conditioning are important in both Figure and Physique, a more proportionate and in condition physique will always win in either class.

But there is another way of looking at this issue, as humans age (from about 25 years) we lose muscle size and condition. Females in particular who want a healthy and active middle and older age have to protect muscle size in order to maintain health, bone density amongst other things. So if one ascribes to this thinking then it should be an aim of female body builders to protect muscle size and build the conditioning that will carry them into later years, only resistance training will do this.

In my opinion these days the Figure categories (in New Zeland) almost seem to promote conditioning at all costs, and to get recognition muscle size is lost in order to get condition. For and over 40 year old person this is not good, at this stage of life we need to be building not decimating.

Think carefully about the long term gains to be made by body building to quality lifestyle, in the end the Physique category has more to offer the over 40 year old.